Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently setting my 1895 45-70 for a scout set up. I have a xs lever rail and sights along with a VXII Scout Scope with QRW rings. My question is this, I would like to fit my new scout scope with a custom elevation turret. Any recommendations? I sent Leupold an email asking this question and got no reply. Can I just order one from them and install it or do I need to send it in, or should I have ordered one direct from their custom shop for $100-150 more.

Thanks,
K9dude124

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I generally use the gun for hunting swamps and woods in Michigan's U.P. There are however times where I might be presented with a long shot. I was thinking it would be nice to have a dial on the scope to change the point of impact out to 300 yards using Hornady 325 gr. FTX bullets.

I realize that this is a shorter range gun with a fixed power scout set up, however sometimes I find myself in varying terrain, particularly since there has been much cutting in the area.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apologize this probably should've been posted in optics forum.

So, is it worth trying to get a custom elevation turret for a leupold scout scope on a 1895 -
45-70?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have one on mine. I like it and have verifies its markings out to 300 yards. You can't just add the cap to the scope; the scope has to be set up to take the cap, which will require you either purchasing one direct from the custom shop or sending the one you have back for modification.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I looked into what Leupold charges. The scope is 299.00 with a 110.00 custom charge if I order a scout scope with the CDS dials and a custom turret of my choice. The other option is to send my scope in and they charge 150.00 to install CDS dials with my choice of a turret.

I just bought it from Gander Mountain and only paid 249.00 on a special order. Pretty good price and both deals end up being close so I think I will hold on to it and maybe send it during the off-season.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am in the same boat.
I bought an 1895 two days ago, and now I am shopping for barrel blank, reamer, dies, and scout scope with elevation turret.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts