1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Yup. All the screws are the same except the tang screw. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hunterj50, did you ever install the "thumb screw" from brownells into you '93? Did it fit? I am just starting on a 93 and have issues with the existing lever screw. Leverdude, confirm that all marlin screws are the same in the current 336's except the tang. I may pull all the originals that are involved in the cleaning take down and put them in storage while I shoot with new screws. (The old ones are perfect and I don't want to ding them with repeated dissassembly.) thanks rc

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
Often if you can make a fixture to hold a damaged screw slot you can peen the slot and close it up some, recut the slot with a jewelers aka needle file. Then spin the screw in a power drill and file its surface smooth again, after all a messed up screw slot usually has all the displaced metal intact albeit nasty looking.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
RHOUSER said:
Hunterj50, did you ever install the "thumb screw" from brownells into you '93? Did it fit? I am just starting on a 93 and have issues with the existing lever screw. Leverdude, confirm that all marlin screws are the same in the current 336's except the tang. I may pull all the originals that are involved in the cleaning take down and put them in storage while I shoot with new screws. (The old ones are perfect and I don't want to ding them with repeated dissassembly.) thanks rc
RHouser,

What do you mean by the 'thumb screw'? In reference to your other query as to whether the modern 336 screws are the same as those for the Model 1893 and '93 I don't feel they are. I ordered a hammer screw, carrier screw and loading gate screws from Numrich and I believe their source is for the 336 model. I thought all the screws, although of the same thread, were a hair shorter that the original ones. I didn't use them preferring instead to go Swany's route and redo the originals. If you have a friend who is a good tig welder he can rebuild the entire head of the screw and rather than using a jeweller's file a milling machine cuts those slots very well.

By the way the original tang screws from old Model 1893's and 1895's are different. That from the Model 1895 is a trifle longer,

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Brownell offers a lever screw for Marlins with a knurled thumb screw instead of a slotted head. Looks handy for field stripping the rifle. Just thinking. thanks for all the answers. rc

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Might be the new ones are a hair shorter, but I think it more likely that the old ones varied more than modern ones, least in my limited experience they do. All I can say for sure is I'v built one 1893, one 1894 & 2 1889's all with modern current production screws except for the tang screw which only differs in the thread pitch. Many parts will swap too. Another thing thats different is the forward band & screw. Makes sense the tang screw on the 95 is longer, its a bigger fatter frame whereas the 1893 is only longer than the 94 but the same height & thickness so stocks are interchangeable. I have several 1895 semi-inletted forends because I didn'r realize that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts