Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just completely stripped and cleaned my new to me 1894 and when i close the lever it wont close all the way every time smoothly hangs up on the safety that wont let the trigger pull unless the lever is closed all the way. Everything was working fine before i took it apart. Is it a lube issue or do i have something not together right just looking for a direction to start.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Check the lever latch plunger. It's the spring-loaded thingy in the lever. When you close the lever it should latch it in the closed position and depress the trigger safety as well. Sometimes the lever plunger will stick or have a weak spring. There is a small pin you can drift out to remove the plunger and spring. I like to take a 1/4" drill bit and spin it by hand in the plunger hole to remove any burrs that might be there, then clean and oil the plunger.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
racinjason, you might want to pull the bolt locking block out and see if may you got it turned around from the position it was in brefpre you disassembled it. The locking block and boldt may have worn into their ''comfortable'' positions and now are alittle cranky about the reversal. Sometimes gun parts get to be like us older humans cranky if things get changed around. Take care and keep us in the loop, John.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
CAN you reverse the bolt locking block without first putting in the carrier upside down? That's how I figured out I had put the carrier in upside down! the bolt locking block only fit one way! You can almost guaruntee, that if the rifle worked BEFORE you took it apart that SOMETHING YOU DID is preventing it from working after re-assembly! :biggrin:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Check the lever latch plunger. It's the spring-loaded thingy in the lever. When you close the lever it should latch it in the closed position and depress the trigger safety as well. Sometimes the lever plunger will stick or have a weak spring. There is a small pin you can drift out to remove the plunger and spring. I like to take a 1/4" drill bit and spin it by hand in the plunger hole to remove any burrs that might be there, then clean and oil the plunger.

Besides all the others mentioned above, this one also should be considered.....PLUS, if the plunger retaining pin is not FLUSH in the lever on both sides, this will stop your lever from closing. Make sure that pin is flush on both sides.

..........Widder

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys didn't realize I could get the carrier in upside down I will check it out and let y'all know what I find

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything was in there correctly, gave it a good lube job and it cycles fine. A wise man once told me "lubrication is your friend"

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Everything was in there correctly, gave it a good lube job and it cycles fine. A wise man once told me "lubrication is your friend"
Funny...................that's the same thing my wife tells me! :flute:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Glad you solved the problem racinjason. Many moons ago the first 1894 I stripped I had switched the left side receiver screw & the trigger plate screw and had the longer one in the receiver. It all assembled just fine but the lever wouldn't close all the way for the longer trigger plate screw. Took me a couple more dismantle's to figure out what I had done, duh. Even as elegantly simple as a Marlin, we've all done something wrong on reassembly the first time . . or two. ;-)

- hutch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.