Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Went mining at my outdoor range 100-yard backstop where I recently test-fired the PP rounds. Found what looks like the Lee 405 grain PP slugs. They're all mushed-up like this. That was near 2 feet into wet sand and gravel. Found no trace of paper at all.

haven't found the 525 grainers, they went deeper, I stopped diggin when I found dinosaur bones...

Plan to see what they do on stacks of wet paper next. Yep, things are slack around my neck o' the woods.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
very interesting !

I've got lots of 200gr .452 bullets, I think I'm gonna hafta read up on paper patching and try a couple as light, plinking or small game loads for the 45-70

Reactions: Glen Roamer

·
Registered
116 Posts
Guys, you all need to be careful with this paper patching stuff. Once you see how well it works you'll never want to shoot naked bullets, gas checks, or certainly not jacketed bullets again. It is fun and terribly addictive.

Glad you are having good success with that 45-70!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glen I patched the Lee 500 grain RNFP in nearly pure lead (BHN 6) said:
Is that the lee mould 457-500gc?

and in what way did you enlarged it?

Did you pp all the boolit?

I have some of the 457-500gc that is too large in the front half part to stay clear off the rifling.

I've sized them to .452 and the front is some where between .451 - .452, so we have a boreriding boolit that has to be pp all the way, to avoid lead contact ?

How does your 525 grainer shoot now?

Best regards

jhl

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Yes, it dropped a bit too undersized for normal wax-lubed bullets, so I ground that mold out a bit with fine grits then 'Beagled' that mold so it dropped a bit wider as I prefer 458/459 dia cast for my 1895.

I recently broke that mold trying to tighten the sprue-screw, the threads stripped, need to find a repair.

Until then, tried the Lee 457-450-F With very soft roofing lead, shaping up to be the most accurate so far in my 1895 with paper patch and no gas check needed.

That was recovered from dry sand, just 30 grains H4198 pushed that puppy. I did have a foot wide taped-up parcel of wet newspaper to recover some better, but I was scunnered to find I had the wet paper with the edges of the paper pages facing me, the boolits went clean through, duh!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
More of the Lee 457-450-F, pure-ish lead 463 grains all-in.

Middle one was from a wet newspaper pile, it went 16 inches deep. Not bad for a very mild load, 27 grains of 5744

They are far more accurate than I was able to shoot last time out. This was 100 yards sitting position, but I didn't have a rest or sling. They really can do much better, I'll make sure I have sandbag rests next time out.

Proving to be a great PP boolit

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Pretty much all the bases of the very soft PP boolits have marks from the paper/powder kernels ?

Never see this on my regular harder cast wax-lubed boolits.

Note the light rifling marks that do get thru the paper jacket...

·
Super Moderator
9,268 Posts
What a mess those paper patched bullets would make inside the boiler room or our local white tails. Great reporting Glen.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I forget the actual powder charge, but it seems like a moderate load with this bullet, no filler, soft lead, and I was getting around 1000-12000 fps with the best accuracy of any PPB I tried in my 1895 45-70. YMMV. I lubed mine with marine grade axle grease (think boat trailer bearings). I used it because it was available, not because of any magic property it was supposed to possess. Regular axle grease should work just as well :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Diggin up old bones, but I'm curious if the OP is still playing with these. Ive got a bunch of the lee452300s lying around meself

·
Registered
4 Posts
working with an old sharps borchardt with a wonderful looking bore, but the bore slugs at .463 in the grooves, .459 lubed grease groove bullets leaded it terribly with smokeless loads, just doesn't slug it up enough. have an old Lee 405 hollow point mold drops the bullets at.455, sized these down to .452 which wasn't much of stretch, then patched them to .460, now we are getting along with smiles, no leading whatsoever, groups are coming in nicely, haven't settled on this or that powder yet still experimenting, but the paper patch really brought this old rifle around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Roamer, that Lee 450 flatnose is an excellent bullet on heavy game as well as being accurate in a number of guns, have shot a fair number of buffalo with that bullet of which several were big bulls, loading them on a duplexed load of goex 2f blackpowder in a shiloh sharps there just isnt a buffalo that can take the strain when placed thru the boiler, never recovered one bullet even on quartering away shots, on more than one occasion dead centered some enormous ribs either going in or going out. Moose as well will wilt quite quickly, little much for the deer & antelope but sure airs them out as well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Diggin up old bones, but I'm curious if the OP is still playing with these. Ive got a bunch of the lee452300s lying around meself
Yes I still play around with pure lead PP'd in my 1895 45-70 and 336 30-30

Not posted much for a while as I am having an intense love-affair with an 1894S in 41 Magnum that is just crazy accurate.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Roamer, that Lee 450 flatnose is an excellent bullet on heavy game as well as being accurate in a number of guns, have shot a fair number of buffalo with that bullet of which several were big bulls, loading them on a duplexed load of goex 2f blackpowder in a shiloh sharps there just isnt a buffalo that can take the strain when placed thru the boiler, never recovered one bullet even on quartering away shots, on more than one occasion dead centered some enormous ribs either going in or going out. Moose as well will wilt quite quickly, little much for the deer & antelope but sure airs them out as well.
One day I must visit the 'States to try Hunting like this. I continue to dream that day will happen...

·
Registered
636 Posts
I thought about this very bullet for paper patching then got a 310 gr Ranch dog and its worked well with out paper. I have sized my 330 gould bullets to 452 and patched them.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts