Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all!

One of my 336s has developed a problem(?) that I need some help figuring out. When I load cartridges through the loading gate, sometimes the lever unlocks and pops into a slightly open position (see pic). It has also started happening when I cock the hammer with the chamber loaded. I went ahead and shot it this weekend by holding the lever up into the stock and it functions fine.

I've disassembled the rifle this morning and can find nothing bent or broken, nor excessively worn for a 40 year old rifle.

Is there a specific part I should be looking at more closely?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg.

20140505_111125.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is a small detent pin in the lever that grabs onto the floor plate of the receiver to keep the lever shut. It's located right in front of the trigger when the lever is closed. I'd venture to guess this has rounded off on your lever.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
you can get the detent, spring, and retainer pin cheap at Brownell's. Just replace them all and problem will be solved.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The retaining pin takes a 1/16th punch. Remove the plunger and check the spring. Also check the hole for any burs. Usually a good cleaning, lubing, and maybe a little polishing on the plunger itself will do the trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts