Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching hunting shows this morning and I have heard several people say the same thing. Hunters that are leasing land are making hunting better. They specifically point to the land owners having another options financially then farming or ranching. In many cases they are can and are willing to do both.

Living in the mid west specifically Ohio. I see more and more private land that was normally open to hunters being leased. The leases that I have seen go for $850 a year and higher. This normally limits the hunter to a 40 or so acres of land with no more then 4 to 6 additional hunters allowed on it. These hunters can be your friends that have paid $850 to hunt this location. Or it might be someone you don't know that has paid.

Now I realize that since I am in my late 50's I have been use to hunting the private lands the way it use to be ...... free. I also know that things change and I am alright with that in most cases. I am just curious how this could be spun as something that is good for hunting or making hunting better. When in my mind it is only financially helping the land owner and possibly stopping people from hunting that can't afford the cost of a lease.

Before anyone tells me that the land owner can do what they want because it is their land. I do realize that, I just wanted to see what other people thought about all this.

Jim

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Nothing wrong with leasing land for hunting. Where I live if you don't lease it you won't hunt. A good thing to remember is to set your membership at a reasonable price to allow money to purchase insurance. A land owner is more app to lease his land to you if he knows he is protected from law suites. Another positive aspect is that your club can set goals to establish better quality deer herds. One club I hunt with have a 15 inch rule, either 15 inches tall or 15 inches wide. It is enforced by a $25.00 fine. This causes 2 positive things to happen. Number one it causes the hunter to spend more time observing the intend game which leads to good safety issues. A better quality deer herd. Check your Wildlife management books to find out the buck to doe ratio so you can set goals there also. You may want to set rules that a member has to take a certain amount of does annually. There will be problems in the beginning with people who always hunted the property in the past. They may feel that you are an intruder to there secret spot. Talk with the landowner about land improvement such as food plots and other things that will better your hunting and improve his land. He may have farm equipment and time to plant crops or food plots and gain alittle more money from you that will be well spent. The main thing is to weed out bad member's and have a safe hunt. Also some land owners may take meat from you but none of them will turn down a turkey at thanksgiving.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts