Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like people either despise or love theses bullets. My experience has always been positive. Have shot several deer with theses bullets and all the deer died quickly. Recovered one bullet that lodged just under the hide on a buck, the bullet mushroomed perfectly and held together. Weighed 180 grains recovered, shed 20 grains. Have always had decent accuracy. What has been others experience?

·
Registered
817 Posts
I don't have any complaints as they've worked well for me in my .35 rem so far.

I don't have any experience with them in other calibers though.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not very accurate in my 45-70 guide gun. Because of limited accuracy, I never used them for hunting.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have had good results with factory loads but my 30-30 reloads really shine. The 160 grn gumy's I am getting 2350 fps from a 20" barrel with 1.5 3 shot groups at 100yds. I like using Lvr powder with a lot of my reloads and it seems the accuracy improves as I get close to max loads with this powder.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
when opening this thread I just assumed it was about the powder, love it, I have some of the factory ammo but have yet to use it and the rubber tips have hardened like granite rock over the years, for that reason you can keep the loaded gummy tips but the powder makes several calibers really shine.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
My 30-30 does not like it. My 35 rems do. I have not tried the 45-70 yet. I have yet to kill a deer with it so I cannot say what the bullet performance is.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I am neutral on this subject since I reach for my .243 or .308 when hunting out upon the great plains or in rough canyon country of our western states. My 30-30 has always done its very best work within 150 yards when hunting within forests and foothills. Plain Power Points or Core-lokts have always downed game for me! I feel that it is nutty to try and stretch the lethal distance of 30-30 shooting to 300 yards.

TR

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Since anything other than Leverevolution ammo is pretty much a waste in .308 Marlin Express caliber, I have had good luck with it. I've made up a few reloads for testing, but have yet to try them out. Have not tried any other calibers as yet.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've killed a very large cow elk with my 338 MX using gummys, only shot was from the rear at about 80 yards. I missed the spine but it put her down and the bullet went all the way through to the brisket and was recovered ( a nice mushroom ).I also killed the biggest bodied white tail I've ever collected ( see avatar ) . The first shot in the chest and the buck just stepped forward, the second DRT, range was about 65 yards complete pass through on both rounds. My 1895 shoots MOA with the gummys my 1895gs loves them and a 30/30 xlr I owned shot MOA with them. I own another 336 30/30 that shoots them OK using only peep sights. I have a Rossi 92 44 mag that I and my 2 grandsons have killed several with and it was always bang flop.
Yep, I like 'em.
Bill

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
For whitetail... I don't use anything else in my 336 XLR .30-30 and 1895GS. Accurate, powerful, flatter trajectory, and excellent bullet performance. Tough to beat that.
But... that's my experience. Others have different opinions.
Just my $.02.

·
Registered
246 Posts
They shoot well out of my 35 rem. and a 30-30 encore mgm barrel and a 30-30 xlr. But a 83 model 336 hates them. Shot one doe with them seemed a lot more damage and blood shot meat than the Winchester 150’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
979 Posts
First time taking my 45-70 for a black bear hunt in Saskatchewan I used the 325gr Hornady's with great success. About a 40 yd shot and complete pass through. Bear didn't go anywhere. They worked good for me but every rifle is going to have it's preferences in regards to what it shoots most accurately.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
I have nothing but a positive response for this line of ammunition.
A 1952 Winny 94 shot it very well, my 1985 336 likes it and my 1952 336A in .35 makes a clover leaf pattern at 100 yards.
All critters I have killed with it have been pass throughs.
Andrew

Reactions: Dads35

·
Registered
184 Posts
My 45/70 Guide liked the 325gr. Very accurate out to 100 with open sights. Didn’t shoot them beyond 100yds

·
Registered
239 Posts
Very accurate in my 336 30 WCF micro groove a big "fail" in my 1990 444 microgroove using factory ftx. I could go back an muck around working up 444 reloads but when 265 Hornady's Superformance projectile (unfortunately now discontinued but I have a stash to last me a while) and 270 Speer DC work so well why try and fix something that isn't broken. All you can do is give them a go in your rifle and that will give you the answer.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
The only experience I have with the LE's is the 200 gr 35 Rem pill which stuck the 6 point buck at 15 yards dead thu both front shoulders breaking the near shoulder with a exit hole about the size of a buckshot (small). The deer was not knocked down but instead was in a full gallop when the dust settled with left leg sticking straight out not touching the ground. He ran 75 yards and cut into a thick mass of vines and was dead when I got to him with a trickle of blood coming from his nose. Thee was no blood where he was stuck or where he ran. The rifle was extremely accurate with the LE's and was sold to a friend on the forum and he killed two bucks the following year with the rifle with the same results no blood and a long tracking job with a killing shot. I want to believe in the LE's but something in the back of my mind tells me that they are not for me. I have thought about picking up some for my Marlin 7-30 Waters imp but am having second thoughts.

·
Registered
651 Posts
LE, factory or reload, shoot 1” in my 336. I’ve shot a bunch f deer with them. None have gone more than 20yds.
Just sighted in my 336a 32 spl with them, shoots high with these.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
My 336 and a Winny 94 in 30-30 shot them in tight groups at 100 yards. My 336A in .35 shoots tight groups with them. All but one critter, a coyote that did not want to die after having both lungs blown out, dropped in its tracks with complete pass through.
I have only positives to say about the cartridge.
Andrew

1 - 20 of 46 Posts