Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a chance to look through the new line of vx freedom scopes? I'm thinking about picking up one in 1.5-4x20 for my 45/70. Price seems reasonable and glass is supposed to compare to the vx2

·
Registered
21,349 Posts
Was lookin' at their scopes today! Look like a pretty decent scope for the price IMO!

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Administrator
30,948 Posts
I spoke with a Leupold tech the other day regarding the Freedom scope. He said they're equivalent to VX2 only cheaper due to new manufacturing procedures that reduce the cost. Leupold decided to end their VX1 and Rifleman series as well.

I've yet to find a Freedom scope in the wild but look forward to checking them out.

Jack

·
Registered
197 Posts
Purchase a 3-9x40 Rimfire version a week or so ago for my cz452. I found the optics very clear for my tiring eyes. My first Leupold scope but definitely not my last after using it. I think they are great value and quality. Now I am thinking that I need 2-7x33 for my 336 30/30. As funds permit will also replace the Tasco 3-9x40 I have on a 222.

Reactions: MISportsman

·
Super Moderator
26,214 Posts
Took a close look at a 2-7X Freedom model about two weeks back. Very light weight and seemed to be well made at a reasonable price. I think Leupold will sell a lot of these.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just placed my order on vx freedom 1.5-4x20 with the duplex reticle. I was going to order the Nikon monarch 3 but the freedom is almost half the price so I will give it a try. Can't go wrong with a Leopold

·
Banned
619 Posts
When I found out about the Freedom scopes I went to Midway and found the VX-I and VX-II on clearance. I bought a couple of those just because I thought the Freedoms would be even shorter. All modern scope seem to be getting shorter, and therefore harder to mount, than the old ones. I haven't seen a Freedom, but I hate short scopes.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I got 2 of them for my 336 30-30`s. VXFreedom 2-7X33, So far they have been ok, One seem to about run out of right adjustment, but I think its ok still. I dont much like the flat finish but I do like the lifetime warranty and the price.
Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Air gun

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
When I found out about the Freedom scopes I went to Midway and found the VX-I and VX-II on clearance. I bought a couple of those just because I thought the Freedoms would be even shorter. All modern scope seem to be getting shorter, and therefore harder to mount, than the old ones. I haven't seen a Freedom, but I hate short scopes.
I`m not thinking they are too short. These are compared to a 1980 Tasco ( the shiny one). Ive moved them as far forward as I could for my eyes, but I might drill another rear slot in the mount and I can move them just a little more. Set pretty close for me right now though.
Gun Firearm Rifle Air gun Shotgun

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
If you use a picatinny of some sort you have much more adjustment for your optic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I was going to buy a cheap scope, and I often have, I would rather trust Leupold than most. If they put their name on it, its going to be OK.
Thats the way I look at it to. This scope is still made in America and not overseas like many other makers are doing and is covered by the Same lifetime warranty as other leupold models.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been trying to decide between the vx freedom and a nikon prostaff for both my gbl .45 70 and my .300 win mag. So far I've been hearing good things about then vx freedom. Does anyone have any.experience with them in the field?

·
Premium Member
25,452 Posts
When I found out Leupold was dis-continuing the VX1 and Rifleman series, I ordered two of the VX1 2-7X33's
to put back. Bought them both off Amzon on clearance for 169.99 and free shipping.
I have, I believe, 5 of these in current use, one on a 45-70, with absolutely no issues.
Only thing I don't like about the Freedom they replaced this line with is the taller turrets.

·
Super Moderator
26,214 Posts
When I found out Leupold was dis-continuing the VX1 and Rifleman series, I ordered two of the 2-7X33's
to put back. Bought them both off Amzon on clearance for 169.99 and free shipping.
I have, I believe, 5 of these in current use, one on a 45-70, with absolutely no issues.
Only thing I don't like about the Freedom they replaced this line with is the taller turrets.
Yep! I don't like that feature either. My Redfield Revolutions (Leupold made) and the old VX-1s/2s are much lower profile.

Reactions: JACKTW and navajo
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.