Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did you, or do you, carry while on duty?

For most of my career, my duty sidearm was this 1997 Kimber 45 1911. I bought it the first year the Yonkers Kimber pistols were produced, and it's now got 85,000+ rounds through it. I bought a new Bar Sto barrel & bushing for it, but haven't yet installed the new barrel. I've tried to maintain it well over the years. The finish is probably 25% gone, and it's worn smooth. I like the gun, and have carried on and off duty, for SWAT, on Patrol, as a Detective, and in the gang unit.

As a backup gun, carried under my uniform shirt, I had several different guns over the years, but ended up with this 9mm Kahr, which I really like in that role:

The Bushmaster AR-15 with the 1.5-4x Leupold was my "patrol rifle" in the squad car, along with a Rem 870 12 gauge.

When I started, the shotgun was loaded with slugs and buckshot. Later it was loaded with "drag stabilized" bean bag "less lethal" rounds. Those proved EXCELLENT when I shot a naked, drugged up goofball who was assaulting people at an elementary school. One shot, and it was like a rug had been yanked out from under him. I kinda liked doing that. :) Makes me feel good just thinking about it.

How 'bout you guys?

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,701 Posts
Started out with a S&W M15 , M16, and an 870 in the Air Force. (M79s and M60's available)

Model 10 S&W then M66 with a municipal PD. Concurrent with the Army Reserves, Remington rand 1911A1. Carried a S&W Model 60 off duty, and a Stainless Speed-Six, a Colt Sporter AR15 for SWAT, then a Remington 700 Bull Barrel in .308 with a 3-9 Redfield - a one holer. Started with an Winchester 1895 12 ga Heat shrouded barrel with a bayonet lug was the cruiser's gun.

Sheriff's Office, Colt Series 70, Remington electric locked to the dash. PPK as a backup and sometimes an FTL Auto-9 in the pocket. We were one man cruisers and often more than 45 minutes and 30 miles from a backup.

AC

·
Registered
985 Posts
H & K USP .40 Compact LEM stoked w/ Fed. 180 gr. HST. Used to be Speer 165 gr. Gold Dots but they changed them a few years back to the Feds. I like the gun so much, it is also my primary home-carry piece. I still carry the GD's in my personal weapon tho'.

Tim

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Smith and Wesson model 15, when transporting, Remington 870 and a Winchester model 94 in 30-30 when I was in the tower. No I'm not confused or mistaken a dang Model 94 the gun must have been used in the Indian Wars the lever was so loose sometimes it wouldn't hit the trigger safety and it wouldn't fire. The rifle was almost white with only a little bluing left between the barrel and the tube area. The Armory Sgt was a grizzled old SOB that had been stabbed once and had the disposition of pissed off Brahma bull so I did exactly what I should have done as an 18 year old that hardly shaved took it and my butt to the tower and never said a word.

·
Premium Member
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yes, I did neglect to mention the bolt action rifle I used for 12 years on SWAT, and still have:

Known locally as the "Green Machine" it's a Rem 700 with the action "trued" and a 24" .308 Win Krieger barrel. 1:12 twist. Danged thing is mighty accurate, about 2.5" - 3" groups at 600 yards. I've done a little hunting with it and some competition shooting too. Nice rifle, one of my very favorites.

Guy

·
Registered
829 Posts
Originally issued Colt 1911 Series 2 and Remington 870 with #4 Buckshot. Very soon after I started we switched to Sigs in 40; you could choose either the P226 or P229. We also got Patrol rifles to go with the shotgun. Started out with Bushmasters. Currently we are issued Glock 21, Colt 6920 with Eotech, 870 with both 00 Buck and slugs. Sgt car also has a 40mm less lethal launcher.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Started of with personally owned guns. Went through S&W 686, SIG P226 then S&W 3904. When we went to issued guns it was a gen 2 glock 17 then a series of glock 22/23 (Gen 2-4). I retired with my last one, a gen 4 G23. I had and still have my personal, department approved 870 that was my favored companion for "those" calls.

·
Super Moderator
15,265 Posts
Issued a mod. 15 SW then off to the Academy. Can't remember the number of rounds fired there, but it went promptly into the box once on the street. (looks new today) Carried the mod 25-5 (long colt) 6" for 14 'street' years w/ mod 36 as 'back up'. Carried the SIG 220 for my 'dope' years. Took that to the Aviation Division where I finished 'with a crash' :flute: wearing my Colt 1911 which I much preferred above the SIG. ....and always will!

John

·
Super Moderator
15,265 Posts
Oh yes, I did neglect to mention the bolt action rifle I used for 12 years on SWAT, and still have:

Known locally as the "Green Machine" it's a Rem 700 with the action "trued" and a 24" .308 Win Krieger barrel. 1:12 twist. Danged thing is mighty accurate, about 2.5" - 3" groups at 600 yards. I've done a little hunting with it and some competition shooting too. Nice rifle, one of my very favorites.

Guy
GEEEEEEZZZZZ Guy! ...............Lucky if I'd make paper. ;D

John

·
Premium Member
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Windage and elevation... :)

I've shot to 1,000 with a conventional/target rifle, but not much beyond. Some guys are shooting great at ranges well beyond that.

I figured that even in open/rural country, I'd probably never have to make a shot much beyond 300 yards, and most of the time when I set up with the ol' Green Machine, I was within 100 yards of the target. Thankfully I never had to squeeze the trigger with anyone in the sights. It was a near thing a few times.

I think most cops are very glad they never had to shoot anyone, but were prepared to do so.

Guy

·
Registered
712 Posts
I started out with a S & W Model 15, to S&W L Frame 686?, to S&W 645 and finally the S&W 40F which I was given to me when I retired. Carried a S&W 639 or a S&W Model 36, 2 in. for backup or off duty.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
What did you, or do you, carry while on duty?

For most of my career, my duty sidearm was this 1997 Kimber 45 1911. I bought it the first year the Yonkers Kimber pistols were produced, and it's now got 85,000+ rounds through it. I bought a new Bar Sto barrel & bushing for it, but haven't yet installed the new barrel. I've tried to maintain it well over the years. The finish is probably 25% gone, and it's worn smooth. I like the gun, and have carried on and off duty, for SWAT, on Patrol, as a Detective, and in the gang unit.
That Kimber just has the look of a "an old friend". I've seen it posted a few times here and there, and I like it more each time. I guess after all of those years and rounds, it is an old friend. It just looks "comforting"....... :biggrin: Of course I'm fond of worn looking Marlins too. You know the ones, with the bluing worn off right where they balance so good, right in front of the lever. Those kind of guns really appeal to me. For some odd reason I'd just as soon have a gun like that as a new one. It it bumps a door frame or gets dropped, you don't worry about it. You just keep it wiped down, loaded and ready to go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I started out with the S&W 686 .357 Loved that weapon. moved on to the Beretta 92 and now have transitioned to Sig P226 .40.
patrol rifle was the ruger mini 14 and we had 12ga 870s in the cruiser. backup is a model 36 it was my grandfathers issue revolver when he was in. i just missed serving with him by about 3 1/2 years.Jim

·
Registered
43 Posts
I started out with a Beretta 96D in 99/2000 and swapped to the Sig 220ST as soon as I was able which was about a year and a half into my career. I carried that until about 4 years ago when we were forced into the Glock 17 or 19. Remington 870 Shotgun, and a RockRiver LAR-15 for my Patrol Rifle. I really miss that ole Sig 220.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I was a member of a small, rural PD from 1982 to '87. We had one full-time officer who worked 9-5, mon. thru fri., and four part-time officers (including me) who worked nights and weekends. We carried our own personal revolvers - mine was a S&W 586. In '84, it was decided that we had to carry township-owned weapons, and we were supplied with H&K P7-M8 semi autos. Shortly after I left the Dept., they switched to Glocks.

Reactions: gunscrewguy
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.