Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I "bit the bullet" (bad pun) and stripped my 336 down and cleaned everything. I followed a great video on youtube Marlin Lever-Action Disassembly and Tuning - Part 1 of 2 - YouTube and disassembled it. I cleaned it all by giving a light smear of oil and deburred edges on the base plate. I'll cycle dummy rounds through it over the next few days but initial tests look promising. The first picture is the 336 in bits with my mud-map so I could put it back together. The second shows the burred edges prior to sanding.
DSC_0003.JPG burred edges.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh it jammed intermittently on the first few rounds. Very annoying, the round would go "nose down" near the base plate and get jammed.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Ozlife,

I watched that same vid. myself just for curiosity. My 444 is ok except that occasionaly a round gets a bit hung up on the inside of the loading gate opening, it catches on the edge of the case mouth. Mabee a light sand to the inside edge of it might solve the prob. THE 444 loads and cycles heaps better than my Win. 30.30 though, but thats the way Winnies are in post 64 mods, a bit like Remlins are now.

GUS

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hasn't jammed yet... but it has only been a day! The action feels better I reckon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll declare it a fix, the action works 100% of the time and is smooother. I think the problem was that the carrier was sluggish due to some packing grease at the hinge end and burring along the edges. Pretty happy with it and myself.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Well done.

Mark.

Reactions: ozlife

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Good to see you have it fixed. Now you know you rifle better than you ever did. Good luck with it...:tee:

Reactions: ozlife

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm glad it's fixed the problem, ozlife.

Thanks for posting the link to the videos, too. I've been meaning to pollish the action on my 1895 for a while so I might have a look & get stuck into it this weekend.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi gafloss I did a bit of Latin once in another reincarnation and "Quando omni flunkus moritati" means "when EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) fails, play dead" LOL; Bloody excellent advice!! :shot:

·
Registered
99 Posts
What's Latin for "At the first sign of danger, play dead"? That might keep me out of more trouble.:hmmmm:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts