Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Hornady advertises 2050 but if memory serves those number where very optimistic even from a long barrel.

I have written in my load jurnal that factory ammo was getting me about 1740 FPS from my SBL. I am looking for a load that will do the same speed with the same FTX bullets. The powder I have is IMR 4198 and i have hornady magnum large rifle primers. Long story short I am away from my home for 3 weeks and I am looking for a reloading project.

p.s. I also found in my journal that 42 grains IMR 4198 gets me about 1800 FPS so I guess I am pretty close but any advise would be appreciated. How much powder do I need to lower to drop about 60 FPS:hmmmm:

With the cost of powder I dont want to experiment a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Deja vu, I got factory equivalent at 46.9gr of IMR 4198; notes say it gave a 1" group at 50yds (chronographed rounds: 2029,2030,2032,2023,2056,2053) that was from the short barrel of an STBL.

Don't do that anymore... shoot all cast at around 1400fps. My bones like that a lot better!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is odd cause when I was looking for a factory (2050 fps) load I stopped at 48 grains and was only getting about 2000 FPS from my SBL

The Hornady Reloading manual states that 46.9 grains should get you 2100 FPS from a 22 inch barrel.

actual factory ammo I was shooting was only getting about 1740 FPS.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Been a while now so can't remember particulars but that's what my notes tell me. Shows I shot anywhere from 41.6 to the 46.9. Best accuracy was at 45.6gr.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
May be I have a slow barrel? This particular gun has never shot a lead round. I also had a cowboy (gave to my son) that has never had a jacketed bullet. If I had it still I would be tempted to test the difference.

p.s. my barrel is slightly shorter than the stock 18.5 inches because when I had it threaded for a suppressor the guy had to cut it back about 1/8th of an inch but I doubt that should make much difference.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Typically you gain velocity out of a longer barrel. The amount changes with your velocity range. For calculation purposes when finding a starting load I figure 25fps per inch increase over what I got in a shorter barrel. Usually gets me close.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Oregon,
At one time I had 1895 Marlins in 18 1/2", 22" and 24" barrels at the same time. I shot my reloads through all three. That was 300 JHP, 350 JFP and 405 JSP bullet loads. All were top end loads of Re7. My largest velocity difference was around 100 fps, using the 300 JHP. The barrel differences made slightly less difference as bullet weight increased and velocity decreased. Based upon my unscientific test, 96 fps difference between an 18 1/2" barrel and a 24" barrel is not enough to buy a gun based solely on barrel length.
That being said, I like the balance of the longer barrels.

Reactions: Oregon Stihl
1 - 8 of 8 Posts