Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya know, I never had a problem with LOP on a rifle. My LOP is 13 1/2 max. Anything over that is not to comfortable for me. But why do shotgun manufactures have very little if none at all products with a LOP less than 14? Yes they have youth models that are less but always in 20 gauge or smaller or they are in the 500 dollar range on up that will work for me like the weatherby SA-459 turkey I can get in either the 12 or 20 gauge and the LOP is 13 3/8 but I am looking to spend over 500 bucks or more on the gun.

Yes I know there are plenty of gun manufactures out there that will cut the stock down for free if I order direct from them. But that doesn't help me if I want to get one out of my LGS.

Luckily I found a all around semi-auto shotgun, a weatherby SA-459 turkey which I will put on layaway or if things work out I will pay cash for it in about 30 days. I can use it for home defense or hunting and can shoot 2 3/4 or 3inch out of it with no problems because of the interchangeable gas valves.

But really I was wondering if a few of y'all experience the same thing when it comes to purchasing a shotgun.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Not for me really, the common LOP is fine, but did have some trouble finding a shorter one for my adult daughter last year. The old youth pump shotgun she grew up with was too small for her, and all mine a little too big for her. It took some searching online, but I finally found a "compact" model semi-auto with a shorter LOP, came with additional spacers too for under the recoil pad if needing to adjust any, but it did cost more than $500. It's a Winchester SX3 Field "Compact" model for smaller framed people/women etc. and she's happy with it. Browning also makes their Silver in a "micro-midas"(?) model that is basically the same, and a tad more expensive. Anyway, I agree and there must be demand for shotguns with a shorter LOP, because when I was searching had some difficulty finding any actually "in stock" from those companies that do make them.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Well, it's a lot easier to take a long stock and cut it shorter, than to take a short one and cut it longer. And it looks a lot better, too.

None of the companies wants to "stock" lumber in all the possible lengths, although if you wanted to order a shotgun direct from the company, many of the higher $ manufacturers would likely be willing to cut it to your specs.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The thing about lop in shotguns is that it's different than for rifles. In rifles we take aimed shots letting us wrap ourselves around the rifle. With a shotgun most shots are taken at moving game. All of the stock dimensions work together in a shotgun: lop, drop at comb and heel, and pitch. Change any one of those and it affects the others. That's why sometimes two different lops can feel good depending on the other variables.

Me, I like a slightly shorter stock than the rule would dictate because I want my guns to shoot a mite high. I like to float the bird. We used to cut stocks the thickness if a recoil pad, plus 1/8 to 1/4 inch depending on the original lop. That would get most of the pretty close to optimal bird gun!

Reactions: windy and mjadams61

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
The thing about lop in shotguns is that it's different than for rifles. In rifles we take aimed shots letting us wrap ourselves around the rifle. With a shotgun most shots are taken at moving game. All of the stock dimensions work together in a shotgun: lop, drop at comb and heel, and pitch. Change any one of those and it affects the others. That's why sometimes two different lops can feel good depending on the other variables.

Me, I like a slightly shorter stock than the rule would dictate because I want my guns to shoot a mite high. I like to float the bird. We used to cut stocks the thickness if a recoil pad, plus 1/8 to 1/4 inch depending on the original lop. That would get most of the pretty close to optimal bird gun!
You nailed it!

·
Super Moderator
5,577 Posts
I never understood the 14-14 1/2" LOP on sporting shot guns either, when rifles nearly always range at least an inch shorter. Seems to me that shot gunning (at least my dove hunting) requires some flexibility in all directions. I'm not a tall person, but do have fairly long arms .... but due to a bit of the "Arthur brothers" teaming up in both shoulders due to rotator cuff injuries in my younger years the flexibility just ain't there. For 8-10 years I went through at least a half dozen shotguns for dove hunting looking for a "fit", then about three years ago I sucked up my pride and surprisingly p[roved to myself a shorter LOP was a winner. My former "bird guns" ranged in the low end of the spectrum of $500-1000 guns, then one of my boy toy hangouts had a special on Mossberg 500 "Bantam" 20 ga guns and I took one home the month before dove season. It has a LOP of 12-1/2", mystery wood stock, tang safety, 22" vent ribbed-white bead barrel, comes with three choke tubes. Snap shots are a breeze, and it swings easily in any direction your body can turn. The past two dove seasons my kill ratio has been up by 30% .... might have been even better if we had the same volume of targets seen in pervious years. One of my other close buddies (lost him to cancer last July) that was a hard core/life long hunter, on his last trip with us carried an old 870 he had cut down for his son about 20 years ago. He also had limited mobility to deal with, and he had a blast snapping that short stock up on the fast low fliers. I'm considering finding a "replacement stock" to cut down for my favorite old Beretta AL-2 just to give it a try. For now, I'm still having a ball with the little Mossy Bantam. I guess I can qualify for a "Little Man Card" :)

JD

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I settle on a Tristar semi auto 20guage. It has the built in rail for the dove tail style scope rings if I decided to shoot slugs or do any turkey or mount a reddot on it. I can use benelli choke tubes in it and such and the LOP is 13 so it just perfect fit for me. Next weekend I will shoot it and it was about 200 less than the weatherby I was looking at in 20 guage.

tristar 001.JPG

·
Registered
849 Posts
friend arther has definitely got involved in my trap shootin'; my trap gun wuz a humpback a-5 12-bore, but all that equipment smashin' back into my tired old shoulder 75-100 times in an outing made me wake up when the tylenol wore off, about 4:30 in the a.m., with my shoulder afire. same with my old winnie 101 skeet! i'm tryin' to make a pawn-shop ithaca 20ga work for me, but it don't fit worth squat and the front end's so light it wiggles in a slight breeze! at least since i've been usin' it i get to sleep 'til 6:00--when t'other old age symptoms take effect. gittin' old ain't fer th' fainthearted, i guess.
mind yer topknots!
windy

·
Registered
377 Posts
I like a pump shotgun and I found the Browning Micro Midas has a perfect LOP. It shoulders nice and is an old reliable design. Heavy by todays standard, but I like it.
Ron.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts