Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,360 Posts
I've never had an issue with the .45-70 FCD resizing bullets, and I use a lot of .460" bullets in mine.

I have noticed that the area crimped is larger than a roll crimp, due to the die squeezing the brass rather than rolling the end. I also have noticed the OAL shortening slightly with a heavier crimp, using the FCD. It is consistent, and if accuracy is suffering, it's not too bad as the loads shoot well, indeed.

But, nonetheless, I do have in my grubby little hands, one Redding Profile Crimp die. And, if early indications hold out, it may be the better of the two dies for crimping in the small grooves provided with the bullet I use. I just don't really know, yet. I haven't loaded and shot enough rounds to conclude, but so far, pretty good.

The Lee is a great die for Jacketed, but I'm more concerned with cast in .45-70.

I'm with Tedak on the shorter OAL. If it's working, I'd use it.

· Registered
1,360 Posts
What I like about it is that, due to it being a true roll crimp, it does not "involve" so much of the case in the crimp. The Lee die uses a collet to sqeeze the case in, and this area is larger than the area provided for the crimp on the bullet I use, so it simply seats the bullet further in the case as it compresses the brass.

Whereas the Profile crimp rolls the end of the case in, and, if adjusted correctly and the bullet seated properly, simply fills the crimp groove.

mtm, I've not noticed any degradation of accuracy with the slightly deeper setting. I don't want to speak too soon, but I will say that the loads using the PCD are on par with the loads using the FCD, but I was wanting more samples, if just for statistical confidence.

I do like the looks of the PCD better when loading the cast bullets I use. The FCD can be used to either fill the cannelure provided on jacketed or crimp a bullet where there is no cannelure, or if the cannelure is in the wrong spot to provide the proper OAL for the Marlin. This is something the PCD can't do. You also have to have cases of the same length with the PCD, the FCD is more forgiving of brass length, to a degree.

But, all in all, my feelings are that the PCD is a better choice for cast, FCD for jacketed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.