Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here ordered the Lee factory crimp die for the 308 Marlin Express ? I am curious how long it took them to make it and to send it to you. I know that you have to send them a bullet seated in an empty case. Its really a shame that there has not been a group buy for that.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I ordered one for the 338 ME and it took about 2 weeks. Not long at all.

·
Super Moderator
12,290 Posts
Hey Ricochet if you want to honcho a group buy, I'd be interested in one as well.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just curios but why Lee? I have The Hornady Die set and it works great! in fact I like them better than RCBS because there locking ring is a more stable design. Dennis

·
Registered
122 Posts
I love my Lee FCD - IMO Lee doesn't charge enough for these things. I couldn't recommend them enough. I have a FCD for 308MX and 45/70 trimmed for Hornady 325 FTX.

took about 2 months for mine to arrive in Canada.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
kingstrider said:
Hey Ricochet if you want to honcho a group buy, I'd be interested in one as well.
I'd be in for one as well Ricochet! :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dennis, I don't know that the factory crimp die would be something that you have to have but it does do a more factory type crimp on the case. It is a more firm crimp. The trim length of the case is not nearly as critical. There is an increase in pressure that makes for a more uniform pressure curve and less velocity variation (according to Lee). All I can tell you is that in a 30-30 Winchester it makes it more accurate. It something that really should be used for tube fed rifles and for handguns.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Ranch Dog. I appreciate the info. Good to know !! I reckon that I was just hoping that a group buy would bring the price down a bit. The regular factory crimp dies are like $15.00 each , but the custom made ones such as the 308 Marlin Express are $25.00 each with a $5.00 processing fee which makes them twice what you can buy one for online at various dealers.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Ricochet said:
Thanks Ranch Dog. I appreciate the info. Good to know !! I reckon that I was just hoping that a group buy would bring the price down a bit. The regular factory crimp dies are like $15.00 each , but the custom made ones such as the 308 Marlin Express are $25.00 each with a $5.00 processing fee which makes them twice what you can buy one for online at various dealers.
Yeah. You must buy 100 of them to qualify for the dealer discount and then you they will still cost you more than what the online dealers are charging. Places like MidwayUSA buy a minimum of 1K.

I'm working on adding the FCD for the 308 & 338 Marlin Express plus rifle type FCDs, not carbide FCDs, for the 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt (1894 cartrtidges). That right there is a $15K investment so it must wait until I have all my bullet mold designs on the shelf. I might add Lee die sets, case trimmers, etc. for the ME cartriges and that will run it up to $25K ::)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I was wondering if I could ask of you all that got a FCD whether it be for the 308 or 338..to do a little before and after testing ...just to compare group size ..velocity consistancy etc. just to see how much improvement may or may not come from using the FCD....sorry guys...I get bored and my mind starts thinking up this stuff ...Its been the longest and nastiest winter I've ever experienced because of being under the weather

1 - 13 of 13 Posts