Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
By the way I fixed the problem, I bought a set of Hornady dies they work a treat.
And that is the best way to fix the problem. I had to send my 38/55 seater back to Lee to get it opened up. My 444 seater had to go back and they lost it, and I had to request a new flare plug. The original plug acted more like a neck expander and a .431 bullet would drop right in. Lee was never great, barely good, and now they're just plain old bad. I'm glad my 45/70 dies from them at least work well.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hornady dies arrived (.444, in my case): they have more or less the same type of xpander as Lee, Hornady works decently, until now_ If not all, they don't scratch the upper part of the cases (my Lee resizer scratched them at the neck)_ Hornady seater seems better built, for sure, but my fundamental question mark remains the correct insertion and above all the crimping of oversize bullets: up to .430 most are ok, but I have some doubts with bullet as-out-of- the mold, lubed but unsized_ (my only test with a .435-out-of-the-mold, only once, out-of-spec/my fault/etc., has been a real flop ...we'll see...)

·
Registered
965 Posts
As an interim cure,I use a large center punch and just give it a tap With a farriers rounding hammer...a light tap! I adjust my taps depending on what hammer,my farriers hammer is fairly heavy..well it's an easy cure for me !( If it don't work use a bigger hammer)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I read the name of this thread (Lee 4570 dies) and I started feeling sorry for the old gentleman and his family. I wanted to offer my condolences. Then I keyed on the thread and what a relief. I feel beter already.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts