Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to ask in the lee dies set RGB seem there is no roll crimp in the bullet seating die?
do you need to use a crimp die on the 30-30 ?

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I would double check as most Lee seating dies have a roll crimp. If not you would need to get a crimping die. 30-30 Lever needs one or the bullets may stovepipe in the magazine. I have a set of Lee dies for my 32-20 that roll crimp.

DEP

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
flintforever - I would say it depends on what type bullets you plan on using. I used Lee dies for my 30-30 for many years without an apparent crimp needed. I then started casting and using lead bullets and found I could make a couple of changes to improve my loads. I ordered a decapping rod with expander ball for the 303 British Enfield. It has a larger expander ball which made it easier to seat lead bullets without shaving the bullet sides in the seating process. This ball was too large if you used metal jacket bullets, so keep the original rod and ball for that purpose. The original expander will allow enough tension to keep the jacketed bullets from moving during normal recoil. I solved the problem by buying a set of RCBS Cowboy dies that has a crimp shoulder for use with lead bullets. They also have a larger expander ball. Most metal bullets designed for 30-30 have a knurled ring around them at proper seating depth and by seating to the middle of this ring I have not found a need for a crimp die for thses metal jacketed bullets. Lead, I crimp. Hope this makes sense. Good luck. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
From the Lee rifle bullet seating die instructions:

"Screw the bullet seating die in until you feel it
touch the case mouth. If no crimp is desired,

back the die out 1/2 turn. If a crimp is desired,
turn the die in 1/4 turn. The bullet must have a
crimping groove or it cannot be crimped. Case
must be trimmed to same length to provide a
uniform crimp."

Lee dies do have a taper crimp
. That said, I've never used it. I, on advice of many more experienced loaders here, have always the Lee Factory Crimp die (included with the Pacesteer set for only a little more) and they were right.

Reactions: GaCop

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
The old pros better check the current offerings from Lee on their website. I believe one of our experienced brethren started a thread about this a couple months ago. Lee has ceased providing dies with the roll crimp feature. Many die sets are not available with a crimp die but if so, only the FCD.

·
Premium Member
1,978 Posts
So I see - buried on the .30/30 RGB page. A prior rifle die page still says the bullet seater has a roll crimp and the die instructions still read as I quoted above. Good to know. The FCD is still the best solution in my opinion. I find the roll crimp a good tool for buckling cases.

Reactions: GaCop

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Ditto zuiko. Perfectly trimmed cases work for me with a roll crimp but I'm not that particular with target rounds hence the FCD is pretty popular on my bench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts