Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a long, cold, snow winter and I decide it was time I learn to reload. Read several manuals cover to cover and watched so many Youtube videos on the subject I'm surprised I didn't get a visit from ATF. Most of my test loads seem to go together fine but I'm having issues with my 45-70 loads. Cases were prepped sized, primed and charged. I'm loading LaserCast 405gr and seating to 2.53" OAL which is just at the middle of the cannalure. That is the recommended OAL in the Oregon Trail Bullet Company manual. However, when I use the Lee Factory Crimp die it pushes the bullet down another .02" giving me an OAL of 2.51". I've tried resetting the die, seating the bullet a little shallower but nothing I do seems to matter. I took the FCD out of the press and bullets pass through without issue. I'm at a loss. Any of you seasoned professionals have any advise?

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I used a LFCD to load some 30-30 using cast and some .357 and 38 special using both cast and jacketed. Just having issues with the 45-70. Guess I'll try crimping with the bullet seating die and see if that's an option.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As stated I'm just starting out in this reloading adventure. Does the shorter OAL effect accuracy? Don't know yet as I'm just building test loads. If all goes as planned I'll be out at the range tomorrow and find out. I do think have use a slightly aggressive crimp. Getting the hang of things has been a trial and error experience. I guess we'll see where we go from here.

Vic, I did look at the Redding Profile Crimp die and it looked very interesting. Let us know how it works for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.