Marlin Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I don't know exactly how to go about doing this, but maybe someone can get us started. The wife of member PMSteve's Ula needs our help funding her liver transplant. I know we have been enthusiastic in raising funds in support of officer Wilson for his defense in Ferguson,Mo and we should be just as enthusiastic in an endeavor for one of our own members.

Unfortunately, I'm not very savvy with computers, so I don't know how to post a link for donations, but there is a link at the bottom of all Steve's posts, so maybe someone else can provide the link for me?

I'm sure Steve and Ula would appreciate any help we can provide in getting her the help that she needs. Let's provide her the same help that we gave for officer Wilson.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Hey PMSteve,

Prayer sent for the Mrs.

Let me know where to send donation.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Thanks, etexoldguy and papajohnabi, I appreciate the shout out.

There is a link to the fund raising site in my signature line - Ula's Liver Transplant Fund - just click on it and follow the links to the donation page. The site is secure and their percentage is the lowest of all the fundraising websites out there.

We've had to relocate from our (paid for) home in Nevada to a one bedroom 500 sq. ft. apartment in Salt Lake City to be near the University of Utah Medical Center where the transplant surgery will he performed if we're lucky enough to get a matching liver.

She's been doing quite well for the past few weeks but this week she needs to have a shunt replaced. The one she has recirculates fluid from her abdomen back through her jugular vein, but it's getting clogged. The fluid is fairly viscous. A normal liver takes care of this, but hers is so damaged that it has to be done artificially. This will require a minor surgery and a day ir two in the ICU. She's already spent 72 days straight in the hospital and has had five surgeries since April 15th. She's lost over 120 pounds since then.

We have good insurance but it doesn't cover many things that are necessary. We live basically on SSI and a small (really small) retirement from the postal service. Our rent here takes about half of our monthly income.

I'm a proud guy and have never asked for help in this way in my life. But when my wife's life is in the balance, I'm like that Billy Joel/Garth Brooks song - Shameless. I'll do whatever it takes. Your prayers and donations are more than welcome.

Again, the link is in my signature line. The fundraiser page has photos and a better explanation of her condition.

Thanks for your prayers!

Steve & Ula Garrison

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Thanks to everyone who have donated and offered up prayers! Your support means a lot to us!

Her condition is slowly deteriorating and her doctor visits are becoming more frequent, even though her latest rounds of tests show that other than her liver failure, she's fairly healthy. A transplant would give her years that would otherwise be lost.

Steve

Reactions: skratch

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Gentlemen,

To be honest I was a bit embarrassed when I went to Steve's site to make a donation. There is no reason he can't meet his goal of $45,000.00 thru donations from members of MO alone!

What are we? 40-50 thousand members strong here right? That math gets him to 45K and over real quick like if folks would only take two minutes to give of themselves to the tune of 10 bucks.....

I have witnessed first hand the generosity of spirit and the outpouring of support for my young grandson who was diagnosed this spring with an especially rare form of brain cancer. So, I know that generosity exists in the MO family as well.

To any of you interested, I would be willing to lend a hand in whatever capacity I can to help Steve and his wife. Maybe a raffle of a nice rifle? Maybe a shirt sale? OMG did I just say that? :)

Maybe the owners could put a banner up for some period of time on the top of all pages? Hell I dunno, just thinking out loud about how to help one of our brethern who obviously needs our assistance.

raindawg

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
I found the site to be really easy to use...everybody has 10 or 20 lying around...just do it...

Steve - my significant other had a transplant 18yrs ago....it came in the 11th hour - just days left - hang in there -

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Steve,

I just made a meager donation to your wife's cause. I can only hope it helps to some degree. Both of you will be in my prayers.
Gentlemen,

To be honest I was a bit embarrassed when I went to Steve's site to make a donation. There is no reason he can't meet his goal of $45,000.00 thru donations from members of MO alone!

What are we? 40-50 thousand members strong here right? That math gets him to 45K and over real quick like if folks would only take two minutes to give of themselves to the tune of 10 bucks.....

I have witnessed first hand the generosity of spirit and the outpouring of support for my young grandson who was diagnosed this spring with an especially rare form of brain cancer. So, I know that generosity exists in the MO family as well.

To any of you interested, I would be willing to lend a hand in whatever capacity I can to help Steve and his wife. Maybe a raffle of a nice rifle? Maybe a shirt sale? OMG did I just say that? :)

Maybe the owners could put a banner up for some period of time on the top of all pages? Hell I dunno, just thinking out loud about how to help one of our brethern who obviously needs our assistance.

raindawg
I found the site to be really easy to use...everybody has 10 or 20 lying around...just do it...

Steve - my significant other had a transplant 18yrs ago....it came in the 11th hour - just days left - hang in there -
Gentlemen, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your kind words and donations lift me up.

The doctors have told us that she is in the 'End Stage' of her non-alcoholic cirrhosis, which just scares the living crap out of both of us. The doctors have run test after test and still don't have a clue as to why or how she contracted this devastating disease. They now think it may be hereditary, since she has never in her life had a drink of alcohol. This disease is commonly caused by life-long alcohol consumption.

Whenever we tell someone that she has cirrhosis, we almost always get 'The Look', like 'well, what do you expect?'. It kills her having to explain and look at the doubting faces.

In any case, we both appreciate the generosity and prayers from members of MO forum. It's nice to know that someone supports our efforts to raise some cash.

Every dime goes directly into our savings for the transplant expenses. If the worst happens, well, those expenses will be covered too. Thank you all.

PS: Raindawg, I can't believe you mentioned a shirt sale :hmmmm:. I'd have thought you'd have had enough of those!

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Steve, between you and me and etexoldguy we're gonna keep this at the top of the food chain! Thanks for being patient with us! We really do care, just need to get the word out! John

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey folks, are we going to have to turn this into an "Ice Bucket Challenge" to get this cause rolling? I'm not seeing Ula's numbers going up nearly as fast as they should.You can make your donations anonymous if you would like, but MAKE some. I'm on a fixed income but still squeezed out a meager donation. So let's dig deep or dig shallow, but DIG out something for a good cause.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't have a lot but I have enough to give a little to a brother / sister in need. Where can I donate? Just give the word. I have already spoken to the big man up top asking for divine intervention.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.