Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gents.

I am thinking of getting a Lee mold for my 30-30.
Would you use a bullet like this one for yours?

It is .312, 185 gr, round nose. I would use a sizer to get it to .311 diameter.

Thanks so much.
Mad

·
Registered
463 Posts
the_mad_rshn said:
Hello gents.

I am thinking of getting a Lee mold for my 30-30.
Would you use a bullet like this one for yours?

It is .312, 185 gr, round nose. I would use a sizer to get it to .311 diameter.

Thanks so much.
Mad
I think I'd like a flatter point on my 30-30's( with the tube magazine and all), the cast bulletts don't really expand, so the flat point will work a little better. Lee used to offer a really neat 190 gr flat point, but you 'll never find one! I have a 180 gr Lee RN bullet that comes out of the mold at .309, nothing to do but tumble them and load them. Shoots really nice out of my 30-40!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reloaderman said:
I think I'd like a flatter point on my 30-30's( with the tube magazine and all), the cast bulletts don't really expand, so the flat point will work a little better. Lee used to offer a really neat 190 gr flat point, but you 'll never find one! I have a 180 gr Lee RN bullet that comes out of the mold at .309, nothing to do but tumble them and load them. Shoots really nice out of my 30-40!

Mad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cast bullets and accuracy

From the excellent work Yours Truly Harvey Donaldson (pages 41/42) he wrote in effect:

He recommended the Lyman design number 31141 which is a flat nosed bullet. He recommended the 31141 loaded between 1600 and 1800 fps.
His load was "16 gr. Dupont 4759 and this 175 grain gas-check bullet cast one to fifteen and sized to .311. My loads were fired from once-fired MATCH FA brass, and I would have you understand the necks of cases were not resized. My bullets when lubricated and sized in the Lyman lubricator to .311 are just nice smooth fit in the case necks.........My shooting was five-shot groups only, and I am not even going to show you any of the groups. You might believe they were shot from a 308 bench-rest outfit. (page 41 says it was a Springfield Sporter) But I can tell you that that every group as fired was under one inch. You cannot do such shooting with any gas-check round-nose bullets. If you don't believe it, just try it."

He went on to say, "The seating of the bullet into the case is also very important. Never crimp the case neck down into the criming groove if it can be avoided. Sure thing, a lot of bullets have this crimping groove, but that does not necessarlily mean one has to use it. For handgun loads, that is O.K., but when I take all the necessary pains required to cast a perfect bullet, I don't want any case neck scraping the length of the cast bullet before it enters the barrel.
As one old-timer told me recently, he had found that some seventy years of experience in casting bullets was a damn handy gadget to have around. Maybe he had something there."

Fortunately I have a 31141 but have not had the time to devote to casting enough bullets with it. Sooner or later I will give this a try.

Obviously with a tube feeder you are gonna have to crimp the bullet a bit. The trick is to size the case the absolute minimum amount so that the bullet does not act as an expander when seated.

Some guys get around this by turning necks thinner, some by pin grinding the neck of a die to where it will only size a neck .001" to .002". This requires cutting off top of size die just above where the case stops. You will have to deprime with a Wilson tool or a universal decap die.

I agree with the other writer, stay away from round hose and this flat nose is proven by Harvey to be a winner for accuracy. Harvey was shooting sub MOA groups in the 20s and I would classify him as the father of bench rest shooting today.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot, humpy

Mad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts