Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a question about the dipper and weighing charges. I'm working on a trap door 45-70 load. My Lee manual lists a load @ 27 gr IMR4198 dipper 1.9.

Now when I weigh out the dipper it comes up shy of 27 gr. In fact it comes up at anywhere from 25.3 - 26.3 averaging 25.78 over 10 dips.

So my question is: Can I just use the dipper and safely stay below the 27 gr charge or should I weigh the charges and forego the dipper?

Thanks,

HA

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a coffee cup that I pour the powder into rather than keeping an entire can open. I then dip into the powder and come up with a dipper full. I did not tap or try to level off the dipper. I know if I tried to level it off (scrape it so it's level with the top of the dipper the charge would be less more so).

HA

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have dippers and cheap digital scale have noticed dippers can vary 2 or 3 grains depending on how you dip!! get a cheap digital fun to compare and mess with :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
If you want accuracy and consistency, WEIGH each load.
I only use the dipper to get CLOSE to the powder charge I want.
Then trickle to EXACTLY the same amount of powder I want.

Accuracy and consistency will come when you keep your powder charges to a 0.1 gr
The only way to do that is with a digital scale.

I would rely on just the dipper ONLY if I was reloading for my 12 ga :flute:

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
HA.. you might try the method that Richard Lee describes in the Lee second edition.... pour enough powder in your coffee cup so you can plow the scoop backwards into the powder, allowing the powder to spill into the bowl of the dipper... once the dipper is just buried, lift it and strike the top off with a business card or similar weight card stock... Lee claims this gives the most repeatable measure... I use this method for plinking and casual target loads... if I'm loading for accuracy/consistency, I use the dippers to pour/trickle into the scale pan and weigh each one...

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I use em like C.T. said and they are really close...not as good as weighing each one but good...

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I use the Lee dippers to dump a slightly less than required charge into the pan of the powder scale and then a trickle charger to bring it up to the correct weight.
I just use the dippers to save time when weighing charges with a powder scale.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info fella's. I'll stick to my scale and use the dipper as a loader for my scale.

HA

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
I think you ought to refine your technique and see how well you can do.......then you might not need to use the scale. Use the dipper as above, and do not "scoop" powder like you're getting sugar for your coffee. The Lee dippers can be very consistent, if the operator uses them correctly. 4198 is more difficult to dip correctly compared to some other powders.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I only use dippers for light pistol plinking loads so even if I screw up and put a heaping scoop in there I'm still under max. My measure will throw very light loads but the dippers don't have to be set up. I still weigh random scoops to verifyI have the right dipper in my hand.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'll certainly try different scooping methods to see if I can get it to within .5 or closer. This load I'm hoping to use for a plinking / target load although in the 1100 fps range it would be fine for critters too!

Thanks again,

HA

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
It is very difficult to beat the safety and accuracy of a good balance scale and a set of check weights.

I know reloaders who utilize electronic scales for weighing charges. But they have the scale protected from any air current, and let it warm for 10 - 15 minutes prior to use. I have an electronic scale and exhaling on the platen will effect the weight as well as not letting it thoroughly warm up. Except for weighing cast bullets, it sets unused. For charges -- either Black powder or Smokeless -- I utilize the Old Tried and True RCBS 10-10. I periodically check the scale with check weights.

My SWAG (Scientific Wild Arsed Guess) is that the fliers can more often than not be attributed to inconsistent powder charges.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have check weights for my electric scale and check zero every time I use it just to make sure and yes it is sensitive to just a breath on it or slight vibrations in my bench.

I was doing up some cartridges last night and did the draw away thing and surprise surprise I was getting 27 gr with the 1.9 dipper. I still had a bit of variance between 26.7 and 27.2 but like 35 mentioned I think I can attribute that to technique more than anything.

The things you learn.:congrats:

HA

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also use the dippers to throw a charge slightly under, and then trickle to bring it to the correct charge, on my 1010 scale. I do this for all my hunting loads. If I am making plinking loads, I use my Uniflow Powder Measure, and weigh every fifth load.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Another nice thing about a digital scale, if I'm making up loads to try different amounts of powder I also weigh my bullets to keep the same weights together. Maybe doesn't make that much difference in a few grains, it's just something I do.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Confucius say......he who weighs every charge don't shoot very much! Confucius also say.......pistol shooter who weigh every charge spends more time loading than he wants or needs.

The point in using a dipper for charging cases is to be far enough under maximum that the weighing part is unnecessary to ensure safety, save for a periodic check of consistency. Once a technique has been perfecting in dipping charges, it is entirely satisfactory as the sole method of dispensing powder and will give no loss of accuracy or repeatability.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts