Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great forum you have here. I'm a greenhorn to your site but not to lever actions or guns of any type. Been shooting since 1949 when I began hunting in western Arkansas' Ouachita Mountains.
Own a number of Savages, Marlins and Winchesters, in 25.-35, 30-30, 300 Sav, 44 mag. 307 Win, 444 Marlin, 35 Rem. etc.. My brother was just an hour ago, showing me some of his cast loads for his 1895 Guide gun. I'm now stocking a custom Siamese Mauser 45-70 but being a southpaw a bottom stroker suites me better than the turn bolt. So I'll start shopping for a Marlin GG soon. Also plan on building a 50 Alaskan on a Marlin. I'm too crippled up to make an Alaska bear hunt but we have a good crop of black bears around here. Might never shoot anything, but still I love big bore rifles, not meaning anything belted either.
Getting to the point........I was just wondering if anyone shoots silhouette with their lever guns and cast bullets. We played around with Silhouettes back in the late 1970s but could never get enough locals interested in the game to justify a range. A few years ago we sold out of the cattle business and turned our ranch into a game preserve of sorts for family hunting. My sons (3) want me to build a silhouette range on the back of the ranch. Is anyone within reach of zip 71945 interested in using a shooting range if we built it? Seems like a lot of money for the steel targets, if they're only used a few times a year.
Kind regards,
The Ancient rifle smith

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Would enjoy sharing such a range, but I am a bit far away to make it. Welcome aboard and hope you post your experiences here so we can share them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are a few of us in Oklahoma that drive to Van Buren Arkansas to shoot and we would love to shoot lever action silhouette with you. Name the time and the place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for being gone so long...We are clearing the woods for the range I mentioned. We only have one set of steel silhouette targets and are looking for more. The range distance limit will be about 410 yds give or take a couple. Son got home from Iraq and should be around to help with the work. Right now I'm down with feet problems and not able to walk or stand for long. Hopefully we will be using the range by early spring. Work halted now, until deer season is over. Don't want to bother them until we fill our tags.
Information for you Oklahomans, Hatfield is just 5 miles east of the McCurtain/Lefore county line at the state line.
Will post again when we are getting close to opening range.
Thank you mucho for your interest.
Ancient Rifle Smith

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would love to shoot cowboy lever action silhouette again, did so in Colorado for several years also attended the nationals twice in Raton NM. I live in clarksville Ar now.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Sorry for being gone so long...We are clearing the woods for the range I mentioned. We only have one set of steel silhouette targets and are looking for more. The range distance limit will be about 410 yds give or take a couple. Son got home from Iraq and should be around to help with the work. Right now I'm down with feet problems and not able to walk or stand for long. Hopefully we will be using the range by early spring. Work halted now, until deer season is over. Don't want to bother them until we fill our tags.
Information for you Oklahomans, Hatfield is just 5 miles east of the McCurtain/Lefore county line at the state line.
Will post again when we are getting close to opening range.
Thank you mucho for your interest.
Ancient Rifle Smith
ancient,

There is a nice range in Ft. Smith about an hour north of you.

Hunter Pistol/Cowboy Rifle/Air Pistol Silhouette | Old Fort Gun Club

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts