Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about this powder? I been reloading for a long time but have limited experience with the 45-70. Have a nice supply of 350 grain bullets and looking for an accurate hunting load for deer so velocities do not need to be that high.

My initial thoughts are it may be a little to slow.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
snow i kind of doubt it will be slow, given the muzzle velocities listed for the gummy tips with that powder. factory ammo 325gr ftx MV is 2050 fps. and the powder is supposed to be same as factory use. given that, best bet would be load some light and chrono them.
kurtis

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Is this the standard "Leverevolution" powder? If so, you'll note it is used in rounds "UP TO" 30-30, my understanding is Hornady uses something they don't market for the heavier bullets. I"ve looked at that powder and "passed". There is load data for the LE stuff, I only have it for the 325gr bullet. I'm sure someone will come along with the reload data for the 350gr LE bullets.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
i stand corrected, i didn't notice the UP TO that mazer is referring to, thank you for pointing that out mazer, much appreciated. glad i passed on it as well when i saw it.:tee:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
No worries GronHamar! Always research powder, even if someone recommends it! Never know what is in the fine print! :biggrin:
If you are looking for a good powder for the 45-70, I'd recommend IMR-4198, a little bit goes a long way!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The new Hodgden web sight does not list this powder for the 45-70 any longer. Maybe someone else has a better link...

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Hornady doesn't post their load data publicly, you need to purchase thier manual if you want to know what they recommend you use for their bullets. Oh, and Hodgdon makes their powder, so go to the Hodgdon sight to see the specifics.

·
Registered
938 Posts
There is no published data for this powder in the 45-70 that I can find. The powder is awesome in a 30-30 but now I don't have a 30-30 I have over 7lb to burn so iv had my eye out for anyone that has tried it in the 45-70.

·
Registered
115 Posts
H4198 (AR2207) is the go to powder for the 45/70, the LE powder should be better for the 30-30 though I haven't seen it available here so I use H4895 (AR2206H) which is gives nowhwer near as much velocity.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Oh, there isn't, this isn't the powder that Hornady recommends, it's a special powder that to date I haven't seen on the market and..they haven't named it yet. Don't even know if they are going to sell it, but you can get loading data for the Leverevolution bullets.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
We use Ball C lot 2 for 30cal FTX rounds, all the way out to 200 yards they are spot on. Never had a reason to try the LE powder.
For 45/70 Reloader 7 and IMR4895 work so well, never tried anything else.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
No listing for LE powder for the 45-70 round in the Hornady 9th edition book.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The new Hodgden web sight does not list this powder for the 45-70 any longer. Maybe someone else has a better link...

IMR load data

BB

·
Registered
2,013 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
I tried this link for IMR load data but I did not see any listing for LE powder in 45-70.
Sorry, brain fart, LVR is a Hodgdon powder not IMR. I just searched Hodgdon's online data and I could only find LVR data for 5 cartridges. IIRC, they list data for is 35 Remington, 338 federal, 338 marlin, 30-30 & 25-35. I am still learning how to search Hodgdon's new online reloading data so I may have missed some of the data.

BB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts