Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I want to set my Marlins up as Scout rifles, and I'm not having much luck with scope selection. I have a 336 with a Simmons 4X pistol (Extended Eye Relief) scope on it. It works, but I have to park at the far end of the stock to see clearly, just too much eye relief. (20" or so.) I'd rather have my face closer to the action, so I'm looking for a scope with 15-18" of eye relief. My choices are pretty limited! I already have the AO/XS mounts for the rifles, I just need scopes that fit. I've looked at the Burris 2.75, and the Leupold 4X, but I need more magnification than that for my aging eyes. 3X9 would be prefect, but I could settle for a 2X7 if that's all that's out there. I'bve been thru the Midway catalog so much the Optics section is nearly worn out.

What are you guys using, that has workable eye relief, and plenty of magnification? I need to decide soon, my tax check will be here in no time!

Thanks folks!

Papajohn the Retinally Challenged Scout-Wannabe

·
Registered
736 Posts
papajohn,

The Leupold M8 Scout is mentioned often on this sight and others. It may be the premier scout scope. All my Leupolds perform flawlessly.

The Leupold M8 Scout exhibits 22 feet FOV (field of view) at 100 yards. Keep in mind that a scope with higher magnification would exhibit correspondingly less FOV given the same eye relief and lens diameters. Severely limited FOV is one reason my gun is not setup as a scout. Less FOV would only exacerbate this apparent shortcoming.

·
Registered
131 Posts
papajohn,
The ideally you dont want anything over 3x in a scout setup. If you get a higer magnifcation you begin to defeat the scout concept. I had a 2x-7x on my 450 for a while. If you start using the higher magnifcations than it becomes difficult to keep both eyes open and not make your head go crazy.

The higher magnification was nice at the range but in the field is was useless.
PB

·
Registered
60 Posts
Try a BSA pistol scope in 2x from Sportsmans Guide. The eye relief is shorter than most. I can't use it on my pistol because of that (and ape like arms). They sell for $35 bucks and as a trial scope they are hard to beat. I put one on my shotgun in scout config and it works great. I agree with the previous post, for fast sight acquisition the low power is better. If you want to spring on the Burris or Leupold than look no further.

The heavy reticle that the leupold is nice with a low power scope, but scout scopes require some retraining of the shooter. You have to keep both eyes open. Practice like it is a shotgun and you will fare better. If you feel you are closing an eye, which you will do with a higher magnification, then you need to practice more. Also scope height can also affect your view, chose your rings carefully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts