Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted something to carry some extra ammo to the range and in the field with a bit more class than a plastic box or a nylon case. I found a leather cartridge box by Triple K. http://www.triplek.com/Products/id/38/grp/13/prd/29/ I got the version for .300-.375 mag.

The plastic insert that came with the case was too small so I took the plastic carrier out of the LeverEvolution box and cut it down. Now I have a nice leather case that I can carry an extra 16 rounds in. ;D

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lost goat said:
Nice! Any chance they throw on a belt loop?
Don't think they do any custom work - only as its built. It does have a belt slot in the back.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I have an old one at home that I use. Be careful how long you store brass in it as leather will turn brass a real ugly green. ;D

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
2nd to that.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there teckhardt -- Good thinking - nice solution. I can see their function for storing ammunition, but I don't like carrying ammunition in the field in plastic boxes either. I too am a big fan of cartridge belts, slides and leather boxes. Here are a few of my slides and three-fold cartridge boxes. They are so handy to mix and match calibers on one belt when in the field. Quiet and stylish - every thing I'm not!! Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Very nice. Mine is a rough self made one. Fits my 300 WM. I need to make another one for the 35/30-30.

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Good looking stuff there!!

Wind, is any of those homemade?

Here is a picture I saved on my computer from a year or so ago, best I remember it was for sale on a auction site, it is a .45/70 ammo carrier from the 1800's

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
If any you guys have the knack of making yourself, it would be neat to have a copy of this old one, check it out, another picture of it

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there DT -- Yep, they all are. Karla (www.purdygear.com) made the two tri-folds and I turned the big Sam Browne buttons for them, and she did the holster for my Single Six as well. They all are hand stitched. The carrier you show looks to be an early cartridge box of the McKeever style boxes. She has some very cool rat tail belt pouches in her "available now" section. I have those as well and they are very handy and you don't have to un-do a belt to carry them.

And teckhardt -- Wasn't trying to hijack your thread. Was hoping to show some other options as well as the great choice you made to get this whole thing started!!

Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wind said:
And teckhardt -- Wasn't trying to hijack your thread. Was hoping to show some other options as well as the great choice you made to get this whole thing started!!
No worries. I like to see all the leather gear people have put together. The tri-folds are really nice.

Mine was a quick, inexpensive off the shelf solution but I am sure it will get "upgraded" to something a little nicer as time goes by.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you need/want some good cheap custom leather work done, contact Eugene Oppe. Here is his web site:

www.RnRgunleather.com

He made a lined cross draw holster for my Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine and a ammo slide that will hold 12 rounds of .30 Carbine ammo.

All for around $125.00.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Triple K makes some nice stuff for relatively cheap. I dig the leather look but yeah, the drawback is definately that it turns the brass green after awhile. Another option is a "Waxed Canvas" shell holder. Sturdy, water repellant, quiet and has a classic look. Problem is finding one. Or find someone who sews canvas and is willing to make a custom one.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
My leather cartridge box holds 20 30-06 and less belted magnum cartridges. I never need more than what I have in my magazine but have thought about carrying 6 or 8 extras and some other items like wipes in a zip-lock bag to clean the blood off my hands. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there bigdogbuc -- Grab a drool rag and head on over to Karla's website. www.purdygear.com She can build you just what you want. I would recommend just plain canvas for a belt and not the the waxed material. It's stronger and far more rigid. Here is a prairie belt she did for me with rifle cartridge loops. The loops are long (deep) to cover the bullet end of the cartridges to make it easier to slide a holstered pistol on the belt. You'll have to take a number and get in line, but it is definitely worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
And here is a Ranger style belt that is just for carrying rifle cartridges with shorter loops for ease of extraction. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wind - I forgot the drool rag...had to change my shirt. That's a great set-up. I'll definately check it out. Thanks for the lead!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I also use these, leather belt cartridge holder and My Sharps belt, Old Reliable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts