·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this might get this forum kick started again!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Oh, I totally agree.....Lee is the best!

(here comes the flood of RC...BS!)

Perferator

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I think the new cast iron press from Lee will be great, the aluminum ones just will not keep the jon boat in the middle of the creek :lol: HYDE

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I own a Lee press, a RCBS press and a Hornady ProJector. The Lee press is a hunk. I use it to crimp my rifle rounds or knock out primers. The Hornady press loads pistol rounds very well, it stinks at rifle rounds. The RCBS is my choice for rifle rounds. I had a Lee perfect powder measure. I sold it to some poor sap on eBay. I have a Hornady powder measure now. I swear by Lee Taper Crimp and Lee Factory Crimp dies. The rest of the bench has Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Midway, Hornady and probably 10 other brands of equipment to get the job done.

It's all good (depending on what you are using it for) and bad (depending on what you are using it for) and it can all be improved (somehow, I'm sure.)

I guess it's sort of the .41 vs .44 controversy, or
9mm vs 45, or
S&W vs Ruger, or
scope vs iron, or
(insert your choice here...)

:roll:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HEY!!! I think I bought that perfect powder measure!!! I knew all we needed was some controversy to get everyone talking again.

Bu the way straight wall cases will outperform bottle neck cases everytime.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
hyde said:
I think the new cast iron press from Lee will be great, the aluminum ones just will not keep the jon boat in the middle of the creek :lol: HYDE

You shoot the new Jon Boat cartridge? Where do I buy the components?

Perferator

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm a greenhorn in the reloading game. Just started last October. I'd practiced on a friend's (he coached me) RCBS master kit. Great stuff.

I wanted a turret press because I saw the trouble he went through to get me set up for the 45-70. So I bought the Lee 4hole Turret Press Kit. Dang, is it nice. Instead of doing 40rds at a time with one step in mind I can now do each round from start to finish by spinning the turret to the die to be used. This has prevented me from double loading or the embarrassing "no load" :lol:

Hey, if the Lee doesnt hold up then I can always upgrade to a "real" press like RC...BS :lol:

Perferator

·
Registered
264 Posts
I like Charlie98's post. A little mongrel reloading is good. I have some Lee, Reading, & RCBS equipment / tools. Also using an old C&H press that kicks out some great consistant loads. I am considering another press for decapping/fullsizing because man is it a pain to chase spent primers.

·
Registered
957 Posts
All depends on what you are doing. It's a rare experienced reloader who has only one press. I have a Rockchucker for the heavy work, a Lee turret for rapid die changes and loading pistol, and a cheapie Lee C press for portabilityand the lightest jobs. Using the Rockchucker to size bullets or bell cases or to prime on would be like cracking pecans with a sledgehammer.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Truth is always stranger than fiction...

I kept breaking my RCBS decapper pins on my .45 cases and ran out of replacements. I went and swiped my brother's Hornady sizer/decapper, had the RCBS case mouth die and bullet seat and finished it with the Lee taper crimp die.

I think that is called field expedience...

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you look at my bench, you'll see red, green, and blue. A Lee PRO 1000, ,an RCBS Partner, a Dillon SDB, and a Mec Jr. Look in my die drawers and you'll see RCBS, LEE, Hornady. I just use what works best for me. they all make good stuff and they all make some stinkers. You just find what works best for your situation and use it..........Buck 8) :roll: :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use Redding all the way. Like others said, there is a lot of good equipment out there that will get the job done. I just chose Redding.

firstshot

·
Registered
37 Posts
For what it is worth, we use Lee, Lyman, Hornady, some RCBS equipment, some Forester

There are many good products out now it really is silly to argue in general for or against a particular brand.

If you are getting the results you want ...that's your tool

Just like powders...I thinkit is best that one try more than one specific brand. We use three brands...each for a specific application.

Brand loyality is earned not imposed.

Happy 4th

Bojon

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think the only thing that could beat the Rockchucker is a Dillon press.....That I don't have ...........YET!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lee is best...

I have been using LEE reloading gear for years. No complaints and the price is right. I have a Lee Loader in .30-30 and it loads with the best. There is something about using a plastic mallet to load catridges that takes me back to what it was like in my dad's days. Wish I could find a Lee Loader in .35 rem for my Marlin. Long winters here in the great white north allow for slower reloading procedures and tools. Must say that I have Lee Loadalls in 12, 16 and 20 gauges also. Quality components in these tools produce quality cartridges. (even 12 ga Steel) I f anyone knows where an old Canadian boy can find a .35 REM Lee Loader let me know.

Darryl, from up north. Hows it goin' eh?

·
Registered
315 Posts
A vote for the 4 hole Lee Turret press. Nothing like just swapping out a head to change to another cartridge! And for price, Lee has everybody beat , hands down.
Cheers all,
R*2

1 - 20 of 22 Posts