Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Nice deer. But the last time I was hunting 336, It was at a pawn shop and it was a 1950 35 cal. Hate to say it but it got away. Talked too much and some one else stepped in for the kill.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I love the pic of the rifle straddling the two deer....priceless!

M

Reactions: 35REMSHOOTER

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Do you harvest Hogs for the meat, or because they are a nuisance animal, or both?

I see you have both a 35 Rm and a 45-70. How do you choose what rifle you are going to pack for the hunt? Forgive me for stupid questions, but AFAIK their aren't any wild hogs where I live.

Mike T.

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
Do you harvest Hogs for the meat, or because they are a nuisance animal, or both?

I see you have both a 35 Rm and a 45-70. How do you choose what rifle you are going to pack for the hunt? Forgive me for stupid questions, but AFAIK their aren't any wild hogs where I live.
I harvest hogs to eat. I have many on my property and they can be a nuisance, but I never kill one unless to eat.

It's a HARD choice between the 35 Rem and the 45-70! I use the 35 more often because it's my favorite rifle in my favorite caliber. But the 45-70 is just pure FUN!

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I have been fishing around for a 35 Rem caliber, but I am seeing prices of 500 for a JM stamped rifle on the For Sale websites. Also, ammo is scarce and I've been avoiding non standard calibers. I can't afford to buy an expensive door stop. Anyway, I am not working and I am keeping $$$ close to the vest. Its not like I need a middle caliber right now.

I took my 45-70 out to the Range this week and had a little fun! Great weapon, quite a devasating round to shot down range!

Right now I'm back to trying to improve my shooting skills, which will require more practice. I hadn't shot a rifle in over 30 years until I got the lever gun bug, and it shows.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
That is a beautiful deer and an absolutely fantastic rifle!
Thanks. Getting that rifle was somewhat of a risk. I searched for a clean Marlin in 375 for a long time until this one popped up in a blurry pic on Armslist. I sent a check and a few days later this fine rifle arrived. Just before deer season, I attached an old Weaver scope made in El Paso, TX along with the rings my father used on a 336 in the early 60's. It was a very fun hunt using vintage equipment.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Thanks. Getting that rifle was somewhat of a risk. I searched for a clean Marlin in 375 for a long time until this one popped up in a blurry pic on Armslist. I sent a check and a few days later this fine rifle arrived. Just before deer season, I attached an old Weaver scope made in El Paso, TX along with the rings my father used on a 336 in the early 60's. It was a very fun hunt using vintage equipment.
Exceedingly well done!

Roe

·
Registered
484 Posts
Snout

Don't pay attention to the date stamp. This is a java that I shot with my 336 30-30 and Leverevolution rounds in 2011. At 90 yards it took two steps and fell over. Heck of a hole.

·
Registered
484 Posts
A nine I took with my 336 in 2012. I look pretty ragged after pulling him out of some pretty thick stuff. I shot him at 15 yards through a hole in the limbs with some Hornady Reduced recoil rounds. I had picked those up instead of the Leverevolution for my son and had it sighted in for those. I shot two deer with those and little blood trail so I told my son to suck it up and shoot Leverevolutions.

Deer hunting Deer Hunting Roe deer Trophy hunting

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Wow, you sent a check? To someone that listed on Arms list? My, that IS a leap of faith. The only way I will do business with someone on armslist is face to face. The first deal I tried to do ended up with me sitting on my hands for two hours, the dude never showed up! When I got home I sent him an email and he replied "I got tied up in traffic, I will have to meet you some other time next week". I sent him back an email and asked him why he didn't CALL me on my cell phone? He said he "Lost it". There are a lot of idiots on this planet, and that was one of them.

Hey thanks for the DETAILS on your hunt! Really awesome! HA HA, you take a chance on an Armslist gun, mount "vintage" mount and scope and head out hunting! That goes to show you that success is not so much what you shoot, but rather the SHOOTER! Good Job! :rock:

Cheers!

Mike T.

Reactions: bassetman1974
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.