Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after reading some reviews I think I'm going to start reloading with the Lee Classic Turret Press, they sell a nice kit to get you started at a decent price. My question is concerning the 308 dies as that will be one of the sets I'll need the most. If you go to Amazon and search for 308 dies you get the options below.

Option 1
Amazon.com: Lee Precision Pacesetter .308 Dies (Red): Sports & Outdoors

The Pacesetter set includes the Full Length Sizing Die, Bullet Seating Die and Factory Crimp Die.

Option 2
Amazon.com: Lee .308 WIN Ultimate Rifle 4 Die Set: Sports & Outdoors

The Ultimate set includes the Full Length Sizing Die, Bullet Seating Die, Factory Crimp Die and Collet Neck Sizing Die.

Questions, does the Bullet Seating Die size and crimp the neck? Is the Collet Neck Sizing Die necessary? I'm learning so bear with me. I would assume the Full Length Sizing Die is going to straighten the entire casing and then you would need the Collet Neck Sizing Die to resize the neck? Can you use old brass without having to resize the neck/use the Full Length Sizing Die? I guess what I'm really asking is why the two different sets? What can you do with one that you can't do with the other? Which one should I buy?

BTW, I ordered the Lyman 49Th Edition Reloading Handbook today and it will be here Saturday so either I'll have more questions or less after Saturday, hard to say!

·
Super Moderator
8,036 Posts
Just a question are you loading the 308 for an m1a or a bolt action rifle? these dies will work with either rifle but the m1a needs a base sizing die due to the abuse they get from that SA rifle. I used the collet neck sizing die one time and then has never been touched again. some folks swear by them, I swear at them. If you are venturing down the path of reloading of the m1a much mmore reading to do, a different rifle to reload for. i beleive member Jsteed helped coach me thorugh my start-up purchases. I do like there factroy crimp die, just enough not too much.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I think your choice of initial reloading equipment is a good one. I bought the classic turret, accessories handle, the ergo prime hand tool and a good quality scale.

I also bought the Large and Small primer pocket tool, to cheesey and a waist for money. The disk powder loader system is cheesey as well. I use the Lee Micro reloader thrower, it just seems to never cause problems, and once set, only varies about a tenth of a grain.

Be sure to get a bullet puller, you will stick a bullet to deep or bend the casing neck and need to throw the casing away, but keep the bullet. I found the RCBS makes the best bullet puller.

Reactions: 69Viking

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My current 308 is a PTR91SC AR-10. I also have a Marlin 308MXLR, not sure what dies I'll need for that yet. Hopefully I'll be able to learn a lot when my book gets here!

·
Registered
465 Posts
1) Someone told me that new lee "dead length" dies do not have a crimp ring in them so if that is true it only seats the bullet. Most standard seating dies have a crimp ring in them and have forever. I guess this is their way of selling the factory crimp die which is nice so don't worry about it. Seating dies install the bullet....they don't size anything.

2) The collet die is not necessary although it gives you the option of neck sizing your brass. The collet die is a neck sizing die. The full length die resizes the entire case back to factory specs. You don't use both of these dies at the same time.....its one or the other. Neck sizing is not recommended for autoloaders but in bolt action rifles, it helps the brass to last longer because only the neck is worked by the die and the brass is fire formed to your guns specific chamber. For lever guns, some do it and some don't. The ultimate set covers all the bases so to speak....the other set has the same dies just no neck sizing die.

Check fsreloading.com for all Lee products. They will be cheaper than amazon. If you are loading for a bolt rifle, I'd probably get the ultimate set, otherwise get the pacesetter. I have the pacesetter set for my 30-30.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I load 5.56, Malin 35 rem, 30/30, 444. Glock 45 acp, S&W 629-6 44mag, and ruger 380. The lee turret works like a charm. Reason I put the primers in with the ergo prime is the Lee Primer Pocket tool drops to many primers on the floor, its a real pain to find them.

Also make sure that you reload a dummy round for each caliber you reload. Dummy round is a caliber that is not loaded with powder or primer. It,s a gauge to quickly check and reset your reloading tool when you change calibers.

Have fun with the reloading, its alot of fun and you get very accurate ammo, all other things being equal.

Reactions: 69Viking
1 - 7 of 7 Posts