Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody having any luck with accuracy using this bullet with magnum loads in the 1894? I can't seem to get any accuracy with it using magnum loads. I've got 2400 and 296 loads that chronograph showing great stats, but no decent grouping.

I'm sizing at .359 and using Carnuba red lube with a respectable crimp, and leading is not an issue. Other cast bullets at lower velocities (1350) shoot well in the same rifle.

Just wondering if others are having similar experience with it.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Similar experience with the Lee C358-158SWC.... yes! 2400 didn't work so well for me. The most accurate charge was 11.5gr, at an unknown velocity and that was about 3" at 50 yds.

The best so far has been with H110 at 1782fps, which gives me about 2" at 50 yds (peep sights). I'm not done experamenting yet. I have switched to using standard primers exclusively, even with the slower powders.

My bore is Ballard-cut and slugs out at .357".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Tedak. I can group 1 inch or less at 50 yd with the Lee RNF cowboy bullet and 6.8 grains Unique at 1345 fps, and not quite as good with 11 grains of 2400 with same bullet.

I've yet to find an accurate magnum load for the SWC . I'm not sure it's a powder issue, but maybe the bullet just isn't right for the rifle. I'd like a faster load for longer range accuracy.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
truckmsl said:
I've yet to find an accurate magnum load for the SWC . I'm not sure it's a powder issue, but maybe the bullet just isn't right for the rifle. I'd like a faster load for longer range accuracy.
I'm planning on firelapping my barrel once the weather allows. It's been the toughest barrel yet for me to develop accurate loads for. I can't say how good it shoots jacketed stuff, since I can't afford them shiny, fancy bullets anymore. :)

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Is your Lee 358-SWC cast bullet a plain base bullet? If not, you probably need a bullet with Gas Check seated. I'm driving my Lyman 358156 SWC-GC bullet over 1900fps in my 1894C with great accuracy. My bullet weighs 164gr lubed and gas check seated. I'm using WW296 and LILGUN for top velocity loading.
358 Win

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
358 Win,
It's GC'd so it should be similar to your Lyman boolit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
358 - I've heard others say they've had good accuracy with that Lyman bullet. I thought the lee checked SWC was similar enough that it would perform as well. One thing, though, after checking my rifle, I found the rear barrel band screw had broken. I've replaced it and will re-test that bullet/load combination this weekend.

Does the Lil'gun offer anything that 2400 or 296 does not? Also, are you using magnum primers with the Lil'gun?

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
truckmsl,
LILGUN gives the highest velocity at a lower pressure than WW296 or 2400. Here's what I get from the three powders in my 1894C using the Lyman 358156 SWCGC cast bullet at 164gr.
Alliant 2400 = 1759fps
WW296 = 1818fps
LILGUN = 1919fps

WW296 and LILGUN were tested with CCI550, small pistol magnum primers. Alliant 2400 was tested with CCI500 small pistol standard primers. I must also tell you that ACC#9 has given me super accuracy at 1751fps with the 358156 cast bullet and may become my ultimate powder of choice in my 1894C. ACC#9 was also used with CCI500 small pistol standard primers as recemended by Accurate Powders. ACC#9 had an extreme spread of 24fps. WW296 had an extreme spread of 23fps, and LILGUN had an extreme spread of 62fps. All reading are for 10 shot strings.
358 Win

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
358 Win,

Fabulous info, thanks for that. If my Lee bullet continues to not perform, I may go to the Lyman bullet. By the way, my lee bullet weighs in at 166 grains with check and lube. I like the sound of that AA #9 load and the fact that it uses small pistol primers. I was getting similar chrono numbers as yours with 296, but accuracy wasn't what I'd hoped for.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Go to lasc.us and read Glenn Fryxell's article on 1894 MARLIN...lots of boolit choices and load data.

Go over to castboolits.gunloads and do some searches and reading on the 357 rifle there....they like them in various brands over there like we like Marlins.

John Taffin had an article in AMERICAN HANDGUNNER on rifle/pistol combinations in SEP/OCT 2010 (09?) that should be available at the web site.

Conventional wisdom on MARLINS is oversize for caliber, hard alloy, gas check and high velocity. I bought a 360 diameter 180 grain Wide Flat Nose from NIGHT OWL ENTERPRISES on a group buy at cast-boolits that suits my guns perfectly...gas check for the rifles; plain base for revolvers. NOE had a 200 grain semi wadcutter also...it's been too d*** cold and snowy to shoot it much, but it feeds nicely in an unaltered Cowboy.

If you buy another mould for your rifle, I'd suggest you wait a bit. RANCH DOG is designing a boolit specifically for the 357 1894s; about 175 grain round nose flat point...should be available this spring or summer. Considering my experiences with his designs in my 44s, I know this one will be excellent.

There ain't no such thing as too many good boolit moulds.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Are you experiencing any chambering difficulty with the SWC? Where are you crimping, in the normal crimp groove or somewhere else? What overall length has worked for you? I have a MG unit, that I intend to get going this spring, Lord willing and the sun shines.

Thanks for the thread. I have been loading 311316 in the 30-30 this past fall. It worked out okay, nothing to write home about. I was using Red Dot in my load development.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
truckmsl,
You got me curious so I went and bought the Lee 158-SWC GC mold and casted some up this past weekend. With WW alloy I'm using the bullets as cast diameter on the body is .3594" and the driving band diameter is .3612". Weight lubed, sized, gas checked, comes out
right at 165gr, almost identical to the Lyman 358156 bullets which weighs 164gr ready to shoot. The nose on the LEE bullet is shorter
then the Lyman bullet, but much wider at the nose. I'll give them a try as soon as weather here in NE PA gets a little warmer and less windy. I'm going to use the exact loads with the LEE as I did with the Lyman bullet and I'll report back on my success or failure with the
LEE bullet. This was my first attempt at casting with an aluminum mould and it worked great.
358 Win

1 - 12 of 12 Posts