Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel free to start telling me and everyone about your .41 or .32.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've got a Ruger Single-Six 32 magnum(older adjustable sights). It's 5.5" and shoots like a dream. Haven't killed much with it yet, but the possums, and stuff I have busted with it sure folded up after being hit with those 85g XTP-HPs!

When the funds are better, I'm gonna have a stainless Single-Six converted to 32 magnum. I like the look, and feel of stainless way better, plus being all stainless it'll balance better that this one with that daggone alloy grip frame.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice shooter lester. Im on the verge of getting a Ruger GP .32.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've got a gun like Jerry's. The cartridge sure does perform well in these guns. Looking forward to the Taurus levergun, Marlin's 1894 action is just too big for this little round.

I've got a Contender carbine in .41 Mag, another great cartridge. Those "pistol" cartridges sure are efficient when used in rifles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have never shot the 32s, but always figured they would make a great jackrabbit/coyote cartridge. But, then again, I have no problem with shooting jackrabbits with my 7 mag either.
The 41 now, that is a different story. Those that know me say I'm a little obsessive about it. I shoot a 41 in a Ruger Blackhawk with 6 3/8" barrel, I have a 14" Contender barrel in 41 mag and having one rechambered by Gary Reeder for the 41 GNR2, (445 supermag necked down to .410), I just ordered a Taurus Titanium Tracker in 41 mag for a Carry weapon and am trying to order a Marlin 1894FG. Now the real trick is to figure out how to modify a Ruger GP100 or SP101 into a five shot 41"special", I know it has been done with the Blackhawk, but the double actions would make for a nice carry gun. I would like to have one of Gary's "Bighorn Hunter" rifles, it is a Marlin 1894 modified to shoot the 410 GNR(454 Casull) necked down to .410, but the 1600 dollar price tags scares me. My name is Jim and I AM a 41 magaholic.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
grumpy, interesting arsenal, Ive got the same Blackhawk as you. We put some nice Hoague grips on it 8)

·
Registered
18 Posts
981tman, what are you shooting in your blackhawk? I can load almost anything in my blackhawk and it will shoot it well, but right now I'm shooting 255 gr gas checked CPBs, (www.castperformance.com) and love shooting them. I have yet to get a deer with them, but have shot a 300 pound black bear, a 285 pound hog and several coyotes with them. I see no problem with hunting anything in the lower 48 with this load and would not feel under gunned using it for backup in Alaska.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
grumpy, we usually shoot a variety of jacketed 210 grainers and sierra 170s for targets. Another favorite of ours is a 200 grn reminton jacketed, they are chap but good. Occasionaly cast lead bullets will be used, but its lately been jacketed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That 200 gr Remington is a real sleeper. It has worked in every rifle or handgun we have tried it in. Even the 41GNR2. I have not chronoed it yet, but it is supposed to reach over 2000 fps from a 14" barrel. What I do know, is that I'm hitting about a 4" group at a hundred consistently, and for me that's pretty damn good. And they are great jackrabbit/coyote bullets out of the 1894s.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Haven't tried the .32 mag yet but always wanted a Single Six with Adj sights or a S&W Model 16.

Now the .41 mag I've owned Smith Models 57s, 58s and 657s, 14" TC bbl and a Marlin 1894S. Really like the ctg and have been shooting it over 20 years now. Hopefully I'll be able to hunt with it this deer season (missed last 6 seasons being overseas).

CD

·
Registered
45 Posts
Question on .41

Gentlemen,

Brand spaking new to this forum. Also a new Marilin owner - bought my first one last March, a real sweet 30/30 SS model.

A came across this post and I have to ask you something -

(Apologies upfront since this thread was for .41 and .32)

I'm about to buy myself a Ruger Blackhawk. I'm not sure whether I want to buy the .44 or the .41.

The gun will primarily be used at my lease in Texas. I hunt a lot of hogs with either bow and arrow or my 30.30. Generally, I'm either stalking or hidden by a stock tank. The revolver will be for back up. Once in a while those ol' hogs come running after you if you stick them with an arrow (go figure.)

I kind of liked the idea of the .41. It's different and cheaper. However, my buddy told me that the .41 would be underpowered and ammunition was hard to get.

Being underpowered is a concern. Cause I'm not using the gun for hunting, where I could get a good shot. It would likely be in a hurried self defense mode.

I've also heard that as the .41 doesn't kick nearly as much, second and third shots are more likely on target.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have to offer.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
The 41 will not be under powered for deer and hogs. It gives up very little to the 44. Factory ammo is more difficult to find and there are less choices available than the 44. If you reload, this is a non-issue. I am partial to a 230gr Keith bullet or the Hornaday 210XTP. Keep in mind that the 41 will be a Balckhawk and the 44 will be a Sper Blackhawk which has a bit longer grip (more room for your pinky finger).

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm a great big fan of both calibers. If you are not into handloading your own, then these might not be the proper choices -- unless ya have real deep pockets.

I have a Gary Reeder custom Vaqueritto in .32H&R that is a hoot to shoot and accurate as anything I have ever shot. Also, managed to get my paws on a sweet little S&W Model 16-4 that I had lusted for until I was finally able to pry it away from the last owner. Then the Marlin 1894CB32 came along.

Now, to the .41s...... Have one of the Accu-Sport Ruger special run bisleys, Bisley Blackhawk, Model 57 and 657.
Rich

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I always wanted a .32 Ruger but never got around to it... I was always too busy buying or looking for another .41 Magnum!

I have had 5 different Smith 57's including a beautiful first run .41 Classic (unfluted cylinder, 6.5" bbl, not the awful 7.5 on the current run...) finally got a Marlin 41 lever-action and recently got a stainless Ruger Bisley in .41, although I have to send it to Ruger because of a poor cylinder pin.

Probably me favorite 41 is my 1st Gen Smith 57 with a 4" bbl. It shoots just as well as my Classic does (at normal handgun ranges...) and has an action and blueing job to die for. I just love it.

I handload so ammo isn't an issue. Bullet selection these days has improved greatly as has available factory ammo so I don't think the .44 vs .41 argument will hold water anymore. Yes, I know, the .44 has a slight power advantage over the .41, yea, yea, blah, blah. It's all in shot placement.

What .32?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a blued steel adj sight Single Six in .32 h&r a stainless steel fixed sight Single Six .32h&r and a Blackhawk in .41mag. Use the first 2 for plinking, small game etc... I pack the .41 while deer hunting.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 inch barrel in 41mag, corbon made up some Cast Performance 265gr meplat loads that were +P .A corbon tech told me they were excellent for Griz or any other large mammal and in discussing my weapon he informed me he also had a 4 5/8 in barreled Ruger BH in 41mag also at that time much of their testing was done using Ruger BH's.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here are a few photos of my Peformance Center 41 Magnum.

One for laughs, the last thing that a hog or deer might ever see.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ruger Blackhawks: I added Hogue Rubber Grips to mine since my hands are large and it's more comfortable shooting. 45 long colt info http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_Bisley45.htm My Ruger BH's have 4 5/8" barrels as they are easier to carry if you're using them as a backup when hunting,one friend took a dealers advice buying a BH with 4 5/8 inch barrel in 45lc since he was hunting with a 7mm mag rifle he put the BH to use with Buffalo Bore 300gr Speer jacketed ammo @1300+fps shot a wounded fleeing cow elk thru the head at 65 yards dropping her.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts