Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been making some of my holsters for a few years now. I got tired of shelling out 50-60 bucks only to find out it wasnt what I really needed to fit my needs. Not to mention just knowing how much in matierials go into making holsters and the rest is name and labor and marketing. This holster cost me less than 3.50 to make in materials in 7-8 oz size leather and about 3 hrs total time. It's made for my cz 27 in 32 acp which was made in ww2 during the nazi occupation of europe. About the only available holster was a flap military type which are big and awkward. It is dyed with Fiebings U.S.M.C black and sealed with ecoflow supersheen. All holes are hand punched with a awl and all hand sewn. Hardware attached with hammer and punch.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Doggone nice work there. I can appreciate anything homemade, "custom made" as it were. I have a few tanned deerskins in storage waiting for a project like that. Last thing I attempted was a flintlock cover. It turned out a bit crude but is very functional. May I ask why you cut out an access port to the trigger? It may be a personal thing but I prefer to have the trigger protected.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Nice, do you do any tooling or border stamping? I've gotten into leather working too, and it has been fun. The only problem is all my buddies want me to make them holsters for free! lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tooled a few,but it's very time consuming and for me,it's just not worth the effort. As for making holsters for friends, I have made a few but as you know materials are not free or cheap. I will charge based on size and the amount of extras they want on it. Just like ordering a hamburger, double meat is extra and cheese is extra too. Conchos,special snaps, dyed ,wet molding,lined holsters all take time and effort or money. A side of 7oz leather on sale is about 65 bucks on sale and I can get about 10 holsters from it. It's all up to you. I collect old pistols and revolvers so making one is alot easier than finding one to purchase.if you can find it. And most times they want a bunch of cash for it and it's all beat up. Just enjoythe craft as I do. A way to keep busy and away from the fridge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts