Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to reloading. I am wanting to reload for my 44 magnum rifle and 357 magnum rifle. I like to shoot the Hornady Leverevolution factory loads so I figured I would just try to replicate those in my hand loads. I bought two pounds of the leverevolution powder And a box each of the 357 and 44 magnum bullets. I finally scrimped up enough cash to buy some primers for each a few weeks ago. Well I thought I would hit the net today and find out how much of this leverevolution powder to use in the 44 magnum. I searched and searched and couldn't find it so I thought I would check the Hodgdon info online since they make the powder. Still no info on the website about the 44. I tried to contact Hodgdon but no phone number. I called Hornady. Talked to a rep that said well that powder is not exactly what we use in our leverevolution ammo. Basically said Hodgdon called them up and said they developed something close and paid them a royalty to use the Hornady and Leverevolution name. This is False advertising at its finest. I said this is just an accident waiting to happen. He said well it won't be our fault if people load it without published load data. To which I replied have you ever heard of a bullet puller and a little process called reverse engineering?? I said somebody is going to pull your bullet and weigh the charge and make their own because they think they are using what you guys use. I said some lawyer would be all over this and own about half your company. Up next I guess I will email Hodgdon.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Have you ever looked at the burn rate of that powder? You know there are more than one cartridge called Leverevolution. Gotta be smart enough to look at tue published data before you start reloading. In most cases lawsuits are stupid lazy Americans looking for a payday. You see it in the news everyday.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update after finding a number to contact Hodgdon. I told the Hodgdon rep what the hornady rep said and he basically called the guy a liar. He claimed it was the exact same powder that Hornady uses in their leverevolution ammo but then couldn't explain why you cant use it in a 44. I said well what if somebody pulls the bullet and measures the charge then loads up a batch of 44? He said the bullet would become stuck in the barrel. He said the powders look totally different and nobody would make that mistake. I said I might have since I am totally new to reloading. He then said well believe what you want to believe about the powder but we make it and I know. I said well the one thing I do believe is that you sir are a liar and full of it

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no clue as to burn rate. That is why I seek help from experienced people. I am plenty smart thanks. In many cases lawsuits come from companies trying to make a quick buck by putting off an unsafe product clone.
Have you ever looked at the burn rate of that powder? You know there are more than one cartridge called Leverevolution. Gotta be smart enough to look at tue published data before you start reloading. In most cases lawsuits are stupid lazy Americans looking for a payday. You see it in the news everyday.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I never called you stupid. I called most people who file lawsuits stupid trying to make a quick buck. Kind of like damn you mean coffebis hot! They should have told me. Give me some money. You just need to slow WAY down and read the reloading book and then seek out advice from experienced reloaders. If yoh don't sooner or later you will hurt yourself and that will all be on you, not some company. There are powder I which the numbers are very similar but the burn rates are way different and you will get hurt if you start substituting.

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never said you did. I appreciate the input. I have been sitting on this reloading equipment reading and learning for almost a year and was finally ready to start or so I thought. I am careful. I just appreciate good customer service and not being lied to by companies especially when peoples safety are at stake. Hodgdon and Hornady need to decide which company is telling the truth before somebody gets hurt.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Hodgdon has long advertized their leverevolution powder for reloaders as the same as what is used in 30-30 factory ammo. When leverevolution powder was made available for public use this was a know fact. Though the powder is designed for the 30-30 Winchester it can be used in other applications such as 25-35 Winchester, 308 Marlin Express, 338 Federal, and 35 Remington. In other words, other than for the cartridges I just mentioned, the Leverevolution powder available to the public is not recommended and Hodgdon and Hornady make that clear to all that follow basic load manual recommendations. Go outside those recommendations and you're on your own.

That's why you won't find load data for the 44 mag or 357 mag. You simply didn't do your homework.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wasted alot of time and money trying to reproduce that 357 leverevolution round. Tried trimming cases, not trimming cases, hs6, 2400, magnum primers, standard primers. Never could get that minute of gnats ass accuracy like the factory stuff. Finally gave up, and realized i dont need that kind of accuracy every shot I take, but if i do i will pay the high price of those factory loads that hornady had a black magic woman cast a spell on.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Not to pile on but following up on what Bryan and Gohon said, there are LE rounds from 357 to 450 Marlin. How would it be possible for one powder to give that kind of performance across that diverse of a caliber range? I,like you, am just sticking my toe into the reloading world so I'm not claiming to be an expert and looking down my nose at you. I think kayknjames had a good tidbit to offer about his attempts at matching the 357LE rounds. Either way good luck and be safe.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Save the LVR Powder for your .30-30WIN. That's What it was Designed For.
Works Great in the .35Rem too. LVR Likes Heavy Bullets & High Velocity 4 Better Accuracy.
IMHO I believe you'd be Better Off Using Lil'Gun w/ the LeveRevolution Bullets.
So Far (At least in My .357 JM 1894C) I get the Best Accuracy w/ 16.7gr Lil' Gun & 158gr Hornady XTP-FP.
In a 44Mag you should Probably Try 23-24gr of Lil' Gun & the Hornady 240gr XTP-FP.
This Should give you around 1700-1800fps & May Prove to be Quite Accurate in your Gun.
Remember to Start off 10% below this (22gr) & Work Up Slowly Till Accuracy Improves Or Falls Off.
Just a Suggestion. Lil' Gun & XTP's Are what Works Best 4 Me.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Wasted alot of time and money trying to reproduce that 357 leverevolution round. Tried trimming cases, not trimming cases, hs6, 2400, magnum primers, standard primers. Never could get that minute of gnats ass accuracy like the factory stuff. Finally gave up, and realized i dont need that kind of accuracy every shot I take, but if i do i will pay the high price of those factory loads that hornady had a black magic woman cast a spell on.
I just use one of Hornadays listed loads for the 44 mag. using that 225 gr. bullet , with LiL'Gun powder , and it work Pretty Good in my rifle ....

Dave

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
As others have said, there isn't a powder made that would be ideal for 357 mag up to 450 marlin. Some might work in them all (unique) but they are not going to give you max performance. Lilgun will get your speeds up near max in the 357 and 44 so that is where I would start.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I've read where Lil' gun ran extremely hot and burned out throats and barrels at an unusual high rate. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
IIRC That Is Usually Associated w/ Hvy Loads of Lil'Gun & High Rate of Fire in a Revolver.
That Said, I Only Use Lil' Gun 4 Hunting Loads anyway.
For All 'Round Use, I Load 6gr HS-6 & Mag Primer w/ a Cast 158gr RNFP.
Very Accurate & Plenty of Power for Small Game & Targets.
US58

Reactions: bryan alder
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.