Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! So I'm going to through the process of buying my very first scope-mounting setup (on my 336). As an engineer, I'm not totally satisfied with the way the rings sit on the base.

Is it sitting correctly? Will that bottom lip hold well enough? Is it ok that the base isn't exactly parallel with the ring? Please help! Thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/OuJ74RS.jpg

OuJ74RS.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
It doesn't look right. You've surely already checked for interference in the slot. Looks like a call to Adam is in order.

·
Super Moderator
16,116 Posts
Nope... Are there 2 sets of threaded holes? One set at a level with where you have it screwed in in the pic and another set lower? A side view pic would be helpful...

·
Premium Member
11,201 Posts
I bought the rings they sell with the RPP base and they fit well. I also have a set of Leupold rings that do not have the two notches like those you are using.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've heard of some recent Leupold knockoffs. I hope you didn't get a pair of them. I'm not at home to compare., but those don't look real familiar.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Does not look right to me either I mostly use Weaver bases or a good copy of them leupold does make a Weaver style base but I do not know off hand without checking if they have some for Marlin. I have a set of those Leupold rings and there bases on my new to me Remington mine has that extra cut in the ring also but it is in the upper one like yours only it sets down and clamps over the base a lot better then yours in pic. It does make a good looking setup and I was going to change it to Burris signature Z ring but I might just keep them on there. Widow

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
As others have stated no that is not a proper fit. No it won't stay attached very long. As shortstroke eluded too are you sure they aren't knockoff's? If they are Leupold and are not right Leupold will replace them. The bottom of the "hook" should be on the same plane.

·
Premium Member
11,201 Posts
I would make it easy and just order the rings RPP has for sale to fit the base you have. That's what I did and I love the fit and the low scope ride on my 45/70.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It doesn't look right. You've surely already checked for interference in the slot. Looks like a call to Adam is in order.
Yeah perhaps. They're all on vacation though, so maybe I'll call Leupold first.

Nope... Are there 2 sets of threaded holes? One set at a level with where you have it screwed in in the pic and another set lower? A side view pic would be helpful...
There's only one set of threaded holes. Not sure why that lower notch is in there...

From the front view it looks like it has a lower v notch that would allow it to seat properly on the base.
There's not other set of threads to use that lower notch with. Not sure why they put that lower notch in it...

I bought the rings they sell with the RPP base and they fit well. I also have a set of Leupold rings that do not have the two notches like those you are using.
Are your Leupold rings the PRWs?

I've heard of some recent Leupold knockoffs. I hope you didn't get a pair of them. I'm not at home to compare., but those don't look real familiar.
Hmm, they feel like decent quality pieces and the packaging looked right. I wonder...

Does not look right to me either I mostly use Weaver bases or a good copy of them leupold does make a Weaver style base but I do not know off hand without checking if they have some for Marlin. I have a set of those Leupold rings and there bases on my new to me Remington mine has that extra cut in the ring also but it is in the upper one like yours only it sets down and clamps over the base a lot better then yours in pic. It does make a good looking setup and I was going to change it to Burris signature Z ring but I might just keep them on there. Widow
Yeah, I love the way these rings look so I was hoping they'd work out. Hopefully I get this figured out...

As others have stated no that is not a proper fit. No it won't stay attached very long. As shortstroke eluded too are you sure they aren't knockoff's? If they are Leupold and are not right Leupold will replace them. The bottom of the "hook" should be on the same plane.
Well, I bought the ones in the link below. Seemed like a legit seller and the packaging and pieces actually look/feel real, but who knows. I'm not an expert in knockoffs.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002IMUNK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I would make it easy and just order the rings RPP has for sale to fit the base you have. That's what I did and I love the fit and the low scope ride on my 45/70.
Yeah, I may end up doing that if this doesn't get figured out. I really like the look of the Leupold rings...
Did you lap your rings?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after doing some measurements with my calipers, I've come to the conclusion that the Leupold rings aren't exactly built to fit on a mil-spec rail. The RPP rail is mil-spec and the Leupold rings don't account for the flat sides of the rail... I guess I'll have to get different rings..

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Have a set of the same only QRW on an ARMS mount and they fit perfectly. Mine are actual Leupold bought through Brownells. Not sure what webyshops sells where you apparently purchased yours.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Yeah I've got some QRW's on RPP's rail and they fit fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have a set of the same only QRW on an ARMS mount and they fit perfectly. Mine are actual Leupold bought through Brownells. Not sure what webyshops sells where you apparently purchased yours.
Yeah I've got some QRW's on RPP's rail and they fit fine.
Hmm, I bought them off Amazon and I think they shipped from a seller called "Big Fly Sports". Maybe I'll try picking some up from Bass Pro and see if they work any better..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts