Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a lee loader off fleabay that is old and it says for pistol calibers and straight wall rifle cartridges. I had never heard of such a thing. Does anyone here have experience with this lee loader? Fom

·
Registered
539 Posts
If it is the $25 dollar Lee Classic Loader then it is caliber specific.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
How about a picture. If it the Lee loader then it is for a specific caliber. Did you think you was buying a press?

T ??? NY

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt it cost $25. This is a very old black and red box and the instructions do not mention a caliber. It only says for pistol and straight wall rifle cartridges. I think it must be missing a part of the box label because there is no way you could size all pistol calibers with one tool. Fom

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
The red and black box is the old Lee Loader that you use a mallet with and they were caliber specific. I started reloading at 14 with one. Think I paid about $12 for it back in the day. Should be a label at one end of the box stating the caliber along with some load data in the box.

They are also available for bottle necked cartridges which they only neck size. Lee still makes them but the red and black cardboard box is long gone...

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Lee-Loader-Rifle/

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Lee-Loader-Pistol/

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Upon closer inspection I found the price. New it sold for $9.95. I also found the loading info you mentioned. It was on the inside bottom of the box underneath the styrofoam insert. It just happens to be the caliber I want to reload,.38/.357. Thanks for the responses. Fom

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If it was $9.95 new chances are some of the powders listed in the data have changed or are obsolete. If you don't have one, get yourself powder scale and a reloading manual. The data that comes with the kit is very limited and the powder dippers are a one size fits all sort of deal, but you probably already knew all that. Have fun!

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
The caliber should also be stamped on the individual dies.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The caliber will be stamped around the midsection of the die where it isn't knurled.
DO NOT USE A METAL HAMMER! The die will damaged! Use a leather, plastic or wooden mallet to drive the case in and out.
Follow the instructions exactly and wear safety glasses. Primers can pop.
Identify each of the parts, particularly the rods. The rods are different diameters and can jam in the case if they are mixed up.
After you have resized the first case, take it, and test to see if it will chamber in your gun. If you have a revolver, test all of the chambers. Some brass, fired in a large chamber may not be resized enough by the Lee die (or other dies).
Don't buy a lot of components at first, 100 lead bullets, 100 primers, a can of powder, and some fired brass to start with until you get a feel for reloading.
I suggest your first powder be 'Trail Boss'. It is very forgiving of mistakes. It is nearly impossible to overcharge a pistol case with it.
Be careful, some years ago Lee changed the size/calibration of their dippers. They changed from cubic inches to cubic centimeters. Make sure your dipper matches your loading chart. You would be better served in buying a set of new Lee dippers that are sized for modern powders.
Have fun, be safe!
M.

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been reloading for a while but this is my first Lee loader. The powder dipper has a cup on both ends of the cup. One for 20cc and I forget the other. I already have molds, bullets, brass, and powder. All I shoot in pistols is Unique. I'm sure I will jump when I pop my first primer but I intend to experience it anyway. Thanks for the responses. Fom

·
Registered
882 Posts
Unique is an excellent choice, but care must be given to avoid double charges. The loading sequence of the Lee loader does not lend itself to easy inspection of the powder charge.
The dipper you have doesn't sound like a Lee, it may be homemade. The Lee's are one piece plastic with a charge cup at one end. The old ones are black and the new ones are yellow.
FYI 20cc of Unique would be about 184g.
Usable dippers would be: 0.7cc = 6.4g Unique
0.5cc = 4.6g Unique
0.3cc = 2.7g Unique
M.
This is a .243 Lee loader I sold on EBAY recently for $15 + $5.50 shipping. It has the old style black plastic dipper at the top left of the box.

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dipper is red and says 020 on one side which corresponds to the load sheet. It mentions using the bottom side of the dipper for bullseye powder. I'll try to get some pics. Fom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts