Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my 336 Marlin 30-30 out of the safe last night to show it to one of my sons and was going to check it for being loaded before giving it to him and couldn’t get the lever to cycle. I couldn’t find a problem with it so I put it back in the safe until I could check it. This morning I started to take the lever off, before gong to work, and it will not come off. It was working fine when it was used last. The rifle is about 2 years old and I have never had a problem with it. I am looking for suggestions for what the problem could be.

Thank You

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
Remove the butt stock and look for problems there. Look through the loading gate for anything. Not finding anything assume corrosion not mechanical pour some Kroil or some other lube down the bore but a good penatration oil would be better. Let it set for 8 hours while you are at work so you won't get anxious come back home and try it. Hope I've helped

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swany, thanks for the response but I don’t think corrosion is going to be the problem. I clean all of my rifles after each trip to the range and it was cleaned before it was put up the last time about 2 month's ago. I don’t like rust on a rifle at all. The lever comes down about ½ inch and the bolt starts to move and will not go any further. When I started to take the lever out something is holding the lever in the bolt.

Thank You

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
My first guess would be corrosion as well, however if you are certain this is not the case:

-Try tightning all your receiver scerws, especially the loading gate screw a little past snug with a fitted screwdriver

-The carrier can sometime lose it's timing and cause binding with other moving parts in the receiver

-On top of the receiver are dummy receiver screws, is one a bit too tight restricting the bolt?

-When you cleaned it, did you remove the ejector spring? If so you may not have positioned it properly when reassembling (don't ask me how I know). You can tell by looking on the upper left side (toward the hammer) of the receive. If there is a small, empty port there, your ejector is loose in your receiver or maybe even lost, if the port is "occupied" your ejector is positioned properly.

Others are more qualified than I, I'm sure they will weigh in as well.

SS

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I have had the same problem long ago on one of my Model 30A, 30-30's. Mine was caused by the screw holding the loading gate had loosened just a little and caused the lever to hit against the loading gate. Once I tightened up the screw, it worked fine. It was a learning experience for me as I was about a mile from my truck when I unloaded my gun before getting into the tree stand. After pulling my gun up with a rope, I sat down in my chair and started to load my gun. The lever wouldn't cycle properly and I could not load it. Man was I mad. I had to walk back to my truck and get a smaller screw driver and tighten the screw properly (and yes I scratched the finish around the screw head and buggered it a little too). I learned to check the loading gate screw after that before I went into the woods.

***Caution....be careful when tightening. Use the correct size screw driver for the screw so that you don't mar the screw head or the finish around the screw. Been there, done that!

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sidespin, as the old saying goes, you hit the nail on the head. I looked and there was an empty hole just above the dummy screws for the pep sight. “Oop’s”. The ejector was pulled the last time I cleaned it. I couldn’t remember. I usually check the operation. Must have put it together and just put it back in the safe without cycling it one time. Had to dissemble the whole receiver to get it repaired. Found the spring down in the receiver. :roll:

Eagle Eye 444, the screws were the first thing that I checked. I have run into that problem before, but not in a bad situation like you had. I just didn’t think about the empty hole in the side of the receiver until Sidespin mentioned it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to dissemble the whole receiver. I pulled the stock off and removed the hammer spring and was then able to remove the lever from the locking bolt. Had to take all of the screws out and completely dissemble it. I think the spring was caught some how blocking the locking bolt from moving down and not allowing the bolt to move. Once I got the locking bolt to slide down I was home free but by then I had the whole receiver dissembled. I think this was a good experience though. Helps to under stand the workings of the rifle and will help to understand what could be going wrong when you have a problem. I think everyone should know the mechanical part of the rifle. Just make sure you are using the right screwdriver for the screws. I hate seeing damaged screw heads on a rifle.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts