Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hi western auto. I have taken 5 deer with the 30/30 LE bullets. 4 whitetail and 1 mule deer. I only recovered 1 bullet on a very large bodied mule deer buck. Even recovered the red tip! I hit him 3 times and 2 of the bullets were pass through. Trouble with me is I shot them till they are down. That little lever gun is just too easy to keep on shooting I guess. I have pics posted somewhere on this sight. Ill see if I can find them. In my gun they shoot exceptionally well. Seems like the bullet weight was 112-130 grains recovered. I'll see if I can find that also.

LE bullets open fast much like a hollow point. When they hit bone the bone shatters in my experience. They are as good a load as you can find for the 30/30. Especially if you are in an area where a 200 yard shot might be needed.
Pb

·
Registered
363 Posts
I haven't taken too many deer with the 160 gr. FTX bullet. The first one I shot with the projectile was a scrawny little 120 lb buck at a whopping 30 yards. It turned the heart / lung cavity in to frothy pink goo. The animal absorbed the hit and collapsed.

I've shot more pigs with the FTX and at longer distances than my local whitetail hunting would allow. I haven't had to use more than one of them per critter yet.

The terminal ballistics are good, the accuracy out of my rifle is good. I really don't have much of a reason to shoot anything else aside from sometimes hunting in a lead-free zone out in California, where I use the 140 gr. MonoFlex homogeneous gilding metal bullet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have taken 8 Whitetails, 3 bucks and 5 does with the Hornaday Leverevolution .30-30 160 grain. All in my Marlin 336 with Weaver K4 scope. Closest was 15 yards, longest 95 yards. All small 100 lbs or less Texas Hill Country deer. All shots passed through and all kills the internal organs turned to mush, unrecognizable. I keep 3 or 4 boxes on hand at all times and is the only ammo I have used sense it came out. I used to use Winchester Silvertips 170 grain, but some deer ran up to 100 yards with solid heart/lung hits. Withe the Leverevolution all 8 are DRT.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Killed two does at 200 yards. Both went down within 20 yards of good shoulder hits. Bullets expanded well and passed through. Think the 8 pt in my Avatar was one that dropped DRT at about 60 yards with an FTX bullet. Held on a walking buck in the neck expecting to hit in the shoulder. it stopped just as the shot went off. The hit was in the neck and then down. Recovered bullet in spine.

Killed at least three other does and another 8 pt. with the bullet but all those shots passed through. Can't remember each result but surely got them. I kill 8 - 10 deer a year and they all blend together in my mind over the years.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
I've taken mule deer with LE factory ammo in 30-30, 308 ME, 338 ME and 35 Rem. I have never recovered a single bullet, always shoot for the heart/lung area of the deer. Chest cavities have always contained mush, most have simply dropped and none have done more than a 20 yd stumble. DP

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
Every one I fired at a deer resulted in a gutting and skinning session. Most were recovered including the 45-70 LE slugs. They expand dramatically under 100yds. If you don't need the extra distance capability stick with Fed blue box 150FP at much less cost.

·
Super Moderator
26,087 Posts
I can't give you a report on the 30-30 160 grain Hornady LEs--I haven't used them in a hunting situation yet. +1 to what dpe.ahoy has posted--the 35 Rem and 308MX Hornady LEs I have used on deer dropped them on the spot. All shots were between 30-75 yards through very thick hardwood timber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've shot three deer with them in my 30/30 good blood trail in all three only went twenty five yards and dropped farthest one went bout forty yards one was shot at fifteen yards away saw her drop twenty five yards other two shot at forty five yards and sixty yards very accurate love Hornady leve 160 grain all I use three shots three kills only been using them for two years can't wait for this year bought two more boxes I stock up on them all I can

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.