Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
My dad says he knew I was a lefty at 3 months old; he was not wrong. The only reason I can do anything with my right hand is due to running my left hand into a tablesaw in my early thirties. That forced me to learn a few things righty. My 5 month old is already looking kinda lefty...

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
My dad says he knew I was a lefty at 3 months old; he was not wrong. The only reason I can do anything with my right hand is due to running my left hand into a tablesaw in my early thirties. That forced me to learn a few things righty. My 5 month old is already looking kinda lefty...
Ouch!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Ambidextrous for the most part, left hand mainly for writing now. Throw left, could bat left or right, shoot right with a rifle, can shoot a pistol right or left, prefer right. Right eye dominate, but have trained myself to use both eyes wide open for sight aim,that took a lot of years to get the hang of.
Also had a first grade teacher that was dead set against lefties, I would switch hands writing when I knew she was looking, drove her nuts! Lots of interesting lefty traits we all share.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What a coincidence! ... It was a nun that swatted the back of my hand.

That gal I knew said that if the nuns caught her writing left handed they would tape her left hand up and make her write "I will learn to write right handed" on the chalk board 100x's using her right hand.

I went to public schools and they didn't care either way.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Please do ... when I was shown how to tie my shoes ... Ma was right handed and I was tying them left handed, it was ... taxing. Same thing when I learned how to weld the instructors were all right handed ... I had to adapt to that.

I trust you will let a right handed person contribute to this thread. My Mother was a true lefty, but only played golf right handed, and very well, I might add. She taught me to tie my shoes her way and I still do at 69. Never had a problem, but when right handed folks ever see me tie them they can not figure out how I do it. I still do not understand what I do differently!

·
Registered
68 Posts
TODAY IS LEFTY DAY???? My dad was a southpaw, and 1 of my sisters, as well as me. I started out in public school and bounced around a little, so by the time I got in front of some nuns it was too late for them to change me. Of course, the toughest thing for my parents was finding me lefty ball gloves, fishing reels, etc. in the early 60s. Later on, things got easier. I still have trouble with certain types of pens (gel tips for example) due to the potential to smear.

It was funny, I was in a tiny Greek restaurant in Albuquerque with my youngest sister for lunch one afternoon (20 MAX in the dining room) I looked around and 5 of us were left-handed. We had them surrounded!! :-D Only one of my 4 children has even some left-handed capability. My youngest son shoots lefty and is anxiously awaiting the handoff of my lefty bolt gun... I told him he could have it when he pried it from my cold dead fingers... :p I am waiting to see if any of the grandchildren carry the torch. We shall see... :)

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I do everything on my right side EXCEPT kick or throw a ball and SHOOT. I have gotten used to shell casings flying past my face (semi-autos and pumps) but anything except a tang safety is a REAL pain. I only own 2 truly "lefty" guns - a flintlock I built from scratch and a left-handed bolt .270. Because I shoot left-handed I love my Marlins and for bird hunting my 2 Browning Citoris.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Another lefty here, I do everything except write (school changed that) and shoot a handgun. Everything else "A Lefty".
I think that the nuns in school may have contributed to some of my arthritis in my left hand.

I can do most everything right handed but I find I do it better left handed. I use scissors right handed and always have, my one sister insists on using left-handed scissors but I do not consider her a true left handed person. I have a Browning T-bolt left handed, all the rifles I make are left handed. I never tried a left handed mouse because there is no point in my mind. I find that I cock the right barrel on my SxS cap locks more often than the left side but that may be due more to my big hands than anything. My long time hunting companion my brother Bob is right handed, it always worked out great as he walked on my left side, I on his right.

I believe that true southpaws can do more with either hand than the right handed person due to having to overcome this MINOR inconvenience all our lives. There some things that just do not make sense to do left handed.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I'm opposite. I am right handed, but left eye dominate. So, I had to learn how to shoot left handed (only for scoped rifles.)
But, I shoot handguns with either hand because I learned how to shoot with both eyes open.

·
Registered
19,932 Posts
Vortex #4.

Just put this on my recently acquired CZ 452 LH .22LR. A Vortex 4-12 x 44mm Copperhead rifle scope. The sale price was right - $129. My eyes just aren't what they used to be, so higher magnification helps me out.

It has the Dead-Hold BDC technology and can be reset for zero. The quality of Vortex optics, coupled with their reasonable pricing, is a winning combination for me.

I had originally put my Nikon 3-9 x 40mm P-223 on the CZ after switching it out from my STAG AR, but I had planned to go Vortex anyway when I had the dough, and here it is. This is my fourth Vortex scope, (VIP lifetime warranty). I have a Viper, A Crossfire II and a Strikefire II Red Dot.

I like the Nikon P-223 well enough, and that is what I shot this group with but I can't wait to see how the Vortex will pan out with 12X magnification.

Gr8rtst.

Attachments

Reactions: Steven M.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I'm opposite. I am right-handed, but left eye dominate. So, I had to learn how to shoot left-handed (only for scoped rifles.)
But, I shoot handguns with either hand because I learned how to shoot with both eyes open.
​Me too.

Reactions: Gr8rtst

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I'm also left eye dominate, and shot for years right handed crawling over the top of the stock to get a sight picture.... that really messed me up good, so now I shoot right eye, left eye closed, right handed, but can shoot left handed decent. I'm a complete mess LOL batting I place my right hand under my left and bat right handed and use the right for most of the power swing, aiming with left if that makes sense. I used to could function decent left or right handed, but preferred right for any strength or speed etc...my uncle caught my problem several years after I began shooting 22lr when he couldn't hot the back side of a barn with my rifle.

I use right handed rifles, and prefer them, but wanted to tell yall left eye dominate fellors about something that works great.... right bolt left port, I really like this setup... BUT they are all custom read expensive actions, I would have thought the industry would have jumped on this by now.

·
Registered
19,932 Posts
I'm also left eye dominate, and shot for years right handed crawling over the top of the stock to get a sight picture.... that really messed me up good, so now I shoot right eye, left eye closed, right handed, but can shoot left handed decent. I'm a complete mess LOL batting I place my right hand under my left and bat right handed and use the right for most of the power swing, aiming with left if that makes sense. I used to could function decent left or right handed, but preferred right for any strength or speed etc...my uncle caught my problem several years after I began shooting 22lr when he couldn't hot the back side of a barn with my rifle.

I use right handed rifles, and prefer them, but wanted to tell yall left eye dominate fellors about something that works great.... right bolt left port, I really like this setup... BUT they are all custom read expensive actions, I would have thought the industry would have jumped on this by now.
Doesn't Savage have one/ I think so but don't know the model designation.

Gr8rtst.

Reactions: rclint

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm left handed. Only one in my family. My dad taught me to fish and hunt. So I shoot most rifles right handed, but I can shoot my 22 left handed if necessary, out the truck window.
Fly fish left handed, normal rod - right handed.
Can't use left handed scissors.
plain wierd.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts