Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my hands on some .30-30 LEVERevolution about the same time I came upon a nice scoped 30AW in a pawn shop. I've shot a bit now. At 100 yards, there does not appear to be much improvement in accuracy. I'm getting 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch groups with the LE and with with 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt. 170 grain Remington runs a smidge bigger and 150 grain Winchester seems to be about the same as the Remington 150 and the LEVERevolution.

The interesting thing is that the LEVERevolution shoots far to the right, 4-5 inches, and only a little higher than the standard ammo. There may be a reason that Marlin changed the twist in the XLR. The improved velocity at longer ranges, of course, makes the more expensive Hornady ammo nice if you might have shots at longer ranges, but for the 60-100 yards we were shooting from the stand last year it doesn't appear to be needed.

I'm happy with the results but of course its only representative of my rifle in my hands. This is my first .30-30 - sure is fun to shoot.

Gary

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Good groups .. thats very acceptable and more than good for hunting .. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
15,953 Posts
Gunjunkie said:
Good groups .. thats very acceptable and more than good for hunting .. :lol:
It'll be interesting to ascertain the differences of the LEVERevolution® performance in the standard 1-10" MicroGroove® vs the 1-12" twist of the XLR (Ballard Rifling).

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
My 30-30 doesn't appear to like the leverevolution rounds, sometimes they are all over the target. I tightened scope and mounts up thinking I was a little loose and so far no improvement. 2 1/2 to 3" groups. With the Remington 170 gr corelokt it just loves. 1 to 1.5" groups at 100yds.

Going to take it one more time and try again to zero at 100 yds with the Hornady leverevolution 160gr. If this time I get the same results I will stick with the Remington 170gr.

Funny thing about it though my 35 Rem just loves the Leverevolution in 200gr always shoots 1 to 1.5" groups. Rifles are sometimes like women you just don't know what to think.

fknipfer

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Welcome, zuikowarrior. IMHO 30-30 is the cartridge for a first-levergun purchase.

It's obvious by this short thread that every gun is a law unto itself. My 1965 Marlin has had 3 rounds of LEVERevolution through it for a 0.767" group at 100 yds. with 4X scope. It may not duplicate that regularly but it's a good start.

Does zuiko- refer to Olympus camera lenses? I have a whole bucket full of those but haven't shot a picture with any of them for at least 12 years.

G

·
In 35 Rem., I had a very good experience w/ the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo. However, I shot at 50 yds. , open sights, w/ Williams FP .050 Rear sight. POI was about 2.5" higher. Accuracy was excellent. One ragged hole. Perhaps they open up a bit @ 100 yds :?: I'll have to find out. But I'd rather shoot a scoped rifle for 100 yd. accuracy tests..oh, shoot.....guess I'll have to buy another rifle :D :D .

I'm am a total .35 Rem Fan, but I must agree w/ Wyostillhunter. The 30-30 is the best first levergun cartridge. Unless you're a reloader, the 30-30 is much more available and it's cheaper too.

MMM

·
Super Moderator
15,953 Posts
Does anyone know why Marlin® barrels the new 336XLR with 1-12" twist & Ballard Rifling instead of the standard 1-10" Microgroove like other 336's in 30/30?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I think they did it to stabilize the faster Hornady Ammo in the 24 in barrel.. but only Marlin can answer that one..

·
Super Moderator
15,953 Posts
Gunjunkie said:
I think they did it to stabilize the faster Hornady Ammo in the 24 in barrel.. but only Marlin can answer that one..
Thanks for the info GJ. I know that a faster twist stabilizes heavier bullets; ie 1-38" vs 1-20" in the trip 4. I did not know you needed a slower twist for higher velocity bullets of similar weight.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I have no clue.. just what I think.. or that the ballard needs that twist to work better rather than the 1:10.. Tomray can probably answer it.. I sure can't

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Does zuiko- refer to Olympus camera lenses? I have a whole bucket full of those but haven't shot a picture with any of them for at least 12 years.
Yes, Zyiko makes lenses. I have a few for my Olympus.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Zuiko is the name of Olympus camera lenses. Zuikowarrior is my handle on the Olympus email list - a bunch of fanatics much like you boys. I wasn't feeling creative when I joined Marlin Owners and just used the same handle.

Considering my performance on the range yesterday with my Marlin, perhaps i should have chosen TriggerJerk.

Gary

·
Registered
485 Posts
all this talk about the new xlr is akillin me hope i dont get to hold 1 cause the wife might get mad :) got stickey fingers think there going for over $600?, my brother has his ffl so might save a little. i think i would hold out for a 35 as i have 30 cal covered.i stick with the same handle on every board i am on easier to keep track of my self :lol: mike243

·
Super Moderator
15,953 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
i allway figure in tax :) but forget to tell my wife i need acc... will get brother to price em latter this year when the :shock: of my lifetime sportsman lic wears down alittle :) mike243

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
dawei,
Posting that link is just plain wrong.
Cruel even...
WHY would you do that...

Really?

I'm going to look at it again.
cw

·
Registered
485 Posts
he just aint rite is he :lol: its the only 30cal or bigger rifle i have thought about getting in several years & want a 35 im not in any rush & will let them get any bugs worked out :) mike243

·
Registered
562 Posts
Last Friday I got out to the range to try out the new LeverEvolution ammo in my .35 Remington.

Looks like it's more accurate than my own handloads :cry:

I got an excellent group at 50 yards but haven't had the chance to try it at anything longer than that yet. I found it actually hits an inch or so lower than my handloads. Most folks seem to say they are hitting higher. Just differences in the gun I think. I don't believe it has anything to do with velocity.

8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the same results with my 30AW. the CXP2 was amazing, I got 3 touching at 100yds! Then I switched to the hornady, it was about 6" higher and about 4-5" to the right and the group was about 2-3"s don't know why that would be. The guy at the range tried to tell me I was pulling it, which I know I wasn't sandbag rest and I have a good squeeze.
Looks like I will stay with the CXP2's

zuikowarrior said:
I put my hands on some .30-30 LEVERevolution about the same time I came upon a nice scoped 30AW in a pawn shop. I've shot a bit now. At 100 yards, there does not appear to be much improvement in accuracy. I'm getting 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch groups with the LE and with with 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt. 170 grain Remington runs a smidge bigger and 150 grain Winchester seems to be about the same as the Remington 150 and the LEVERevolution.

The interesting thing is that the LEVERevolution shoots far to the right, 4-5 inches, and only a little higher than the standard ammo. There may be a reason that Marlin changed the twist in the XLR. The improved velocity at longer ranges, of course, makes the more expensive Hornady ammo nice if you might have shots at longer ranges, but for the 60-100 yards we were shooting from the stand last year it doesn't appear to be needed.

I'm happy with the results but of course its only representative of my rifle in my hands. This is my first .30-30 - sure is fun to shoot.

Gary

1 - 20 of 24 Posts