Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, happy Lords Day!

What's the general consensus on the 265 gr Hornady Leverevolution ammo. My gun is a 1994 production with 1:38 Microgroove twist. I hear the FTX tips Hornady is really only accurate in a 1:20 Ballard barrel. Any truth to this?

Logic (yeah right on a shooting forum) seems to dictate that slower twists are better for the lighter boolits, so what am I missing (get it)?

All kidding aside, opened to contract opinions here.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Give them a try. They should work fine in your microgroove. I have heard that some guns don't shoot them well,but I don't think the twist rate on a bullet under 300grs will matter much. Generally the slower twist rate will stabilize a larger bullet much better. At least that has been my experience.
JB

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
I have no use for the Gummy Bear Bullets, but reading from people whom have shot them in a 1-38 MG, it seems the MG can and will shot the GB's, what I have gathered is a dirty fouled barrel will not shot the GB's, so I would get a can of Foaming bore cleaner, clean my barrel, a couple of times, lube the barrel and give it a try! It would be a nice test to try your barrel before cleaning and after to see if this really is true!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I fired off some test groups with the gummy loads compared to the 240 gr. Remington flat nose and they were not as accurate out of my model P. In all fairness though my shoulder was bruised pretty bad by the time I got the rifle zeroed in to my satisfaction and started firing groups. Might have been flinching a little. edit to add: My P wouldn't feed the gummy tip ammo at all when I bought it. I polished out the magazine tube till it looked nickel plated on the inside then replaced the magazine follower with the updated factory Marlin part and now it feed them perfectly.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
It's not the weight of the projectile, but the length of it that determines if it will shoot well out of a certain twist. That and velocity seem to be main factors. DP

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Plenty of good advice. It seems we are hearing from more MG barrels having luck with the Leverevolution. Like Starrbow said, some have had success after scrubbing their MG barrel.

Like DP said, it's mostly about the length of the bullet. The only commercial 44 cal bullet that is longer than the 265 FTX is the Beartooth 405gr LFNDCG. The Hornady 265 FTX bullet is considerably longer than any of the commercial 300gr bullets. On top of that, a good part of that length is in the ogive, meaning it is unsupported weight. If you take away the gummy tip, the bullet is almost the same dimensions as the Hornady 300gr XTP bullet.

Here is a pic with the FTX compared to the 265 FP (left) and the 300 XTP (right).
ftxcomparison5003_zps5c3a719d.jpg
On the back row of bullets, the 300 XTP fills in the empty space. On the far right, is the 300gr Barnes Buster bullet which is the 2nd longest 44 cal jacketed bullet, 2nd to the FTX.

Bottom line, nobody can tell you how your rifle is going to shoot those FTX bullets. You are going to know when you shoot them.

·
Super Moderator
16,019 Posts
I can only speak from my personal experience. In my 24" 1:38" 1966 MG and my 22" 1:38" 1988 MG 444 rifles; Hornady® LEVERevolution® 265gr FTX® ammunition shoots PATTERNS, not groups. I shoot the Hornady® Superfomance® 265gr Interlock® JFP in factory ammo. I use the same bullet in my handloads; as well as the Beartooth® 290gr LFNGC (296gr total weight). Two inch (2") 3 shot groups from the bench at 200yds is the norm!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Can an person file tip off to make shorter or make flat nose? Ino this an stupid question an may get hammered but just asking SO plz be easy

·
Super Moderator
16,019 Posts
Can an person file tip off to make shorter or make flat nose? Ino this an stupid question an may get hammered but just asking SO plz be easy
Not a safe thing to do; filing off the tip would still allow detonation of rounds in the magazine tube.

·
Registered
207 Posts
File off the tip of what? The Leverevolution ammo? Why would you do that? The gummy tip is the entire point of the bullet although its mostly a gimmick.

Using factory ammo, shortening it doesn't do anything as the case is shortened so that it meets Max length.

If you are reloading, then get different bullets that are designed for what you are wanting.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
450 Posts
I mistakenly loaded some in full length cases (444 newby mistake) and have trimmed the tip back to a workable length. There is still enough "gummy" to prevent a magazine detonation and it doesn't seem to affect the accuracy as compared to loading a full tipped round directly into the chamber.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it seems like I should scrub out my barrel really well, lube it and give them a try. Or re barrel my gun with a 1:20 Ballard lol.

Reactions: jbaker30

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
So it seems like I should scrub out my barrel really well, lube it and give them a try. Or re barrel my gun with a 1:20 Ballard lol.
Eagle Rider from my meager :hmmmm: experience with the 444 MG there is enough great bullits to play with without going to the gummy tips, all these will shoot MOA or better and it is doubtfull if the gummies will work better at distance, because the 444 just isn't a long distance round. 300gn XTPs with 47.5gn of H322 Zeroed for 100yds drop 11" at 200yds, anything after that for me is a guess.

Reloading Gummies is a real P.I.A. with the short cases and I dont know what you need to do as far as Dies go, so I gave them a miss after I bought a box and found out that the cases needed to be shortned about 3/16"

Then of cause there is always Lead to start playing with.

GUS

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks. I have a loading for H335 and Speer 240 gr pistol bullets (jsp,s). They're almost a semi waded cutter shape with a jacket. I took a six at 110 yds last year coming out of the timber as I was crossing the edge of a field. It was a first light shot. Rain made me late to get to the stand and we wound up in nearly the same place at the same time. Right place right time with the wind in my face. Anyways, my load performed well. No question. Dropped in his tracks. It was a boiler room shot. He kicked twice as the lights were going out.

Anyways, the gummies intrigue me. I'm not planning on getting beyond 150 max with the trip' 4. I have used leverevs. in the 35 Rem (336). They do perform better them my own loads will in that rifle. So I figured I'd give them a chance.

My trip 4 load is an 1" at 100. I don't think the gummies will get any better than that.

I called Hornady yesterday. They said if the rifling in my MG barrel is crisp then they will work well for me. And, he said, I'm either gonna be very happy with them or really unhappy with them. I'm gonna grab a box and see how they do. That said, I prob would not load them myself, too much case trimming is required.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
It says on the box of the 444 Hornady LE/FTX that they are recommended for rifles with the 1:20 twist rate, but the only way to see how they do out of your rifle is to try a box. Like most things, my reading says some with the 1:38 like 'em... some don't. For info, you may have to replace the magazine follower in older rifles with the newer "dimpled" type to avoid any feed/load jams with the gummy tip. Or you may wish to load a different flat nose round in first, then load the rest LE "gummies" just to try them out though to avoid possible issues. That, or just do the one in chamber at a time method. If they shoot well out of your rifle, then change the follower later if you want to keep using that ammo; but the new followers aren't expensive.
Good luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Did you clean your barrel before hand?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Barrel was pretty clean.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts