Registered
356 Posts
Right on!!!

Thanks for the link!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Yep ... a good read.

In one of the magazines (will try to find: S.W.A.T. November 2002) a guy took an off the shelf Marlin 336 Cowboy (with tune up 'n sights by David Clay) in 30/30 toThunder Ranch (Clint Smith) and took the Urban Rifle course. He did very well with it.

Mike

PS He used Express Sight Systems (formerlly AO Sights) with a .230 inside diameter aperture and a front sight with .050 white stripe on a .100 wide face.

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Allways good to hear a plus for leverguns. ;)

G

·
Look, lets not beat around the bush here. If you wanna use the 30-30 as a sniper rifle, go ahead.

For Close quarters, get yourself a shotgun or hi capacity semi auto pistol caliber rifle.

I ain't saying the 30-30 won't do the job but even I had to take a step back and do an assessment of the world today. Your enemies are using Colt AR's and H&K, thats the cold hard facts of life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Chxm6_r_8

·
Registered
171 Posts
+1, although even a 22 rifle can be deadly, a trip to my local gun range may make you change your outlook somewhat. Lots of 50 cal sniper rifles, Uzui's, AR's, HK's, and once in a while some full auto Brownings machine guns! Talk about making it hard to sight a gun in!!! Cheers-Chet

·
Registered
488 Posts
JohnnyLoco said:
I ain't saying the 30-30 won't do the job but even I had to take a step back and do an assessment of the world today. Your enemies are using Colt AR's and H&K, thats the cold hard facts of life.
Johnny- you're right, and this is what saddens me about the present-day mindset; all of the talk, frantic purchasing and hoarding etc. all being done with the viewpoint that a neighbor and fellow American could be your enemy if society were to decay to that point.

I have a shotgun, a revolver, and a levergun just like my father and grandfather before me, God rest their souls. I'm not buying into SHTF mindsets. I'm a patriot, and have faith in my country and the other conservative patriots of this country that are clinging to their guns and religion. Such people have been known to band together before many times in the past......
Jim

G

·
I'm not thinking far enough ahead to say "neighbor and fellow American could be your enemy"

My assessment was based on "the now" with criminals in the news like that yahoo in chicago that shot that family up with an H&K 45.
Punks I see around here with high capacity glocks in their waist band while we carry little ruger LCP's because they conceal easy, and other news stories.

Thats why I favor something that leaves a Bulge even when "concealed"

It took me about three years to adjust to the unsheltered reality of our streets after I retired from the military. It literally is more potentially dangerous out here than in combat.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I took my first deer in 59' with a 336 Marlin in 30-30. Still feel comfortable with carrying one when wandering around in the woods. I didn't know how fast a lever action could be until I started shooting SASS, cowboy action. In a fire fight, I'd prefer an AR15, but I carry a Marlin 30-30 with a 16 1/2" barrel as a truck gun. Works on coyotes and up, even a couple of skunks. Also a very sturdy gun and easy to clean.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
I think its my choice but so that i can take care of my neighbors. I have a wife, small daughter and rent our upstairs out to students and small families. I feel that i am resposible not only for their safety and security, but also that of my neighbors. My concerns are more founded in Y2K mentality...the cogs fall off and we are on our own sort of thing. I can keep people at bay with my bad attitude for the most part (actually thats been my job for the last 20 yrs), but to feed and provide for a small group...my levers can do that in spades! If I need to drop out then i go to the hills, a very nice spot has been worked out that provides all my family would need and the savage .308 provides all the reach. Each job has a tool i guess...and maybe the trick is knowing how to use them. My dad drilled into my head to be prepared and enjoy when your wrong. ;D

G

·
I like this one, maybe I misunderstood:

"my levers can do that in spades! Each job has a tool I guess...and maybe the trick is knowing how to use them"

So the choice not to use a Lever action as a urban combat weapon is our ignorance of its use ???

Have you ever tried reloading, much less a lever action, while a hellstorm of bullets are flying at you? ;D

Give me suppressing fire capability for close quarters anytime

Also, this is the easiest shotgun to load under stress: http://www.ithacagun.com/defense37s.html The 20" 8 shot model is not listed.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Survival. That means hunting as well as fending off the roving bands of Mad Max wannabe's right? I think the biggest advantage the lever action (30-30) has is cost and ammo availibility. I would own an M1 and AK if I could afford too, but I can't right now. I have to choose an affordable rifle that I will use for all scenarios, hunting, target shooting, battling aliens etc.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
JohnnyLoco said:
I like this one, maybe I misunderstood:

"my levers can do that in spades! Each job has a tool I guess...and maybe the trick is knowing how to use them"

So the choice not to use a Lever action as a urban combat weapon is our ignorance of its use ???

Have you ever tried reloading, much less a lever action, while a hellstorm of bullets are flying at you? ;D

Give me suppressing fire capability for close quarters anytime
Srry johnny...i was waxing about myself and my personal learning curve. Greenhorn is also how i feel about my skills and abilities and is why i am here. I apologize if my message was unclear.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Greenhorn, I think most of us here are "greenhorns"
when it comes to survival in some civilization meltdown scenario.
I certainly am. Uncharted territory.

Having stated that disclaimer, I'll offer an opinion about one of your statements:

If I need to drop out then i go to the hills, a very nice spot has been worked out that provides all my family would need and the savage .308 provides all the reach.
I once fancied doing the same. Problem is, as I've come to learn, everyone else in my community (and surrounding ones) who's a hunter, survivalist and others with guns (some of whom may not be, shall we say, well tied together) will probably be heading out there as well. Some of them have longer range guns than mine, and may not take kindly to intruders. :eek:

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm no longer convinced for myself that "bugging out" into the "woods" with a lever gun is the wisest tactic. I'm starting to consider bugging in more now with food and water reserves, waiting until things settle out a bit.

All the standard disclaimers apply: YMMV, take with salt, etc.

Of course, we will never know until the time comes. :-\

1 - 20 of 21 Posts