Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been left handed from day one. Did everything that way. As I progressed in life ... more and more I had to adapt to the right handed world we all live in. So, I've evolved into ambidextrous. Today ... I can use either hand. Write ... twist a wrench ... shoot ... use a computer mouse ... baseball bat, pretty much anything. One day, at work, I set the common computer mouse up for left hand operation, to see what would happen if right handers were confronted with what I had to deal with. Damn it was funny!

It short circuited their brains so bad, they couldn't use it. Within 15 minutes I had to switch it back. So ... how many of us have adapted to the right handed world?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Cross dominate here, Left handed but Right eye dominate, Shooting rifles is easy, handgun shooting was harder.

·
Super Moderator
9,269 Posts
Been left handed since I quit sucking my thumb. Soon after the ambidextrous solution came into play. I have definite skill differences with either right or left hand with many tasks but can do almost anything with either hand. Throwing a ball is a right handed task only. Left handed I throw worse than a three year old girl. Unless it would be tossing a lit stick of dynamite back handed. Batting both sides of the plate came in handy when a pitcher needed some attitude adjustment.

The only ambidextrous thing I haven't tried is driving a right hand drive vehicle with stick shift. That would take some concentration.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That gave me some trouble, until I started using the 'two handed' grip styles. Then switching back and forth was easier. After that 'point shooting' ... helped a lot.
Cross dominate here, Left handed but Right eye dominate, Shooting rifles is easy, handgun shooting was harder.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That gave me some trouble, until I started using the 'two handed' grip styles. Then switching back and forth was easier. After that 'point shooting' ... helped a lot.
Ive adopted the modified weaver stance and that helped give me a good starting point. long term focusing on the front sight im still training myself to do. I do alot of things right handed so teaching myself to shoot with either hand manning the trigger cant be a bad thing.

·
Super Moderator
9,269 Posts
With rifles I just close the other eye since I usually close one eye shooting long guns. With pistols, it doesn't seem to matter. I would have to check to see how I am doing it but I will bet I am using the left eye with left hand and vice versa. Unless it is very close then I use the finger point method of aiming. But I would be using my left hand with a pistol only if my right was incapacitated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am left handed almost all the way... I shoot, throw, catch, bat, write, fish, golf, (well sort of golf) lefty. I can manage to brush my teeth and use my mouse with my right hand, but definitely not shave, and that's about all.

Luckily, though I am as nearsighted as they come, I am left eye dominate. According to the statistics, we have shorter lifespans due to the fact that we have to put up with all the stupid righty rules... :p Ho well... :-D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Rifles never gave me a lot of trouble ... might be because I had something to steady my head on? Rear sight closer to the eye? Not sure. My first rifle was a front loader ... hammer is on the right side ... maybe that is what got me started.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Born left handed. I guess I've just learned to adapt. Whoever taught me how to bat when I was a kid apparently never asked and I both bat and golf right handed. I've never been able to shot a right handed rifle so my hunting guns that are bolt action are left handed Ruger77s. Pistols are no problem and I really don't have an off hand. I've always used a mouse with my right hand and have no idea what it would be like to use one left handed.
BTW: I've always wondered about Sam Colt and the Colt SAA? It's a lot easier to load for a left hander than a right handed person.
Jim

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I'm left handed at everything I do except shooting.

Never had a difficult time with it except when using right handed scissors, makes my thumb sore and get a blister if I use them long enough.

I've gotten used to using a computer mouse either way.

It's always felt more natural to shoot right handed because of a dominant right eye, been that way since I got my first BB gun as a kid. Doesn't work too well in archery which is why I gave up on that many years ago.

Reactions: moofy07

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Another lefty here, I do everything except write (school changed that) and shoot a handgun. Everything else "A Lefty".

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've noticed that and never thought anything of it ... until you mentioned it.

Born left handed. I guess I've just learned to adapt. Whoever taught me how to bat when I was a kid apparently never asked and I both bat and golf right handed. I've never been able to shot a right handed rifle so my hunting guns that are bolt action are left handed Ruger77s. Pistols are no problem and I really don't have an off hand. I've always used a mouse with my right hand and have no idea what it would be like to use one left handed.
BTW: I've always wondered about Sam Colt and the Colt SAA? It's a lot easier to load for a left hander than a right handed person.
Jim
They did try ... When I was in grade school, they tried to make me use my right hand ... didn't work. Turned out there was a reason for that. Before my time ... schools used to teach writing with a 'Dip Pen' (HERE - for those that don't know) This cannot be done left handed, because:

1. You have to 'drag' a Fountain/Dip pen. Pushing it won't work.
  2. You drag the side of your hand trough the wet ink.
The advent of ball point pens put a stop to that - 'No. 1' anyway. So ... I had a lot of 'old school teachers' that just didn't get it. I can use a fountain pen ... just position the paper differently. My writing right hand is worse than my left hand .. they're bot legible though. Don't matter with Morse code ... I don't text.

Another lefty here, I do everything except write (school changed that) and shoot a handgun. Everything else "A Lefty".

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I've noticed that and never thought anything of it ... until you mentioned it.

They did try ... When I was in grade school, they tried to make me use my right hand ... didn't work. Turned out there was a reason for that. Before my time ... schools used to teach writing with a 'Dip Pen' (HERE - for those that don't know) This cannot be done left handed, because:

1. You have to 'drag' a Fountain/Dip pen. Pushing it won't work.
  2. You drag the side of your hand trough the wet ink.
The advent of ball point pens put a stop to that - 'No. 1' anyway. So ... I had a lot of 'old school teachers' that just didn't get it. I can use a fountain pen ... just position the paper differently. My writing right hand is worse than my left hand .. they're bot legible though. Don't matter with Morse code ... I don't text.

Knew a gal they tried to force that on. Now she can't write worth a dang with either hand.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I can't write with my right hand, and rifle shooting is a bit tough, but most other things I've adapted and become ambidextrous with. Now, as far as loading leverguns goes, I find it very easy to top off the tube with my right hand while holding the rifle with my left. The same applies with loading pump shotguns directly into the chamber, releasing 1911 slide stops with my trigger finger, hitting an AR-15 bolt release with same...I swear that some things just work better ergonomically for southpaws.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Rifles never gave me a lot of trouble ... might be because I had something to steady my head on? Rear sight closer to the eye? Not sure. My first rifle was a front loader ... hammer is on the right side ... maybe that is what got me started.
Right eye dominate?

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I understand ... at one school I went too (we moved lot) the teacher would 'swat' my hand with a ruler. That got me sent home a few times.
That gal I knew said that if the nuns caught her writing left handed they would tape her left hand up and make her write "I will learn to write right handed" on the chalk board 100x's using her right hand.

I went to public schools and they didn't care either way.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I trust you will let a right handed person contribute to this thread. My Mother was a true lefty, but only played golf right handed, and very well, I might add. She taught me to tie my shoes her way and I still do at 69. Never had a problem, but when right handed folks ever see me tie them they can not figure out how I do it. I still do not understand what I do differently!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts