Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Marlin Addicts and Happy Friday. The March issue of American Rifleman arrived in the mail. They have an interesting article on Hornady's LEVERevolution ammo by the Shooting Editor, Glenn M. Gilbert. The author compares the ammo in 30-30 165gr. to Winchester 170gr. Power Point and in .450 Marlin 325gr to Hornady 350gr Interlock. The increase in trajectory, velocity, and downrange energy of this ammo compared to the standard fodder is impressive. I gotta go buy some. As a bonus, they included a picture of the XLR in .444 Marlin with a silver matte scope and blued mounts. It looks sweet. Anyway, I have no affiliation with Hornady, Marlin, or the American Rifleman aside from being a member of the NRA, I just wanted to share my impressions with some kindred spirits. :)

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Welcome to the forum ,, Yep good article for sure..

G

·
Well my less then unbiased opinion would be for anyone with a rifle in one of the calibers to give them a try . Worst thing that could happen is that you wasted $20 if they don't shoot well :!:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Gunjunkie and 6pt,
First off, Thank You kindly for the welcome. I'm hoping that Hornady will soon offer the bullets for handloading. And when they do, I hope they have something for the .375 Winchester. That would be a hoot.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Big Med and one other are only two kills with new ammo... One Deer and One Hog.. will be while before I get to try on animals..

·
Registered
101 Posts
BorderBrewer said:
Hey Gunjunkie and 6pt,
First off, Thank You kindly for the welcome. I'm hoping that Hornady will soon offer the bullets for handloading. And when they do, I hope they have something for the .375 Winchester. That would be a hoot.
I am also waiting for the bullets to be offered for the Leverevolution ammo., for handloading. I am guessing that we will need a seater die plug to accomodate the pointed bullets. When the bullets become available, I am going to call RCBS, about this.

G

·
BorderBrewer said:
Hey Gunjunkie and 6pt,

My friend I like you would prefer to load my own. And with these bullets I bet it will be awhile before they sell the bullet by itself. I have a 460 S&W MAG and I like the bullet in the factoty load , which happens to be a 200 grain SST type bullet. After I bought the pistol I called Hornady to find out when just the bullets would be available. The answer was once we get significantly ahead of production needs for loaded rounds we will then address that issue. And the Leverevolution slugs will be the same. Sounds kinda like Hornady is forgetting what got them where they are :? Seems to me they sold just bullets a hell of a lot longer then they've been selling ammo :!:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well, I'm not interested in loading my own, so I'm glad they're doing it for me :) , I'm sure they'll get caught up and they DID say the bullets will be available then. Can't blame them for striking while the irons hot.
In my own semi formal tests, there WAS a SIGNIFICANT increase in penetration, and expansion vs the 2 big factory offerings.
While you can only make a deer so dead... it did the job nicely on the one I took with it.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I see it a longer range mostly... under 100 the old stuff still kills dead.. but if you have sited for Hornady new and long shot presents itself.. then hold over is taken out of the picture.. ( if you use the old standard and site 2'' high at 100.. ) :lol:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Gunjunkie, I posted back in Dec. about using the 30-30 leverevolution on 3 deer during our antlerless season. Nothing like having Midway only 4 miles away. 8) I really liked the performance and it was very easy to sight in. Quite accurate. Won't rewrite the posts but they are back there if interested. Rick

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
lantrad said:
Gunjunkie, I posted back in Dec. about using the 30-30 leverevolution on 3 deer during our antlerless season. Nothing like having Midway only 4 miles away. 8) I really liked the performance and it was very easy to sight in. Quite accurate. Won't rewrite the posts but they are back there if interested. Rick
Don't know how I missed the post.. but all Dec is gone from board .. : :cry:

I remember the post on the 23rd now.. How I forgot it I"ll never know. But yep was my mistake.. so now we have a few that have killed with it.. the more the better..

So you got three??? When's Supper ??? :lol:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Supper? :D You just missed it last night. UUMMMM deer stroganoff!! God my wife can cook. No wonder I can't lose any weight! :roll: GJ, on #2 and #3 I pulled a double and the easiest shot would have made it a triple but, I was out of tags. :? With my bad back 2 was enough anyway. Rick

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I have a few pks of sausage left is all .. hope this year can get two myself..

·
Registered
697 Posts
GJ, too bad you're not closer. I took 2 with my bow, 2 with my 336A 35 rem. and 3 with the 30-30 leverevolution. Gave 2 away and put 5 in the freezer. Still need to go to the processer and get breakfast sausage, polish, and brautz made. Glad you reminded me. :D Rick

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I know where Columbia is.. I have good friend in St Louis....IL..

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Here are a couple pics of the bullet that I shot a large doe with in the late season. It was about a 200 yard shot straight on. The bullet entered just slightly right of the center of the deers chest. It took out the aorta, the left lung, several ribs and the shoulder blade from the inside and traveled between the meat and ribs ending up near the hind quarter. The deer fell dead on the spot it never took a step.

As far as I know Hornady plans to make the bullets available for reloaders once they get caught up on their ammo supply. I drilled that deer with a straight on shot no hold over, just put the cross hair on the chest and BANG!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I posted my buddy Pete's hog last week. He used the LeverRevolution in his 35SS LTD. It shot excellent at the range and dropped the hog on the spot. I'm not sure how well the bullet did compared to any other because he was shot in the head.
I haven't had a chance to try any, yet. I like my 180gr Speer's so much, I can't see changing anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts