Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a Marlin in .35 Rem. Made in 1981. It has a Williams Peep/Ghost Ring on the receiver (side mounted) and a really hinky, fairly junky, banged up dovetail orange fiber sight on the front ramp. I think the front ramp is original and would like to use it. Can anyone tell me exactly which front sight I need to replace the hinky one? AND how do I get a front sight in green? An exact link or a phone number would work for me.

Go here to see pics and a better explanation of the problem:

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=15878

I would like to be able to sight in accurately at 150 yd.

Thanks brethren,

Dave :)

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Dave, that's built up like that for a reason.....maybe :? Shoot it and see if it's where it needs to be height-wise. If it sights in good, take it out so you can measure it that way you'll know what to replace it with. I used the HiViz........the FireSight is good, as well. Good Luck.

http://www.northpass.com/

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tubby,

Thanks for the link. That HiViz looks pretty good. I am not worried about the height at all. It is the firesight piece that dovetails into the other portion. The ramp is good. If the Firesight bead was in good shape I would not worry about it. I just think someone tried to make a sight fit where it was not supposed to. Looks like I will just buy the whole setup new.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Dave, those green thingies seem twice as bright as the orange/red ones.........un-real until you see it for yourself. I'm using green from now on...even to the point of using bright green polish/paint on the regular sights.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tubby,

I learned about the green fiber sight pins using my bow. There is nothing any brighter to me unless you could find blue maybe. The red fades out for me in sunlight and before dusk also.

Dave

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tubby,

I learned about the green fiber sight pins using my bow. There is nothing any brighter to me unless you could find blue maybe. The red fades out for me in sunlight and before dusk also. Mybe my cones and rods are screwed up. :lol: :lol:

Dave 8)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Matt, a guy in sales at Williams, will be happy to have a green sight made for you. It is not a regular part, so he won't/can't give you any guarantee on how long it will take to get you one. I just ordered my FP and Firesight set for my 336, and stuck to red to get it here in time for deer season.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you get the firesight make sure to get the narrow one. The catalog says tne medium but they are wrong mine hangs off by about 1/16 on each side, but i got the green fiber optic.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
If you notch a front beed with a file you can take a green fillament for a bow, cut it about 1/8 th longer on both sides of the beed, heat it with a low torch flame untill it bends down on both ends. After it cools drop a little super glue into the notch and put in the fiber. Inexspensive fire sight.

·
Banned
843 Posts
Strange how your front sight has the williams elavator block on a ramp and plus the sight itself. Like TTT said shoot and see...this gun may poi real low. Is the rear sight raised up a whole lot? Might be able to eliminate the elevator block and bring the receiver sight way down if that's the case. May be former owner couldn't get down his cheek weld on the stock, so instead raised the sighting plane up???
Anyway, I've puchased green glow directly from Marbles as standard parts. I think their beads were slightly smaller than Williams, too.
My 35rem 336rc [1955] with a Redfield side mounted receiver sight uses the original dovetailed Marlin front brass bead front sight. The Redfield receiver is pretty low profile and compact though

................TM7

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks folks,

Between you here at MO and Beartooth you have helped me understand what is happening. It looks as though the previous owner just cobbled together a front sight for this gun in order to sell it. I did not know there was such a thing as an elevator block. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. I really do appreciate your help.

I am going shooting this morning and will just scope it to see how it shoots. I haven't decided whether to use the Williams or XS. If I decide on the Williams, which I probably will as the rear sight is already on the gun, you have certainly helped me out.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
482 Posts
VTDW
I just spent a good bit of time replying when my connection dropped. :cry:
I have a similar combination. I just put a 5D on my 35. The rear sight just does clear the receiver. I am currently set 1 1/2" high at 50 yds. It looks like I need to elevate the rear a bit for a center or slightly high POI at 100 yds.
It looks like without the riser block your front sight is taller than my facory one. Bottom line you should be OK.
Looking forward to your range report.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW Fellas,

I removed the elevator block and filed and filed and filed..... until I could work the sight into the dovetail.

The rifle is a shooter. I will post pics later this evening if I have the time. I shot up a box of ammo but git er sighted in at l00 yd. Started at 25 yd. worked to 50 yd and then 100 yd. I never thought these old eyes could shoot with accuracy and confidence without a scope.

You were lots of help folks and I thank you very much. Now if I can just remember which way to turn the adjustment screws on the Williams receiver sight... :lol: :lol:

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW Fellas,

I removed the elevator block and filed and filed and filed..... until I could work the sight into the dovetail.

The rifle is a shooter. I will post pics later this evening if I have the time. I shot up a box of ammo but got er sighted in at l00 yd. Started at 25 yd. worked to 50 yd and then 100 yd. I never thought these old eyes could shoot with accuracy and confidence without a scope.

You were lots of help folks and I thank you very much. Now if I can just remember which way to turn the adjustment screws on the Williams receiver sight... :lol: :lol:

Dave 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts