Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use the Leupold Quick Release bases on a 45-70 or 450 Marlin? I was wondering how they lock up and return to zero.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Don't use them on the 45-70 but they are great in my opinion. They have never crushed or scarred my scopes and always return to zero for me.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I could never get the Leupold rings at a height where they would clear the peep and not be too high. I ended up with a med height DNZ Reaper and it works great. I have the XS rail with the peep.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have them on my 1895 GBL. Shooting 250gr. Barnes TSX FN @ 2375fps. and so far so good. Leupold 2.5X Scout scope XS rail and ghost ring setup. I swap frequently between open sights and scope and the repeatability has been impressive.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't use them on the 45-70 but they are great in my opinion. They have never crushed or scarred my scopes and always return to zero for me.
Are you saying that you don't use them on a 45-70 or are you recommending not to use them on a 45-70?

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
They work great for me on my 1895

Levergun Leather 1.jpg Levergun Leather 4.jpg

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Are you saying that you don't use them on a 45-70 or are you recommending not to use them on a 45-70?
I don't use a scope on my 45-70. On my 300 win mag and 307 win they work great. I'm sure for a 45-70 they will be just fine!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Leupold QR bases are great IMO...
I don't have anyb right now but did on a browning a bolt 300 win mag.
I will be getting 2 or 3 sets again for 243, 700 and 338.
Never had any issues with them holding zero.

Good luck
Blood

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Leupold QR bases are great IMO...
I don't have anyb right now but did on a browning a bolt 300 win mag.
I will be getting 2 or 3 sets again for 243, 700 and 338.
Never had any issues with them holding zero.

Good luck
Blood

Same gun I have mine on:)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I have one set of bases and hate to spend the money for another set or two only to find out they are not all they are cracked up to be. I like a scope as low as possible so this means a 32mm. I have a Leupold 2-7 x 32 on the 450 MXLR and was hoping to be able to swap the scope back and forth between that and the 45-70 XLR. In order to do so I need the mounts to return to zero so that I can record the scope changes needed for one to the other. i.e. from 45-70 to 450: 3" up and 2" right
Regrettably my other scopes are Bushnell 3-9 x 40 mm and in low bases the bell hits the rear sight.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
1 have them on my 1895ss and have total faith in my ability to remove the scope, put it back and have zero change in impact. And this is the best shooting Marlin I own so if it didn't work, I'd never pull the scope once I had it set.

Evidently, there is a variation somewhere though. I don't know if site heights vary, receiver heights vary or base thicknesses vary. On my 1895, I CAN use the open sights but I have heard others here claim they could not. I have pictures of targets shot, the scope on and off the gun and the view over the open sights if you are interested.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Leupold quick detach lasted on mine for 3 years. They eventually failed from the beating. I probably took them off about 5 times in that span.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I use them on my SBL and they work great! I am using a scout scope and
that works awesome. I'm using low rings not mediums.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
There work great on my 444's never had a issue with them, they have stood up to some serious abuse in my load work 444, and that one has the scope removed many, many times.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Here's mine with a Leupold 1.75-6x VXIII.

I'm noticing that my release levers are much smaller than gearhounds shown above. Mine lock up so tight it's often difficult to release them so longer might be a good thing. I don't see how you could possibly shake them loose even with massive recoil so not sure why some people say they've had them fail. Maybe they've changed over the years?

Removes in seconds.

My sights are fully useable so I'm not sure why some people say they can't see theirs. At the very least, if they are just barely low, a guy could easily put a taller front sight on his rifle, move the rear up a notch to compensate and he'd probably be able to see both sights just like mine. Sounds like a bit of a hassle but guys switch front sights all the time when they switch to peep sights so why not for this?

And like I said, this one shoots pretty good....

Reactions: Glen Roamer

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Dave Bulla your levers are smaller because they make 2 types of quick release rings and mounts. Gearhounds has quick release Weaver style with larger levers and a crossbolt and you have the style with a post that fits into the base and the lever cams down on it. I have a set of the Weaver style on a 444XLR. the levers are kind of big but out of way. Not saying one is better than other.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts