Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this scope? I'm looking for a starter scout scope for a guide gun. I can probably get a good deal on this. It would be used for whitetails in woods.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Only by reputation, which is excellent. Have you found scoutrifle.org? Lots of good scout rifle info there (not surprisingly).

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Leupold makes great scopes, I've used them for decades without any issues at all. I'm just not sure how many variants of that scope were made, and if using for a "scout scope" type set-up, make sure it has the extended eye relief you would need for that if the case... (receiver mount vs. barrel mounting)
Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
We have several Leupold scopes including a 1.5-5 X 33 VXR Scout Scope. All are great scopes. I'm sure the model you are considering would be fine too.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Thanks also on the scout rifle .org. I'll check that out too. I know Leuopold makes great stuff.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I have two of that very scope. I have one on my GBL and a spare that I have on the shelf. It is perfect for a big bore rifle as it has very generous eye relief.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
BigMike, I've got an Older M8 6x on an older Weatherby 270 mag that is a tack driver. Can't go wrong with Leupold probably the best bang for your buck scope made IMHO.
JB

·
Registered
255 Posts
The scope you're looking at is a handgun scope right?
I have a couple older M8's collecting dust. One blue, one silver. As I remember you must really be spot on when it comes to your eye placement to get a full view. The new scout scopes are much more forgiving and work really well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had one of these scopes on a guide gun in a scout scope set up. My reticle did break from the recoil of the 45-70. I called Leupold and talked to them and told them I was not the original owner but did have the box and all paperwork. They told me to send it in and they would look at it. I got a call a few days later, and they didn't want to put the same reticle back in the scope they asked if they could put a German post in instead. They felt this reticle would hold up to the recoil better. I agreed. Really loved the German post. Traded the rifle later down the road, so I don't have it anymore. Love the customer service at Leupold. Everything was free of charge.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe y'all can help again. I bought the scope, I have couple more questions. I want to use Leopold qr rings, does a 1" tube take 1" rings? Also what height would you use for a guide gun?

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
961 Posts
iER's are a love hate arrangement. Dad hates my Leopold scout and I dig it. I setup dad's 1894 with a red field gold five star 1-4 and after using it for two years he figured out that he could move the power ring off where I had sighted it in at about 2.5.

It is not really a scope setup to me. It is just advanced iron sights. I still hunt 90% of my field time so when I get a chance I might have 15 to 20 seconds to get on target and get off a shot. By then the animal has me figured out and will move on either at a walk or a sprint. I love the ability to grab the handle at the receiver but after hunting for several years with the scout setup I can see a few issues with the setup. Low light (extreme), shooting into or with sun directly behind me. I might at some time jump off the scout bandwagon and go with a conventional setup. Some of the newer scopes have unbelievable clarity and wonderful low light abilities. It is just I spent the money already and it works great. If it is not broke I normally don't fix it.

Here is my setup and last years deer. I long shot for me in open field at 90 steps plus. The deer was moving the whole time and I fired 4 times with 2 hits. I believe I hit the first and last shots. I think in hind sight one shot was all that was needed but I got no back leg kick or twitch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts