Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Doesn't Savage have one/ I think so but don't know the model designation.

Gr8rtst.
https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/actions/target/

I think you are correct, savage did/does make target rifles, if memory serves it's a single shot . I was thinking more along the lines of the manufactures making a repeater geared toward hunting, varmint, etc. People don't care much for change unless it saves money, so the right bolt left port could be a huge flop in a repeater type hunting receiver.

·
Registered
20,161 Posts
Well, at least fishing reels have become 'ambi'. All of my new Mitchell spinning Reels can go left or right-handed; simply by reversing the handle, removing the cap from the opposite side of the reel, put the crank handle in and screw it on in the forward direction. Takes all of about 20 seconds - if you don't drop the cap.

Gr8rtst.

Reactions: rlm1

·
Registered
298 Posts
Grew up left handed and right footed, figure that one out. Anyway when I was 13 my buddy and I rode our bikes to the local driving range and in one summer I taught myself to golf righty because I could afford left handed clubs and rentals were getting expensive too. After that, I realized I didn’t really have a dominant eye so I learned to shoot right handed. 30 years later, it is natural to me, but I can revert back to left handed any time I want. Pretty sure I could outshoot myself left handed from a free handed position, even though I don’t practice it.
With the exception of a few skills, I have adapted to be fairly ambidextrous over the years.

I like the OP‘s test with the computer mouse, it is an awesome sight when people who never have to think about it get thrown a wrench like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can't write well right handed, but by default I think we have to learn to use our right hands a lot. What's even more interesting is I am stronger with my right hand. My left hand has better dexterity. I started laying right hand guitar but could never really get it. Then I switched to a left handed guitar. It made all the difference in the world.

I can shoot right handed, but certainly not comfortable. I can hit from either side of the plate though. And I prefer right handed scissors, but really that was learning to use them differently. I keep the scissors straight and manipulate the material with my left.

As far as shooting, I think bull pups are the main challenge unless they are downward ejecting. I've got a Remington 81 that needs a little work still. I've heard that it will eject them on top of my head.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've worked with a few left-handed chefs in my day and I don't know how they do it. But it works for them. One guy said (jokingly) that he used to prep right-handed but he tried prepping left-handed one day and said the food came out tasting better so he stuck with it. I think he was pulling my leg. (The left one, of course.) I've always been a righty but in HS could contact hit with pretty good placement from the left side.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I was born left handed. Only one in the family for many generations back that was left handed. When my uncle was teaching all of us kids to shoot he insisted that I learn to shoot off of both sides.
I got the handgun part down with no problem, but I still prefer to shoot long gun off the left side.
I have a safe full of right side bolt guns. Doesn't bother me a bit to turn that mother sideways and crank the bolt straight up and down. Having said that, I also have a safe full of levers, all Marlins thank you very much. I have owned a few lefty guns, but usually trade them off to someone who wants it more than me.
Learning the M14 was fun, in a foxhole the brass goes right up the left inside of your shirt collar! That brass is HOT!!
kingstrider is right. There are no cheap lefty baseball mits. And my first guitar instructor taught me to be right handed. I will always that him for that!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts