Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for the right combo of base and rings for a leupold vx-1 2-7x33 on my 30-30. i'm pretty set on the 2-7x33 and i'd like to consider quick release rings. trying to find quality that won't break the bank. first rifle, first scope, so any insight is appreciated.

thanks, jon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jon, Congrats on the new 336 and welcome! I have a Leupold VXII 2x7x33 on my 336 35 Rem. I installed a Leupold one piece base and low rings and it is fine. Close to the bore and not too big or cumbersome on the rifle. I have another rifle with Leupold QR rings and I really like them. Good luck!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a 336CS with a VXII 1-4X mounted on a Weaver onepiece base (No. 63 ???) with Weaver medium hieght Quad lock rings.

The Weaver rings aren't really quick release, but they will return pretty close to zero if care is taken when you tighten the clamps. With the Weaver base the barrel mounted sights are somewhat usable when the scope is removed.

Honestly, I have never had to remove a Leupold scope to continue a hunt.

Robert

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
My 1957 vintage Marlin 336SC in .32 Win Special has a Leupold VXI 2x7x33 mounted on a Weaver one piece base and Weaver 1" Quad Lok Rings. Very nice set up for me and I mostly shoot my own cast bullets in it @ 2300fps (182 grain bullet)
358 Win

Reactions: jon316

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
jon, first pof all, welcome to the MO Family, from here in west central Mo. Enjoy yourself here. lots of folks with lots of knowledge of all things Marlin. Good choice on the Leupold scope, good quality and just a good solid scope will do all you need with the Marlin. I prefer a Weaver 63B one piece base and Weaver quad lock rings, not QD type but can be taken off fairly quickly, hopw this helps. Take care, keep us in the loop as to your choices, John.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'd like to consider quick release rings. trying to find quality that won't break the bank. first rifle, first scope, so any insight is appreciated.
Rings are usually in line with what they cost as far as "quick release" goes. And there a couple stages of "quick". Many say quick, when they might better be called "pretty quick", or even "not very quick". There are Weaver bases, actually quite good for the cost, and Weaver style bases, 1 or 2 peice, and the cost and quality are variable. I have a No.63 on my .35, and a set of Simmons aluminum rings. I had the rings from another project that came home, and they are very good, to my surprise. But I do not consider them a good on/off set, as aluminum just won't hold up that well. Burris Zee's an Weaver Grand Slam rings are every bit as good as Leupold or Redfield rings, but cannot be removed with a quarter, and require a torx. Leupold has a set of rings that come with a lever for removal, and they work great, the levers are not attractive, and they do not feel the best in hand for all day carry.

All things considered, Burris Zee's and Weaver Grand Slams on a set of steel bases, might have the best balance of durability, quality, and price. Of the aluminum rings, I'd go with the Weaver Quads, which are nice beyond their price tag.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have 3 VX-I scopes on bolt rifles and they are a great product for the price; plenty of scope for me. I love open sights on a lever gun, but if I ever scope one I would go with the VX-I 2X-7x. Good Luck - too many deer in Oklahoma and somebody needs to be thinning them! :eating:

Cedar Creek

·
Registered
616 Posts
Do yourself a favor and have a look at the medium height Game Reaper mount/rings set by DNZ Products for the Marlin 336...it is a perfect match for the Leupold 2x7 33mm VX-1 scope. I allows for a low mount, clears the hammer in the rear and also clears the folding leaf of the rear sight at the front lens....it's not a quick detachable set up but is extremely rugged and a one piece design that goes well with the VX-1 profile....at least I think so. Do a Bing computer search for images of the DNZ mounts on a 336 to see what I mean. The mounts aren't as well known as some other brands but I can't see any down side to using this type of set up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i appreciate everyone's thoughts. lots of good stuff to consider. multiple suggestions for the weaver 1 piece 63b. definitely something i'll look into. a little more about the rings... some say medium, and some say low. what are the differences in function and performance? what factors should i consider in making this decision? thanks again.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The cheap way to go is to use Weaver or Leupold Rifleman base (same thing almost. I like the Leupold for the extra cross slot.) those who say these bases are too soft, have obviously never cut another cross slot. The stuff is not soft. Weaver rings work as QR, you just need to remember to keep a quarter in your pocket. or you can move up to the various kinds with levers. IIRC, leupold that fit the bases mentioned are about $60. Talleys go in the $100+m range but need their own bases.

My experience has been, that if the right scope has been selected (the 2-7 is a good choice) there is little need to take the scope off. Twenty five years ago +/- a few, i bought two sets of high priced Kimber QR rings with levers and the special bases at about eighty bucks a set back then. I have never used them as designed. The 2.5-8 Leupold and the 4X Zeiss they hold have always done theit jobs well.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
+1 what Lucky1 said. Top mounts.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The manufacturer will give actual hieght measurements use them, so lows are the same as some mediums in hiegth. Use the lowest ring that will clear the scope bell from the barrel. Reason is the 336 is made with low stock to sight low strait down the factory iron sights. With a highter ring you will not have a proper cheak weld ( cheak to stock) and it will not be narural and acurracy will suffer.

I have the leupold standard one peice mount and rings with super low rings for my VXII 1-4x20mm no bell. I think the low would work for your VXI 2-7x33 If I were to re do it it would have burris weaver type one peice base and Z-rings. Make sure you can move the scope as far forward as needed for proper eye releaf. Useing the first picture on this post for example I would have to move the rear ring for forward one to two slots. The 336 has a short stock and I have broad shoulders which puts my eye closer to the hamer than most.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok everyone... i think i want to give the weaver 63b one piece(48069) a try with the weaver 1" low detachable rings(49040). there were just too many recommendations for that base. i've read that theres a possible issue with the base hanging too far back or forward over the receiver. anyone anything about this? and does this combination of scope/base/rings sound like a winner? you guys have been awesome and i appreciate your insight.
thanks, jon

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 336ss has a Leupold vx3, 1.75-6x32 mounted in a med height game reaper. Very easy to mount, very sturdy, and nice clean mount that's easy on the eyes. 2012-09-05_18-32-46_23.jpg

·
Registered
616 Posts
Boot's photo is the set up I referred to earlier, but Boot has the tech know how to post a good photo! His Leupold is very similar to the one you are looking at and other than his 336 being stainless steel, Boot's rifle is what yours would look like with the DNZ mount and the Leupold VX1 2x7 33mm scope. Very good looking/functional way to go....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Tech know how? Nah. My kids show me how to post pics from my phone. Lol. The game reaper is hard to beat for a scope mount though. If qr rings aren't a requirement, you would be hard pressed to find a better permanent mount.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok... I got my scope set up, but I couldn't get the full site picture without mounting the scope back a lot farther than I wanted to. I had to mount the base and scope the exact opposite way as everything I've been told. I tried putting it as far forward as possible to optimize eye relief as the manual and everyone else said, but it said to make sure on the highest magnification that I got the FULL site picture. to move the scope back until I got it. I kept moving it back and never got it. so I turned the base around to allow it mounted further back. I had to put it literally as far back as it could possibly be mounted. but I got my full site picture this way. anyone have any insight???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts