Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with these? I know they arent the best in quality but they are attractive in price. I also know that I'd probably like the use of a more expensive unit better than the Lee...however, it's the price I'm looking at. Further down the road maybe a better one?

Does the Lee Turret Press work alright for the big bore cartridges? What are your thoughts on this unit?

Perferator

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've got one of these and it works fine. Not the greatest press around, but it will turn out a decent round. I use mine to load: .45ACP, .41 Rem Mag, .32 H&R Mag, and .223. I keep extra turrets for each caliber and they are pre-adjusted, so the swap over is really easy and fast. I just move the powder measure from turret to turret.

Recently loaded 600 rounds of .45ACP in an afternoon without any problems at all. I do use mine in the manual indexing mode instead of automatic. I also prime all of my brass with a Lee Auto-prime, as I feel most comfortable that way and it does not matter if I am using the RCBS Rock Chucker or the Lee Loadmaster.

I would recommend going with the 4-hole vice 3-hole turret press, too.

I believe it is a good value for the money, especially for someone on a tight budget.
Regards,
Rich

P.S. You can often times get a "second" from Lee for a great price. They are fully warranted and meet specs. Only prob is a slight problem with the finish on the press. I got a super deal on my Lee Loadmaster several years ago that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I say go for it they are resonably fast, inexpensive, easy to change calibres and have excellent quality. If you think If like mine you're right! I have three Dillions set up but use the Lee about half the time to load my cowboy black powder rounds.

Hillbilly Jim

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the good word, guys. I'm going with the 4hole so the FCD can be mounted.

Where do you get the "seconds"? Did you contact the Lee website or call?

Cant wait to start loading. Been using a friends garage and it eats into my schedule whenever I do that. Just want to relax in my own home, step out the door to shoot.....maybe I can get my wife to reload. Maybe some of those older frontier fighting movies will help :lol:

Perferator

·
Registered
189 Posts
Perferator,

My brother and I both have used a 3 hole turret presses for up to 25 years. He loads a lot of pistol rounds. I load 270 Win. and 8x57 Mauser. The only problem either of us have had was the compound lever action broke on his after about 20 years - He bought another part from Lee and was back in business in two weeks. Think you will like this press.

G

·
HI to all -

I'm new to this forum but've been gunnuttin'/reloading/casting -(POTTSY - SEE BELOW)- for 4x years.
Had several presses over the years, use the Lee Turret almost exclusively now. Only "problem" has been w/.375H&H bullet seating - have to "feed" round into position by hand 'cause of length.
If I loaded enuff of 'em to make it worthwhile, it'd be plenty simple to raise the turret a little for full-length Mags of any sort.
I have a three-holer - 4'd be better - wouldn't need to use a seperate press for Lee Factory Crimp die.

Pottsy - see you evangelizin' all over the place about swaging - trade me a swager for a few of my "don't-own-the-gun-anymore" moulds & I'll take to the "straight and narrow" road with you!!
Praise the Corbin & pass the lead cores! :D

regards,

·
Registered
38 Posts
OOOOOOPPPPPS!!!
Thought I'd logged in on that "Guest" thingy.

Is my face red!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi pottsy - :D

I cast several calibers, but the only thing I'd be interested in swaging for are my .45-70's.

With either of the basic die sets your talking about, can you swage diff. weight bullets w/one die set?
Heavier than 500 gr bullets?
Smooth-sided or w/lube grooves?
Different base/nose contours?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've never really looked into it before.

Thanks.

regards,

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
If you use a Lee Factory Crimp Die you would not need to cannelure your jacketed bullets. If your bullet moulds already provide lube grooves you wouldn't need the grooving tool either. If you use moulds for gas checked bullets you don't need to manipulate the bullet base with a tool. If one casts bullets, they only need to cast, size, lube, and if necessary or desired check, not buy a bunch of swaging equipment they don't need.

Pottsy, how about we see some pictures of the jacketed bullets YOU made?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all -

jackfish -
I do use the Lee FCD, cast grooved bullets, w/wo gc.
I cast, size, lube, seat gc's.
Just can't make smooth bullets for pp'ing.
Can pp grooved bullets, and have, but they must be sized to bore diam. first - mebbe not good for accuracy.
Moulds for pp are available for ~$80, but for the cost of 2 for diff. wt. bullets, sounds like I can get a swage setup that'll give me any wt. I want.
Pretty good deal, sounds to me. :D

pottsy -
Couldn't get the 1st link to connect.
Richard shows a press/die that runs ~$350.
C&H 101 looks good @ $114, but appears to be intended for pistol bullets. Says adj. for "infinite" weight range, but I'm a LITTLE sceptical of that! Not to mention I'd have to use up everybody's lead supply for the first bullet!:D
Also says for jktd. & I don't know enough about swaging to know if it'll do unjktd. also.
Have an e-mail off to 'em for more info.
What's the story on the $150 die set you mentioned?
That's interesting to me.

Thanks.

regards,

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, I thought this thread was about Lee Turret presses??

HIJACK! HIJACK!

Perferator

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi perferator -

Mea culpa!

When my #2 son discovered the charm of saving money by reloading, of the several presses I have on hand, I gave him an older 3-holer I bought used for $10 (including a turret), 'cause I think it's the best thing going.
I'd buy a couple more @ that price! As simple as it is to change to another cartridge, it was even simpler to reach over to another press!
Price/quality/service-wise, unless you have special needs (bullet swaging, f'rinstance :D), I don't think you'd ever regret the choice.

Factory seconds are available by contacting Lee Precision - selection varies from time to time, so ck for current listing.
I also appreciate that those good folks will GIVE you stuff to start a youngster into reloading - at least, they used to have such an offer - hope dishonorable people haven't ruined it.

BTW, there is a conversion kit available for the 3-h to 4-h.

regards,

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curmudgeon, thanx for the tip on the seconds. I'm ordering the press kit next monday so maybe a deal will pop up somewhere beforehand. Boses guns has the best deal on the 4-holer kit. I'll get the other acc's from Midway since they are the better deal and availability.

Cant wait to pull the lever....then the trigger.

Perferator

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi perferator -

Happy turret-pressing.
Don't forget the Factory Crimp Die - a GREAT use for $10!:D

Best o' luck to ya!

regards,

·
Registered
1,353 Posts