Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Who would purchase a VX-R Fire Dot scope if it is offered in an IER Scout configuration?

• Don't need no stinkin' scope

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a Scout Scope for my 1895 MXLR. I REALLY like the new VX-R Fire Dot from Leupold.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/

I really like the 1.25x-4x x 20mm with the Duplex reticle.

I have inquired to Leupold about making this scope in an IER Scout configuration. All they should have to do is change the ocular set up so it is Intermediate Eye Relief vs. Standard eye relief distance.

Who is interested and would actually fork out the $400+ to buy one???

Speak up! Heck, send Leupold an e mail and let them know!!!

Thank you for joining in.

Mike

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I don't fit in your choices.

I won't.
I do like a scope.
I do like a cross hair.
I do not care for a scout set up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
FredT said:

I won't.
I do like a scope.
I do like a cross hair.
I agree with Fred totally! There are more of us out here than that. Scout scope or nothing? ??? How about the Leupold 1.5x5 VXIII still with 24" of barrell, now theres a set up!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I voted "I don't need no stinking scope", but I really would have chosen a "I use a scope, but don't care for scout setup."

·
Super Moderator
12,516 Posts
Neat idea but I don't think people would be lined up to buy them considering the cost and limited market. I've been selling my Leupold scout setups over the last few months and have my last one on the EE now. Not exactly fast movers as that type of setup isn't for everyone. I tried it on several guns and just prefer a conventional scope. If the OP adds a slot for the Leupold 1.5-5x20mm scopes I'd also vote for that ;)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
FredT said:

I won't.
I do like a scope.
I do like a cross hair.
That fits my feelings exactly. I have never liked the scout setup from the appearance, balance, and the way it fits my sight picture. I know everyone is different but with the scope so far away from my eye, my first instinct is to look at the scope instead of through the scope. With a peep sight or a conventional scope I have no choice but to look through the scope or sight. Again, just my opinion.

Festus

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I'm very fond of my scout scope setup!!!

I also like the 5 moa red dot mounted over the receiver on my .35..
It was my favorite brushgun setup before scouting my 1895gs..

I tried the red dot on my gs over the barrel and it just wasn't the same to me..
The dot appeared to be much larger, even at it's minimum setting..

I'm just not sure how the two would work together?

I find the heavy duplex reticle used on the scout scopes (Burris or Leupold) is perfect for up close and quick target acquisition, while the fine inner crosshairs do a great job with distance shots out to 150yds or more..

·
Registered
124 Posts
I reall liked the "I don't need no stinkin' scope' part ;D
Like an idiot I allowed 48 years of gun experience on my part to be influenced by my son and put a scope on my levergun. What a mistake! NEVER again! I like my Marlin with iron sights and can hit what I aim at :D

Wade

·
Registered
633 Posts
not to fond of extended eye relief scopes. Reed and green dots in 2x work foe me.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the MXLR, so I love just using the XS ghost rings and I take advantage of that 27" sight radius.
With that being said, if I want to shoot past 200 yards it can get complicated in a hurry (Kentucky elevation).
My 405 grain boolit is still traveling at 1041 fps and packs 975 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards. (I'm just sayin'). It will still blow through an elk. That's better than sticking the muzzle of a 44 mag against the side and pulling the trigger.

I had a 3-9x40 Nikon Pro Staff on her. I took it off and did the full length lever rail with ghost rings because the 'traditional' scope set up really buggered up my rifles balance. The weight centered at the bottom of the receiver (by the lever) instead of the rear of the fore arm.
It made carrying it in the field awkward and I get tired of wiping off my fingerprints (I hate metal stains). I guess I'm just so used to carrying my 39A - her balance is absolutely perfect.
I also wanted a set of 'back up' sights in case my scope got damaged during a hunt.

My secondary scope option (with the rail) was to mount it high enough to clear over the rear peep. I like my scopes close to the bore for a good stock weld - I don't like orbiting satellites for scopes.

SO - the Scout setup was my obvious choice. I like the Fire Dot idea so I can see the reticle in low light. I had a Leupold M8 scout scope and sold it. Too hard to see in dawn and dusk conditions.

Anyway, this is why I was throwing this around. Just curious how everyone else felt. I'm waiting to hear from Leupold to see if they will make me one.
If they will, I will let you guys know how it works.

And just for the record: I fit into the 'I don't need no stinkin' scope' category. But they absolutely have their place for putting meat in the freezer, dependent on terrain.

;D

Thanks for your input!!!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have the MXLR, so I love just using the XS ghost rings and I take advantage of that 27" sight radius.
With that being said, if I want to shoot past 200 yards it can get complicated in a hurry (Kentucky elevation).
My 405 grain boolit is still traveling at 1041 fps and packs 975 ft lbs of energy at 500 yards. (I'm just sayin'). It will still blow through an elk. That's better than sticking the muzzle of a 44 mag against the side and pulling the trigger.

I had a 3-9x40 Nikon Pro Staff on her. I took it off and did the full length lever rail with ghost rings because the 'traditional' scope set up really buggered up my rifles balance. The weight centered at the bottom of the receiver (by the lever) instead of the rear of the fore arm.
It made carrying it in the field awkward and I get tired of wiping off my fingerprints (I hate metal stains). I guess I'm just so used to carrying my 39A - her balance is absolutely perfect.
I also wanted a set of 'back up' sights in case my scope got damaged during a hunt.

My secondary scope option (with the rail) was to mount it high enough to clear over the rear peep. I like my scopes close to the bore for a good stock weld - I don't like orbiting satellites for scopes.

SO - the Scout setup was my obvious choice. I like the Fire Dot idea so I can see the reticle in low light. I had a Leupold M8 scout scope and sold it. Too hard to see in dawn and dusk conditions.

Anyway, this is why I was throwing this around. Just curious how everyone else felt. I'm waiting to hear from Leupold to see if they will make me one.
If they will, I will let you guys know how it works.

And just for the record: I fit into the 'I don't need no stinkin' scope' category. But they absolutely have their place for putting meat in the freezer, dependent on terrain.

;D

Thanks for your input!!!
You should take a look at the Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope. It has a heavier duplex reticle than the Leupy and works great in low light conditions.

View attachment 28918

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
I didn't care for the scout set-up...I did put the VX-R Patrol (firedot) on my T-4 though...LOVE it!

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
Though this was originally an older thread, I found what looked to be a common misconception about the Leupold Firedot series of scopes among the respondents here. The Firedot series are scopes with several different reticle options that include my two favorites; the #4 and standard Duplex type. The reticle is not simply a dot in any of the reticles, but a center (very small) dot added to other reticle types. The dot is completely invisible when not turned on. Get a Duplex, you have a Duplex reticle, BUT with a small, battery powered, dot in the center when needed in low light. Get a #4 reticle, you get a #4 reticle, but it also comes with a very small dot controlled by an on/off switch and also having several brightness levels making it useful in full light as well as very low light conditions. The on/off & brightness controls are incorporated in a single 3rd turret opposite the windage turret on the scope body, not the eyepiece.

We have many fans here of Leupolds and many fans of the fine VX3 1.5-5x20 scope. The new VX-R is, for me, a better choice for those seeking low light performance, especially on hogs and black bear in low light conditions. I'd simply suggest those looking at the VXII & VX3 low powered Leupolds also take a look at the 1.25-4 and 2-7 VX-Rs. I own one of each and they are the best two hunting scopes I own, including my Zeiss.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts