Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the course of the past two years, I've been replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs. This has not been a inexpensive project but a very satisfying one.To understand where I'm coming from, our house (new in '02) is flush with can lights, 47 (65w) to be exact and 34 (60-40w) other types. Ceiling fans, chandelier, table lamps, etc. We have a 2 level home so that explains the abundance of lights.
We were always asking family/guests to turn off unneeded lights not because of energy consumption but because of the heat generated in the summer with AC on. Good luck with that!

Well I'm finally down to 33 more to go, all small stuff. The dining room chandelier has 15 small candelabra style bulbs, 14 clear bulbs over 3 bathroom vanities and two ceiling fans 4 left to go. I've not found any that look good yet for chandelier or clear vanity, so I'll just keep my eyes open. The fans (need 8ft ladder) will be changed this fall when cleaned.
We have a automatic standby generator and whenever we have guests and it's running, there is no concern of paying attention to lights anymore. Life goes on as usual.
Has anyone else been as aggressive as me in making the changeover?

·
Super Moderator
4,147 Posts
I’ve changed out all the can lights in our house and some table lamps with LED, anything that gets high use. We’ve seen a 20% reduction in our electric bill. The colors of the LEDS have got much better over the years so we’ve been making the jump. They were very harsh looking in the early stages so we stayed with incandescent for awhile.

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
Now that the prices are down, that's all I use to replace burned out bulbs. As referenced above, today's homes with high ceilings and canned lights make changing bulbs a PITA. I am constantly turning off lights my wife leaves on. Her answer is always, "I was going back into that room" - like it's a lot of work to flip a switch. I guess motion-activated light switches are the answer. :hmmmm2:

That reminds me of a horribly dull meeting I was in with a bunch of accountants years ago. The conference room had motion-activated switches. In the middle of the meeting, the lights turned off. :laugh:

T.S.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I've replaced all of mine too...except in the hot attic and cold basement. (and when one of those incandescent bulbs burn out they'll go to LED also)....I still have a mix of Compact Fluorescent and LEDs....I like the LED's better IF they are the warm glow bulbs...the Cool White or Daylight bulbs can be pretty harsh at times. But I know that's a personal preference.

Compact Fluorescent bulbs don't work well for me in outdoor fixtures...they took to long to get bright in colder weather...or in my living-room where the TV is located. When I had the CF on a timer and we'd go to bed before the light went out...there were several times the TV would come on and ramp the volume up all by itself....we figured out that the CF's wavelength was similar to the remote control IR signal.

redhawk

·
Banned
286 Posts
I've bought a bunch at the local walmart on closeout. Got small bulbs for the chandelier for .75 each last week (25 watt, dimmable) and some outdoor floods for $2.50 for a 2 pack. Also got a bunch of 60 watt a while back, 12 packs for $2.50.

I have noticed that my electric bill hasn't been as high. I've been pleasantly surprised at the difference. Didn't figure simply changing out light bulbs would make much of a difference, but it has.

The life span of the LED's is another bonus.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I just remodeled the master bath. Put in new vanity & tri fold medicine cabinet with 5 lite bar. My wife bought LEDs for light bar and now you have to put on Cool Rays to brush your teeth. Everything in bathroom is white. Thinking of putting sun screen dispenser next to toilet. You set there very long and it's like being in a tanning booth. Less watts and twice the light off the old powder puff bulbs.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
+1 on the compact fluorescents in an outside fixture, Redhaw0. They were about worthless, especially in the winter. We'd turn them on, and then have to strike a match to see if they were lit (as my father used to say). For security lighting, they failed miserably. Someone could have carried off everything outside the house and in the garage before they gave off enough light to see by.We have changed out to LED bulbs in all of our fixtures, both inside and out, although there may be a couple of incandescent lights in the basement/crawl space where we never go, but those will be changed when they burn out.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Anything that runs on resistance uses more electricity. Most people don't think of a standard bulb this way. They leave them on because someone told them it takes more electricity to turn them on than burning them.

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
In my retirement, I have been having nice single family rental properties constructed in the Texas hill Country. Our electrical contractor uses nothing but LEDs these days.

T.S.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I've been replacing bulbs and fixtures with LED over the past two years. My first LED was an outdoor flood light, I was extremely pleased, and impressed with it. The sticker shock was a bit much though, I think it cost around $20 for just the bulb. One 26W LED flood light does the job of two 100W incandescent. Recently installed an LED motion sensor light, another home run. Replaced halogen bathroom track lighting with LED, brighter, dimable and no more BUZZzzZZzzzZz from the halogens. Remodeling my kitchen right now, replacing can lights with two LED flat panel lights.

LED is expensive up front, but saves money and is less of a hassle. If you are going to replace a dimable light with LED, replace the dimmer switch with an LED compatible.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,372 Posts
I had a recessed light over the shower and it apparently was covered in attic insulation setting off the safety thermostat kick the light off. LED installed, no more problem!

AC

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I have switched all of mine but have concerns over health because of them. Is there a negative effect on your body? Some say so. But incandescent bulbs were getting crazy expensive and their lifespan much shorter than the past. I do believe the government is forcing them on us

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I have seen several fires caused by the 4' shop lights with ballast. They all come with chain to hang them but many will mount them to the ceiling. Mostly in basements and garages where they are in contact will burnable materials. No airspace for bad ballast can result in fire. The new shop lites give more lite and don't have a ballast to go bad.

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
In process of doing so. New house to me and changing a bunch. LED preferred. Some of mine are on dimmers, do LED's work okay with those?
V
Ha Ha, I just got up, walked over to the light/dimmer switch and tried the dimmer. The LEDs worked fine with the dimmer. :biggrin:

T.S.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I have heard of no health issues with LEDs. The short lived fluorescent bulbs could be of health issue if broken, the powder isn't good for you.
V
I've heard many. Flourescent were bad for you just being on. No need to be broken

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just remodeled the master bath. Put in new vanity & tri fold medicine cabinet with 5 lite bar. My wife bought LEDs for light bar and now you have to put on Cool Rays to brush your teeth. Everything in bathroom is white. Thinking of putting sun screen dispenser next to toilet. You set there very long and it's like being in a tanning booth. Less watts and twice the light off the old powder puff bulbs.
l learned that lesson early when I replaced 2 of the 10 spots in the kitchen with 5000k bulbs. Made it look like an operating room. Replaced them with 2700k bulbs and used the 5000k for other areas around the house
You have to look at the package and make sure it's 2700k. They're so close to incandescent bulbs you won't know the difference.
I

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In process of doing so. New house to me and changing a bunch. LED preferred. Some of mine are on dimmers, do LED's work okay with those?
V
Sometimes, I've been lucky with mine so far. Sometimes you have to replace the dimmer with an LED compatible one. Make sure you get the "dimable" LED's too.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts