Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:p Due to fishing haven't been on the computer much lately. Got a chance today to pop in and ask a question. I was wanting to pick up a lever actiion 22 mag. Any suggestions for new or old models to look for at gun shops. I have been looking for a used and not seeing anything. I thought Marlin made one a long long time ago. Haven't heard anything about Winchesters. Just want it for longer range can shooting and maybe a groundhog or two. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
201 Posts
You are probably thinking about a model 57M. Take a look on Gunbroker.com at auction Item # 19505525 .

DG

Ole Grizz said:
:p Due to fishing haven't been on the computer much lately. Got a chance today to pop in and ask a question. I was wanting to pick up a lever actiion 22 mag. Any suggestions for new or old models to look for at gun shops. I have been looking for a used and not seeing anything. I thought Marlin made one a long long time ago. Haven't heard anything about Winchesters. Just want it for longer range can shooting and maybe a groundhog or two. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ole Grizz said:
I thought Marlin made one a long long time ago. Haven't heard anything about Winchesters. Just want it for longer range can shooting and maybe a groundhog or two. Any Suggestions?
Yes...Marlin did (at 1 time) offer a .22 mag.: Mod. 1894-M

The Winchester 9422 can be had in .22 mag. as well as .22 LR.

~ The 1894-M's are a bit scarce, but you'll see one every now & then.
Depending on what your budget is you have a few options:
Look for a used 9422 or Marlin....
Buy a 9422 new....
or...buy a Henry.

www.henryrepeating.com

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Winchester also made the Model 255 which is a lever action in 22 Mag. It has an action that is similar to the Marlin 57M and the new Ruger rimfire leveractions. The is a used 255 with scope at Kittery Trading Post (don't have url availible in this browser) for $170 (I think). Good luck finding one! Mike

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have a 96/22 Ruger and I love it. A 96/22M would be doubly nice as you could pick up a "drop-in" 17HMR barrel from Green Mountain, if you were so inclined. My 96/22 goes back and forth from 22LR fast twist, to 22LR slow twist (1:18") to 17 Aguila. Very fast handling and very accurate in each configuration.~Andrew

PS: In Shotgun News a while back they were offering the 96/22M for $249. Cool~

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank's for the feedback. Think I am leaning toward the Winchester. Like the style better, but wish it had a stock like the 39A instead of the straight stock.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got the Winchester 9422M and I really like it, It had super smooth aciton right out of the box.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I must be pretty lucky, because I have an unfired 1894M.

The reason I haven't shot it, or almost all of my other firearms, is, on going medical problems, which are begining to let ago.

I have several other Marlins too. I am partial to the Marlin lever action rifles, because of their history and their quality.

The Marlin 1894 is a bigger rifle than the 9422 magnum. The Marlin looks, acts, and feels like a full size lever rifle.

I may have another Marlin lever gun that a lot of people don't have. This rifle is a model 39 TDS.

Bill

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Bought a 9422 Mag last year. Very pretty blue and wood. The WORST trigger I've ever had. Very creepy and gritty. I just assumed it would smooth out over a couple months :cry: :oops:. It is very smooth and seems to hit OK, but with that trigger, I really can't tell how well it might group; the best at 100yds was about 3-4" :( I'll get it fixed someday, because I'd like to keep it. I've got a Wally World Leupold 2x7 on it and want to pop some coyotes with it. (Someone else might do better, I've never been able to bench all that good)

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
A quick follow-up to above post. Shortly after posting, I started to get ready for an outing....gathering up what to shoot, etc, and I picked up the 9422 and started working it. Yep, still had that nasty creep/grit. I gave it a few "******* trigger job" dry fires and I'll be darned....the burr or whatever it was came off and I seem to have a trigger again. Will report back this evening on how she shoots now.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Took the scope off, put the stock sights back on with an eye to put the One Ragged Hole peep on sometime soon. The pull is still a little heavy, but at least clean. I was just sitting in a lawn chair shooting off the back of another lawn chair at about 75 yd and betting better groups with the stock sights than with the scope and the creepy/gritty trigger. Once I get a peep on there, it should be a nice 'yote and camp gun. I don't know what caused the trigger to come clean after all this time this morning, but I glad it did...saved me some money and I have a worthwhile weapon. The ******* Trigger Job seems to once again done it's job :)

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
JC Higgens, 22Mag, Levermatic, Made by Marlin. Picked it up last month at a local gunshop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have two Marlin 1894M.22 mags. Well actually my wife has one and I have one. They shoot well for lever action .22 mags. Really nice firearms! They can still be found if you keep your eyes open.

I also have a Winchester 9422 .22 mag. It shoots nice, fit and finish is top of the line. Not a Marlin though!

I tried a Henry .22 mag. Beautiful gun, slick action, was not accurate at all. This will not deter me from trying another one. I know every gun is different, the next one might just be a shooter. I like the thoughts of guns lasting forever but buying a gun that will become a family heirloom is not part of my criteria when I purchase a firearm in the price range we are discussing here.

I love my lever guns but I carry a 882ssv with a rifle basix drop in trigger every day on the hunt. It's rugged, reliable and shoots as well or better than any .22 mag I have ever owned.

Frank

1 - 17 of 17 Posts